How has winning a ring changed your life?

Wow, my ring was free.

This may sound silly, but it is one of my most cherised possessions. If I ran back into my burning house to save only one object, it would be my ring.

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i've marched 5 corps in 7 years. i won a ring and two drum trophies. twice i went to a lower placing corps... i've thoroughly enjoyed the experiences i've had at every corps i marched.

i've been in a wedding of one of my good friends i've marched with. i still keep in touch with people from every corps i've marched...

if you have a good heart and a good personality you'll create friendships where ever you go.

i mean, it's just marching band.

-christopher

Edited by L1STEN2311

i mean, it's just marching band.

Uuuggghhhh!!!! (Goes running off into the night)

• 1 month later...

I remembered this thread from the summer discussions.

In light of the fact that only 150 of this season's marchers actually won a ring this year, the other 2500+ marchers need to read the comments in this thread.

If the world was completely viewed in black and white terms, only the members of Phantom Regiment can call themselves winners this year. Our world isn't so clear cut.

Food for thought:

1. Is marching in a drum corps only about the ring?

2. For those of you who did not win that coveted prize, are you now rethinking your choice in corps?

3. What is your most important criteria when choosing to audition with the corps of your choice?

A. The location of the corps makes it easy and economical to join.

B. Their traditions fit my values.

C. Their style of music appeals to me.

D. The reputation of the members behavior makes the corps sound fun.

E. The corps is expected to win in the next (?) years.

4. If all of us only march in the best corps, what's to happen to the others? Will those corps go the way of the others that have ceased to exist over the past 30 years?

5. How will you feel at the end of next season if the corps you left actually won the ring, but you didn't. (Don't they call this karma?)

6. What is the most important things about marching drum corps? Is it all about the jewelry the winners get or is it about the people with whom you march and the lessons that you learn?

Finally, I have a hard time believing that all of those members who have not won a DCI championship ring are losers. Is that piece of jewelry really that important?

Food for thought:

1. Is marching in a drum corps only about the ring?

2. For those of you who did not win that coveted prize, are you now rethinking your choice in corps?

3. What is your most important criteria when choosing to audition with the corps of your choice?

A. The location of the corps makes it easy and economical to join.

B. Their traditions fit my values.

C. Their style of music appeals to me.

D. The reputation of the members behavior makes the corps sound fun.

E. The corps is expected to win in the next (?) years.

when i was younger say a few years ago when cap reg and southwind (07?) were still "around"(before they didnt tour for whatever reasons), i thought i could see myself being a corps hopper. starting there then working up to say a phantom, cavi's, bd. etc.

now that ive actually been to a good amount of shows and seeing different traditions alum have and how dedicated they are to their old corps, have friends and met people that have marched all over, and finally being 2yrs from aging out, ive decided on where i want to audition. and even still i thought wouldnt it be cool to say hey i marched at these 2 prestigious places. but now i only want to help out the corps i make be the best they possibly can and be proud of what i accomplished. the only reason i would ever switch is if i was miserable at a certain corps.

and besides when its all over didnt everyone "win" i mean they all grew as people and musicians, have huge extened families all over the country and have people they can now turn to for advice or just someone to talk to.

and besides when its all over didnt everyone "win" i mean they all grew as people and musicians, have huge extened families all over the country and have people they can now turn to for advice or just someone to talk to.

:whistle: Good luck!

For those of you who were lucky enough (or should I say skilled enough?) to win a DCI championship, how did that change your life? Did it open any doors? Did it lead to any job offers? Did it get you a date with the prettiest girl at your HS to the prom? Did it give you confidence to do other things in your life? Or did it have no effect whatsoever?

Winning DCI made it easy for me to get gigs teaching drum corps, which was my career for the first ten years after I aged out.

It helped me by giving me the insights and tools that a winning organization offers. I realized that being in a small corps did not really prepare me to be a great instructor - I learned that from Wayne Downey, Jack Meehan, Jim Ott and Frank Dorittie. Things like the best way to tune a hornline, how to work ensemble, how to effectively warm up a horn line.

The connections I made have served me to this day. And many, many friends.

Winning DCI made it easy for me to get gigs teaching drum corps, which was my career for the first ten years after I aged out.

It helped me by giving me the insights and tools that a winning organization offers. I realized that being in a small corps did not really prepare me to be a great instructor - I learned that from Wayne Downey, Jack Meehan, Jim Ott and Frank Dorittie. Things like the best way to tune a hornline, how to work ensemble, how to effectively warm up a horn line.

The connections I made have served me to this day. And many, many friends.

So will your students be unable to learn these things from you if they don't get a ring?