"They're always ready!"

Annoying, yes, most of the time. But at the Milton, GA show a week or so ago, I forget which corps took the field, but this cute girl about 4 years old took it upon herself to yell "There aways weddy!!" when the whole stadium was quiet....it was one of those very cute and funny moments.

Those are the cute moments that I think everyone is ok with. But 'm talking about the annoying band geeks that have to yell it for every freaking corps. All I'm asking is if we can get original... I'm not advocating crickets and the sitting on hands thing

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

. . .well, at least they aren't asking if our corps are "reedy" yet.

a2sm9956.jpg

:tongue:

/groan

//runs away

HOLY CRAP IT'S A BACKWARDS CLARINET!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

:tongue:

Over here on the left coast i've never heard it for anyone except BD. And no I don't mind it.

Drum Major is Your Corps Ready?

"They're Always Ready!"

I was just watching the Blue Devils "C" corps show on Fan Network, and someone actually took the time to yell this.

At west coast shows I hear this for all three BD corps, but those are the only ones. I did not know this was done for other corps. I always thought it was a BD thing.

Just for kicks I'll stir the pot a bit. I have no issue with fans enjoying a show, shouting out their appreciation and I have no issue with "they're always ready," because to me it represents that we-march-16 hour-a-day-no-we're-NOT-a-marching-band-and-we'll-take-the-field-and-show-you-how-bada**-we-are-NOW!" mentality but..........

If it's been done for years and years, when does it stop being an annoyance and become a tradition for an activity so steeped in tradition?

Troopers always did it when I marched back in the 80s. And I carried on the tradition for awhile after I aged out. One year I took some band friends to the Dallas show and did it for the Troop and they were mortified that I did it. Nothing wrong in showing pride to your corps.

So, no I don't mind when people do it. Kinda like when people yell "Vanguard" now, or how bout "Take 'em to the beach Suncoast?"

Back to the 80s, there was a guy from Streator, IL that may have been an age out for Troop or maybe a parent, that would wear the scarf and cowboy hat and do a rally call on the bugle that got the crowd going before our show.

Or how bout the crazy guy for Glassmen that waves the Union Jack and makes some crazy speech before their show? All good fun in the drum corps activity.

Oh wait, drum corps is becoming more and more like marching band. You're right, let's get rid of all this lame drum corps stuff and keep up with the times.

At west coast shows I hear this for all three BD corps, but those are the only ones. I did not know this was done for other corps. I always thought it was a BD thing.

I remember hearing it quite often for us back in '83.

Drum Major is Your Corps Ready?

"They're Always Ready!"

Drunk drum corps fans, ugh! What are you going to do? I was just watching the Blue Devils "C" corps show on Fan Network, and someone actually took the time to yell this. 30-years ago, it was cool and funny, but now it just makes the people that do it sound like morons. My God people, can't we be more creative? It's old, tired, and frankly, sounds stupid.

Wondering if we can start kicking people out of the stadiums for doing this?

:P

(*OK, sarcasm off). But it really is annoying that we can't come up with something more original. Anyone have any ideas? Post'em here...

I believe that's a Blue Devil tradition ...