Keep Corps UNPLUGGED!

The point I am trying to make is that there are corps that don't use vocal amplification and a much smaller number that do use it.

There is something for everyone! However you people don't want there to be something in drum corps for people who actually enjoy vocal amplification. Why are you being so selfish? Why can't people that like vocal amplification have a few corps too?

Why stop there?

There is something for everyone! However you people don't want there to be something in drum corps for people who actually enjoy vocal amplification electronics. Why are you being so selfish? Why can't people that like vocal amplification electronics have a few corps too?

There is something for everyone! However you people don't want there to be something in drum corps for people who actually enjoy vocal amplification woodwinds. Why are you being so selfish? Why can't people that like vocal amplification have a few corps too?

Here - let's make a form out of it....we'll need it again anyway.

There is something for everyone! However you people don't want there to be something in drum corps for people who actually enjoy (latest 'innovation'). Why are you being so selfish? Why can't people that like (latest 'innovation') have a few corps too?

:tongue:

Oh, I remember now. This is drum & bugle corps. There are lots of other activities for those people who want vocal music, or electronics, or woodwinds. Omitting them from drum & bugle corps doesn't deny anyone the experience of vocals, electronics or woodwinds. It is not "selfish" - just different.

• Replies 601
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Sorry but that will do about as much as all the other people that have worn t-shirts.

Money talks. The withdrawal of money screams.

So when we start our Non-profit - Society for the Preservation of Drum Corps AND we have shirts AND we get money from people of like mind, we give it to the corp of the year who best demonstrates what we agree are "CORP" VALUES, kinda like a grant or a prize! We'll call it the "Prestigious DCVS (Drum Corps Valient Standards) Award" or something like that, I'm open for suggestions! It's money that could otherwise go haphazardly to any corp or to DCI itself!

First you get the MONEY!

Then you get the POWER!

Then you get the RULES CHANGED!

Why stop there?

There is something for everyone! However you people don't want there to be something in drum corps for people who actually enjoy vocal amplification electronics. Why are you being so selfish? Why can't people that like vocal amplification electronics have a few corps too?

There is something for everyone! However you people don't want there to be something in drum corps for people who actually enjoy vocal amplification woodwinds. Why are you being so selfish? Why can't people that like vocal amplification have a few corps too?

Here - let's make a form out of it....we'll need it again anyway.

There is something for everyone! However you people don't want there to be something in drum corps for people who actually enjoy (latest 'innovation'). Why are you being so selfish? Why can't people that like (latest 'innovation') have a few corps too?

:tongue:

Oh, I remember now. This is drum & bugle corps. There are lots of other activities for those people who want vocal music, or electronics, or woodwinds. Omitting them from drum & bugle corps doesn't deny anyone the experience of vocals, electronics or woodwinds. It is not "selfish" - just different.

Woodwinds!? Get out! That's funny! That will be the day I stop attending Drum Corp for sure. We better get started on our SPDC soon people.

Thanks for reiterating that it's all about you and nobody else matters.

Not at all - you said there was something for everyone. I agreed. I should expand though:

For those that like narration on a football field, there is band and DCI, which are becoming indistinguishable from each other.

Drum corps = DCA.

You're talking apples and oranges my friend.

Music is music is music to me. Let the good times roll.

Talking OVER the music is not music - it's talking.

Narration, or spoken word in general, can be part of the musical presentation.

So when we start our Non-profit - Society for the Preservation of Drum Corps AND we have shirts AND we get money from people of like mind, we give it to the corp of the year who best demonstrates what we agree are "CORP" VALUES, kinda like a grant or a prize! We'll call it the "Prestigious DCVS (Drum Corps Valient Standards) Award" or something like that, I'm open for suggestions! It's money that could otherwise go haphazardly to any corp or to DCI itself!

First you get the MONEY!

Then you get the POWER!

Then you get the RULES CHANGED!

Not quite - as laudable as that all sounds. As long as the tickets are being sold and the souvies are being ordered on line, DCI won't give a rat's ### which corps you wish to honour for it's accoustic integrity.

It's life Jim, but not as we know it....

Not at all - you said there was something for everyone. I agreed. I should expand though:

For those that like narration on a football field, there is band and DCI, which are becoming indistinguishable from each other.

Drum corps = DCA.

I would disagree - Drum Corps is much more than the product on the field - it is about the experience of touring and all that comes with it.

Marching Bands and DCA for that matter don't cater to those looking for a DCI touring experience.

Not quite - as laudable as that all sounds. As long as the tickets are being sold and the souvies are being ordered on line, DCI won't give a rat's ### which corps you wish to honour for it's accoustic integrity.

It's life Jim, but not as we know it....

Okay then, how about some suggestions. Do you have anything constructive to contribute to our cause?

So far, you have made the point that we should give up. That's not helpful.

Let's put our heads together and come up with something!

I'm not saying that I agree or disagree. However this is a topic that I'm interested in.

But after reading all that I can't help but toss in my worthless 2 cents.

Bejamin Britten's Young Person's Guide to the Orchestra, and Aaron Copland's Lincoln Portiat both are written and commonly performed with narraiton. Fantastic orchestral pieces, the later having also been transcribed for wind ensembles. Narration can work.

Corps have been pushing the envolope for years and years and years in both DCI and DCA. It is what develops thier individual corps style. People choose to march with which corps they like. There's something for every one out there, fans and marchers alike, and that I do like. If a corps tests the narration amp waters, and they like it and find it successful, then good for them. If a corps finds that narration isn't thier cup of tea, then good for them.

Amps, pits, pants, kilts, hats or no hats, sunglasses, Bflat or G, dancing or no dancing, chanting/singing or none, creative props, classical, modern, jazz, broadway - what is it really that entertains the audience? It depends on the individual who's looking for entertainment.

I respect you all for your opinions, and hope the healthy discussion continues. (:

Narration, or spoken word in general, can be part of the musical presentation.

I agree. One of my favorite SCV performances of all time (1992 Fiddler) used shouts and chanting in several places. But the issue at hand is whether or not that spoken word should be amped and by extension, should amps even be allowed to infultrate other aspects of a corps performance. I'm saying that it should NOT.

Edited by fluffybunnyfeet