Keep Corps UNPLUGGED!

• Replies 601
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

How about amplification?

I believe very few if any World Class corps are still unamped. In 2004 the Bluecoats made a point of not amping their pit, yet three years later they put out a narration-laden show and will continue to do that this year.

What I like about DCI and their relatively slow transition into more "modern" instrumentation is that it allows DCI to present a wide range of styles instead of keeping a narrow range. I'm sure there are some corps that will stay true to the original idea of DCI and others will stray far away.

Can anyone list the corps that have "jumped ship" and those that have stayed true to the original DCI model?

Since taking control of their own destinies was part of the reason DCI was founded...all of the corps have stayed true to that goal.

Wouldn't you agree, though, that allowing amplification has opened a pandora's box of issues. DCI just passed a couple of rules for 2008 that will allow the use of electronic instruments and the amping of small horn ensembles and soloists! Where does it end? What's next? Doesn't anyone care about the future of Drum Corp? What about the smaller corps that can't compete with big budget corps operating costs? Smaller corps are dissappearing every year. It's just not fair!

Yeah, I remember reading the rules proposal and the reason for amping brass was to counter the brass being drowned out by percussion, namely pit. I dont remember the words verbatim. Soon they will ask to amp the drumline because you cant hear them because the pit and brass are too loud. At that point, you might as well just have the corps do things in a recording studio and play it all exclusively on TV and in theaters, because you don't have live music anymore. What I love about this activity is that all the sounds and music created in it are pure. No modification through computers. Straight from the heart.

Glad I'm a Cav's fan. only ampage is pit.

having helped promote the petitions, truly, the only way to make them pay attention is if you stop giving them money.

otherwise, til then, you'll just be told you're hurting the kids by being out of touch

Agreed. You know, I've been wondering about that line of thinking, too. In looking at the historical shows - I see the kids with long hair and sideburns in the '70s just digging the #### out of playing Blood Sweat and Tears and Chicago. It seems to me the kids pushed the direction of the content. If show content didn't change from marches to something the kids enjoyed doing, kids wouldn't join drum corps and it would wither from lack of participation. Kids don't want to play BS&T & Chicago anymore. They like windband - look at all the enthusiasm on here for Kingfisher's Catch Fire, Cloudburst and American Elegy, and current musicals, and Phantom Phans love classical. As long as the content keeps up with what kids like. If kids didn't think it was cool, they wouldn't do it.

I've never been in a music groups where the "kids" decided on any of the content. The show was presented to the group and you gave it your best and that was it. Unless the arranger is a kid. (probably not) Well, our guy is a kid at heart.

No Mics needed:

On another note, I was watching Sky 87 and some other corps on you tube from before amps and the pit and the Solos were heard without mics. What law of physics changed in the last 20 years to make it so we need miced solos and pit.

Human nature must be, people always want more and are never satisfied with what they have to work with.

With our small group, we started with multi keyed horns which were sold off before the 1st meeting to buy a bunch of 2 valve bugles. We like the 2 valvers well enough. Our next move will be to go 3 valve G Bugles and stay with that for as long as Kanstul will make them. Why 3 valve? Because our arranger would like a a few more notes to work with. (We both would like to stay in G) Another reason is the two valve horns seem to intimidate people at least until they start playing. The good thing is we won't need mics for projection.

We may have some spin off groups later that might use band horns, not really sure yet.

Edited by Kansan

I started this topic so I feel obliged to steer it back on topic.

My main issue is not with amping the pit. I know that has been in practice for quite some time.

My issue is with voice amped narration, specifically.

And with expanding amplification to other sections.

Don't even get me started on the new rule to allow for electronic instruments.

I'm also not saying that DC should not evolve. There have been so many changes and innovations - I can't name them all!

Also, I don't plan on disrespecting anyone's kids. I know how hard you all work. It's part of why I love drum corp so much. I don't want to see this activity go the same route as most sports. The team that has the most money - buys his victory. Let's at least keep the playing field open to everybody's kids. By adding more expensive electronic "things" the gap between the "have" corps and the "have-not" corps gets wider and wider.

Cadets - I love ya! I really do! But I loved ya more before the narration.

Besides amped narration just doesn't sound right. Does anyone REALLY enjoy it!?

Whatever happened to chanting. Now THAT was cool.

Am I the only person who saw the OP's user name and immediately thought of "fluffy fingers" from The Office? Please tell me I'm not alone...

michael_talks_to_daryl.jpg

DUDE,

fluffybunnyfeet - Real Genius (80's flick) Check it out.