Cadets

For me the issue is four years into this amped situation, there seems to be no judging of the amped material or of its sound quality. If amplification was reflected in the scores in some meaningful way, then maybe there would be less discussion of it overall. Right now it seems any corps can do any level of quality of amped anything and not worry about how it impacts their score. This seems wrong as corps now heavily rely on this technology to communicate their ideas, shouldn't it be judged?????

• Replies 440
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I really never felt anger towards George because of how the crowd reacted to us. I can see the argument (one that my mother agrees with) that we have to suffer for his arrogance...but I never felt that way. Not that I didn't have doubts about the show design, etc. I have a great respect for George, though I recognize that he can be stubborn and arrogant. That gets to the whole thing: It's a complex issue with complex personalities, just like a lot of life, and I feel like so many anti-Cadets people try to make it black and white.

sending your kids out to be booed, heckled and ridiculed is not what I as an educator call a great environment

Wow. I didn't know that Hopkins could also see into the future. Come on, do you actually think he knew people were going to boo, or that he planned to have the members get booed.

If we want to all see growth in the activity, it may be nice to actually have the fans show up on time to the local shows and watch the div3 and div2 corps, instead of hanging out in the lot. Show the kids of the smaller corps the same amount of respect that the div1 corps get.

There is so much we could all do as fans to help this activity grow. Instead many like to point blame at others (especially Hopkins) for ruining it. Some of you may not like what Hopkins is doing, but I think I could fairly say that he has done more for the growth of this activity than anyone who spends time posting in here has done.

Wow. I didn't know that Hopkins could also see into the future. Come on, do you actually think he knew people were going to boo, or that he planned to have the members get booed.

Yes. People booed the use of voice in 2006, so he decided to increase its usage tenfold for 2007. People booed the use of voice in 2007, so he decided to maintain it in 2008.

For me the issue is four years into this amped situation, there seems to be no judging of the amped material or of its sound quality. If amplification was reflected in the scores in some meaningful way, then maybe there would be less discussion of it overall. Right now it seems any corps can do any level of quality of amped anything and not worry about how it impacts their score. This seems wrong as corps now heavily rely on this technology to communicate their ideas, shouldn't it be judged?????

Blue Devils won last year. So are you saying that they didn't have a good musical balance between their brass and percussion? Can you look at the ensmble music scores from last season and agree to some extent that the judges got it correct nd placed the corps in the proper order? Not trying to be sacrastic, just wanting your opinion.

Whether you are using amplification or not, musical balance is just that...balanced. If there is a major balance problem between percussion and brass it will be commented on.

Yes. People booed the use of voice in 2006, so he decided to increase its usage tenfold for 2007. People booed the use of voice in 2007, so he decided to maintain it in 2008.

Ok, Cadets are still using narration. So do you feel that because of that reason it is appropriate for the spectators to boo a corps during a performance?

There are lots of things about each drum corps that fans dislike:

cadets- too much vocal

blue devils- very easy marching show and very easy horn book

cavaliers- a color guard show with horns and drums

phantom- visual never matches the level brass or drums

etc...

Do these perceived problems contribute to the demise of drumcorps or just your personal enjoyment of the activity?

Every year there are shows I don't like. I don't moan and whine. I take a popcorn break. Oh and last year I supported almost all the corps by purchasing shirts and/or putting money in the gas jar or drum. I would hate to lose another corps, even though they are my popcorn corps.

Ok, Cadets are still using narration. So do you feel that because of that reason it is appropriate for the spectators to boo a corps during a performance?

i find it completely appropriate for people to vocalize their opinions whether it be cheers or jeers.

as long as the tomatoes aren't thrown...pity to waste a good tomato.

Whether or not it is appropriate is entirely irrelevant. George knows that by choosing to program the shows the way he does, a significantly lower portion of the audience is able to enjoy the show and thus the marching members receive only a percentage of the appreciation that they would receive if the program did not contain narration. He's admitted this many times on his blog.