2008 Cadets show

I am not the least bit hesitant to comment about this show, even though I have not seen or heard any of it, live, internet, etc.

You see, the fact that I haven't seen them yet, is commentary alone.

Over the past 7-8 years, I would have seen the Cadets live at least twice by now. This year I had no desire.

I would certainly have had my tickets for Clifton by now, but not this year. Only my desire to see BAC and Crown is tempting me. We will probably check out one of those two rehearsals, then find a high speed connection for the CA webcast.

Several years ago, when YEA started their music is cool days, my daughters couldn't wait to be old enough to participate in one. This is the first year they could attend, and they will not be going. They want to do one, but with BD or PR.

The troubling thing is that the Cadets staff does not care. The director thrives on controversy and the attention it brings HIM.

He subjected his kids to one of the most brutal booing attacks in Finals week history last year. Not because the reasoning behind hashgate was unsound, but because of the way HE handled it. He is so remorseful for getting his kids bood, that he calls his blog this year "hashmarks". Nice.

When you march in a drum corps, you really hope for 2 things to happen. You want the judges to reward exceptional perfomance and design, you want to win. But probably more important, you want to bring the crowd to their feet. As many times as possible. Anyone who has marched who says different is lying.

The staff has put the marching members, some very talented kids, in a position where they will have trouble experiencing that.

Whenever fans start speaking in terms of "just go get a hot dog if you don't like it", I am sure they do not speak for the kids that work their ***es off all summer.

I will watch the Cadets BOA presentation from Madison tomorrow night via webcast. Kinda like checking out an accident in the other lane as you pass by. I AM SURE I will not like it. I have seen enough of last year to know that.

Football fans want football, not soccer.

Baseball fans want baseball, not kickball.

Drum corps fans want drum corps, not marching band.

Well there you go. You have already made up your mind about how you will feel about it. I don't even see the point in your watching it. Enjoy the show.

• Replies 475
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I am not the least bit hesitant to comment about this show, even though I have not seen or heard any of it, live, internet, etc.

You see, the fact that I haven't seen them yet, is commentary alone.

Over the past 7-8 years, I would have seen the Cadets live at least twice by now. This year I had no desire.

I would certainly have had my tickets for Clifton by now, but not this year. Only my desire to see BAC and Crown is tempting me. We will probably check out one of those two rehearsals, then find a high speed connection for the CA webcast.

Several years ago, when YEA started their music is cool days, my daughters couldn't wait to be old enough to participate in one. This is the first year they could attend, and they will not be going. They want to do one, but with BD or PR.

The troubling thing is that the Cadets staff does not care. The director thrives on controversy and the attention it brings HIM.

He subjected his kids to one of the most brutal booing attacks in Finals week history last year. Not because the reasoning behind hashgate was unsound, but because of the way HE handled it. He is so remorseful for getting his kids bood, that he calls his blog this year "hashmarks". Nice.

When you march in a drum corps, you really hope for 2 things to happen. You want the judges to reward exceptional perfomance and design, you want to win. But probably more important, you want to bring the crowd to their feet. As many times as possible. Anyone who has marched who says different is lying.

The staff has put the marching members, some very talented kids, in a position where they will have trouble experiencing that.

Whenever fans start speaking in terms of "just go get a hot dog if you don't like it", I am sure they do not speak for the kids that work their ***es off all summer.

Football fans want football, not soccer.I will watch the Cadets BOA presentation from Madison tomorrow night via webcast. Kinda like checking out an accident in the other lane as you pass by. I AM SURE I will not like it. I have seen enough of last year to know that.

Baseball fans want baseball, not kickball.

Drum corps fans want drum corps, not marching band.

Deja vu!!!!

This whole thread is out of control.

I just want to take a minute here to mention a couple of Cadets.... Nick and Tekk. I gotta tell you that I commend you both. Regardless of my views on the Cadets this year, I have to give credit if they had anything to do with the way you guys turned out. It must be hard to read so much criticism of your corps, year in and year out, and still participate in the discussion, most often civilly. I marched a show (Suncoast 88) that if the internet was around 'back in the day' would probably have generated a thread or two. I don't know that I would have been able to restrain myself reading some of the stuff you guys have to read. So, props to you.

I marched a show (Suncoast 88) that if the internet was around 'back in the day' would probably have generated a thread or two. I don't know that I would have been able to restrain myself reading some of the stuff you guys have to read. So, props to you.

Have to agree with you there -- I remember after your performance at DCI South Finals, I said out loud to my friends, "wow, that was amazing."

Then, I looking around -- most folks were just shacking their heads, saying, "What was that??"

The 1988 Suncoast Show is one of my favorites.

Times have changed. :lookaround:

But back to the topic, I don't believe that (from what I've heard) the Cadets were trying to imply that happiness was found in a homosexual relationship, but it wouldn't surprise me to see something similar to this in a future show.

I really like pointing this out -- you're about 14 years behind --- :lookaround:

1994 Cadets "West Side Story" Show -- section "I have a Love" and "Somewhere" --- 9:51 on the DCI video stream -- the pairing of Male/Male and Female/Female couples.

I still can't believe they got that one by!!

I first noticed the pairing at the DCI show in Atlanta -- Tara Stadium -- I just sat there with a big smile on my face -- how cool was that!! :lookaround:

And yes, I've seen it in other shows from other corps.