Memorial Stadium turf ripped out today!

We had shows in all sort of areas in my GSC days, as a marcher and later an instructor and judge.

One was on a pier at Havre de Grace MD....the marked out area for the show (I just CAN'T justify calling it a 'field') was a few yards short front-to-back....with the back sidelne being the edge of the pier. The corps I was teaching, the King's Regiment, attended the show...1977. As the drumline backed up at one point, one of our basses took "one step too far" and....SPLASH!....right in the water he went. :whistle:

When marching with the Livingston Imperial Guardsmen in 68/69. we had one show at the Morris County Fair on the same grounds as the rodeo...horses other animals preceded the show...without anyone bothering to pick up the poop!

Other shows were just in hastily marked out areas of parking lots, with the equipment trucks being used as the "pressbox" for the upstairs judges. Anything to avoid cost, as each GSC corps had to host a show...and few had two nickels to rub together.

I marched that show several times! It was always an interesting experience. At least they didn't try to judge M&M (visual) at that show!

I remember another show we did at Princeton which was a DCE show. They lost the stadium for some reason a few days before the show, so we did the show on a practice field that was bordered on one side by a large hill. The GE judges sat at the top of the hill, with the spectators sitting on the grass on the rest of the hill. I don't think they even handed out towels or blankets to sit on :lol: .

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I marched that show several times! It was always an interesting experience. At least they didn't try to judge M&M (visual) at that show!

I remember another show we did at Princeton which was a DCE show. They lost the stadium for some reason a few days before the show, so we did the show on a practice field that was bordered on one side by a large hill. The GE judges sat at the top of the hill, with the spectators sitting on the grass on the rest of the hill. I don't think they even handed out towels or blankets to sit on :whistle: .

I know the field you are thinking of...it's where the alumni parade...called the P-rade (billed as "The biggest sloppy parade in the world")...ends. You start at the top of the hill on Nassau St, wander through the campus....and end up on that field. They have a reviewing stand set up at the base of the hill.

Basically the Princeton U campus is on an angle, since just about the whole school is on that hill. :lol:

http://indianapolis.indians.milb.com/

How about the Indianpolis Indians field as plan C? IIRC, DCA finals are (or have been) in a baseball stadium...

If they keep changing the location, enough people may opt out of finals attendance that it would be big enough.

Seriously though - time will tell if the stadium is ready. I hope DCI has a plan C - because there is not much time for the repairs to slip. One week of bad weather would kill it...

You know who has great weather... all be it hot weather... during the summer. Yup. California.

Bring it back!

:lol:

You know who has great weather... all be it hot weather... during the summer. Yup. California.

Bring it back!

:lol:

That's the ONLY thing I miss about Southern Cali. I was extremely happy to get to go to finals for the first time since I marched...but now that I am out of Cali, I'll vote no on having finals there again (unless they have it in Qualcomm Stadium).

Bring it back!

:thumbup:

Coeur D’Alene Idaho - If I ever win the lottery that would be on the short list for the summer house.

Great summer weather w/o the California heat.

Winter house would be on Maui...

But, I don't think either is practical for DCI championships. I just hope DCI is talking to Purdue as a plan C.

Go Boilers!

More developments. Read the following article:

INDIANAPOLIS (AP)—Indiana athletic director Rick Greenspan will resign at the end of December amid new NCAA allegations that the school failed to monitor the men’s basketball team.

The NCAA said former basketball coach Kelvin Sampson committed five major recruiting violations during his 1 1/2 years at the school.

Indiana is awaiting a decision on penalties from the NCAA. The infractions committee listened to the university’s defense on June 13-14.

Greenspan said it is important for someone else to lead the department, and the school scheduled an afternoon news conference on campus to discuss his decision.

“I am aware that I have become the focus of criticism, which will continue to distract Indiana University from its core educational mission,” Greenspan said in a statement released by the school. “Consequently, I believe a new person will be in a stronger position to lead IU athletics moving forward and it is in IU’s best interests for me to stand down.”

Indiana president Michael McRobbie said the university “intends to defend itself vigorously against this additional allegation.”

Greenspan was Army’s athletic director before he was hired by Indiana in 2004. His resignation follows a purge of the men’s basketball program. Already gone is Sampson, all his assistants and all the players he recruited to Indiana.

Sampson accepted a $750,000 buyout from the school Feb. 22. In April, Greenspan hired former Marquette coach Tom Crean, a move that has drawn broad support from Indiana fans.

A letter from the NCAA, released by the school Thursday, said Indiana failed to meet standards from May 2006 to July 2007, especially in light of “the heightened monitoring required by the prior infractions history” of Sampson. He already was under sanction for previous telephone recruiting violations when he was the coach at Oklahoma.

I know he doesn't resign till December, but a lameduck AD doesn't help the situation.

More developments. Read the following article:

I know he doesn't resign till December, but a lameduck AD doesn't help the situation.

Son of a #####....

OT, but IU needs to do something about the constantly-revolving door in the University's administration. From presidents to chancellors to coaches to athletic directors, there's been a constant stream of "in-out" people holding high offices at IU that needs to stop. Greenspan was a good guy and doesn't need to be taking this step, imo, but what's done is done.

Why dont they just move the danged thing to Louisville right now and quit jerkin people around?

Note: Allegedly Papa John's Stadium in Louisville is "Plan C"

I wish DCI would just announce what/if they have a back up plan. This, "Trust us, it will be ready in time" does not give me a warm and fuzzy feeling. I thought about making arrangements, and combining this trip to visit my relatives in Ohio. But, all this uncertainty keeps me away.