Cadets Volunteer -- Day 4 Part 1

Having volunteered on the Cadets food truck for several weeks over four summers 2000-2004 {before marriage and a baby}, I highly encourage you to continue posting.

I am unsure if I know the original poster other then seeing his constant support of Hopkins and the Cadets on DCP.

But if you read his old posts, he had similar issues with the Cavaliers and I believe another corps and wound up at the Cadets as a last resort. Again, not giving a story, read his former posts.

Further, if you read his profile and comments on the Cadets.ning.com , you find a poster who was an unhappy volunteer.

It amazes me that he has put down a fellow volunteer who is giving us stuck at home this summer a view of the corps on a daily basis without subscribing to something and most importantly is helping the corps.

I am sure Hopkins and the rest of the Cadets family are unhappy to see his posts today, Perhaps its time for Bishtom to get a new hobby as this is obviously not working out.

Edited by dooser11

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I applaud anyone who volunteers of their time to help a worthy cause. :tongue:

If, however you are doing it for recognition or believe that everyone should do what you do the way you do it, you are in for a disappointment. Just because someone doesn't work like you doesn't make them less valuable. :dancin:

Sad.

I've volunteered every year at least two weeks a year since 1998.

What have I learned?

Do what you are asked,

take breaks when you are offered them,

laugh when you can,

cry when you have to,

and most of all, make sure you have fun!

Don't worry about opinions and please keep posting I would like to see how our experiences compare!! :rolleyes:

this is why I won't be back...why work my a## off while others are not pulling their share...have any of you actually worked a food truck? Then you know what I am talking about.

and look at the members viewing this thread...he has been online for at least an hour.

Any cheese to go with that whine?

As someone who's had his share of volunteer adventures (though not in the Drum Corps world. Yet...) I can say that just because someone is a volunteer doesn't automatically make them gracious, unselfish, or having the best interest of the people they are supposedly serving at heart. You tend to get fewer such people, and I don't know if this thread's Donald Downer is one or not, but they are certainly out there. Sad, but true.

Irving - keep doing what you do! Writing about your experiences isn't just fun to read, it's actually a valuable tool for recruiting MORE volunteers, so I'd call it time well spent. Maybe you'll get even more motivated ones like yourself to volunteer, since if they've read your stuff, they know a what to actually expect. Have fun, and good luck!!

Edited by troon8

pardon me?

I have meen a tour volunter , and worked my a## off for 6 years

Perhaps the corps for which you volunteered didn't have its act together well enough for there to be a little free time for those working so hard. The fact that you worked your "a##" off doesn't diminish Irving's efforts. Live and let live, man.

Ok, I tried PMing this, but that was disabled for the user. So, here it is publicly, with some slight modifications.

BishTom,

First of all, thanks for all the time and hard work you spent volunteering. I can't tell you how much we all appreciated everything you did. I'm sure you saw everyone's eyes light up when that cooler full of ice came to the truck.

Regarding that volunteer posting, I understand where you're coming from. My mother volunteered once at the same corps, and I put a emphasis on ONCE. She came to volunteer but her main motivation was to be there with me and watch us rehearse, while volunteering her time otherwise. She felt the same type of rude "pressure" from a couple individuals that did not make the experience truly rewarding for her. The thing that seems to be lost is that it is volunteering. The expectation for what a person should do is really nothing and them volunteering their time, however much that may be, is above and beyond.

I get how frustrating it can be that some work less than others, but when you really think about the spirit of volunteering, should that even matter in the slightest bit? There are two reasons why I think this corps don't get as many volunteers as they're truly capable of. You know the first one for sure, and the second is that the newer volunteers can get treated like work horses. Not everyone works the same way so it seems like we should be happy that they're even on tour, spending their time getting to love and help the corps.

I'm curious to see if you feel any of these same sentiments. Also, is there anything that I am missing in this whole situation. As of right now it seems a bit uncalled for. Either way, thanks again for your appreciated time. I know I personally looked forward to having you on tour.

Adrian

Ok, I tried PMing this, but that was disabled for the user. So, here it is publicly, with some slight modifications.

BishTom,

First of all, thanks for all the time and hard work you spent volunteering. I can't tell you how much we all appreciated everything you did. I'm sure you saw everyone's eyes light up when that cooler full of ice came to the truck.

Regarding that volunteer posting, I understand where you're coming from. My mother volunteered once at the same corps, and I put a emphasis on ONCE. She came to volunteer but her main motivation was to be there with me and watch us rehearse, while volunteering her time otherwise. She felt the same type of rude "pressure" from a couple individuals that did not make the experience truly rewarding for her. The thing that seems to be lost is that it is volunteering. The expectation for what a person should do is really nothing and them volunteering their time, however much that may be, is above and beyond.

I get how frustrating it can be that some work less than others, but when you really think about the spirit of volunteering, should that even matter in the slightest bit? There are two reasons why I think this corps don't get as many volunteers as they're truly capable of. You know the first one for sure, and the second is that the newer volunteers can get treated like work horses. Not everyone works the same way so it seems like we should be happy that they're even on tour, spending their time getting to love and help the corps.

I'm curious to see if you feel any of these same sentiments. Also, is there anything that I am missing in this whole situation. As of right now it seems a bit uncalled for. Either way, thanks again for your appreciated time. I know I personally looked forward to having you on tour.

Adrian

Well "fan of the arts" explained himself in his last update (which I thought was TOTALLY unnecessary), so "bistom" can stop his crying now.

Tom,

I know how hard you worked. I've seen you in action. I also know how hard Irving works. His time and sweat is equal to yours.

Tom, i've seen you after a show, after everyone has gone to bed, prepare the next days breakfast, lunch and dinner, oh, and snak and a wounderful desert. You stay up from 11pm until 4-5 am. That's one of your niches in the corps noboby does it like you. When you finish your mighty task you sleep until 2pm. Well deserved! When folks ask where is Tom? We praise your efforts. We are greatful to have people like you with us. You are a night manager at a food store you keep vampire hours. You usually work well with little or no help. That's your style. It's different, It's great. Thank You! I hope you come back.

Irving,

I've seen Irving drive the corps 8-10 straight hours, Help us unload the food truck at 4am in the morning and help us prepare breakfast before going to bed. All the while keeping us laughing and smiling. Irvings primary job was/is a driver but, He would find the time to help the food truck. And do it with a since of humor and energy that lifted every tired soul in that truck. In Irving spare time he runs, lifts wieghts and blogs a little. I am so greatful to have Irving on tour with The Cadets. He is a great guy, a very hard worker and a good person.

Every voulenteer in the Cadets has their roll/ niche. Some of us can do more than others , some of us work through pain and injury and some of us work better at different times of the day. We all have days when we feel we've had enough and can't push on in 99 degree heat. That's when we do like Hop says and choose our atitude, make the day our own. We do it because we love the activity, we love the corps, and we love the kids.

I'll be there this summer, Irvings there, I hope you come back too Tom, I miss your laugh!

Bishtom- WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA nobody works as hard as me ,WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA

Everyone else doing their thing on the food trucks , keep up the great work.

Remember if you realize at 3:00 PM that you lost a band-aid while mixing the tuna fish at lunch, don't say anything.