It's not narration that's the problem, it's Cadets' pr

I just finished watching Bluecoats at San Antonio. Once again, I was giving them a standing "O" in my living room.

It occurred to me that I have absolutely no problem with the narration in their show ... It adds something the way they are doing it. I felt the same last year.

Maybe we should just consider that all the anti-narration hype being thrown at the Cadets isn't because narration is the anti-Christ, but that the Cadets use of same is what the problem is? Can we posit that narration used effectively is not a bad thing, but that the Cadets are not using it effectively?

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I agree, am watching the live podcast. Bluecoats narration didn't bother me a bit!

In fact I thought it was tactful and classy.

The small bit of singing didn't really bother me much either. As long as that was all they did, I thought to myself that it was acceptable.

Entertaining show!

Now im biting my nails in anticipation for the Cadets.........

:thumbup:

Sure we can. But done effectively or done poorly... and I don't care if it's Cadets or Bluecoats or the Smalltown USA Knights... I just don't care for the speaking during a drum corps show. I want to hear music being played, not a story being told. THAT'S JUST MY PREFERENCE.

But I'll absolutely agree and concede that narration is what's going on these days... corps are having a stab at it and looking to see who can hit a home run with it. Maybe one day it will be done in a show that I too (like you have now found) will enjoy.

Again... narration for me does not equal Cadets suck. I've found their shows to be challenging, exciting and performed by talented kids since they beat my corps in DCI unexpectedly. Gotta give credit where credit is due. Doesn't mean I have to like all aspects of it, though.

I think the Bluecoats' show was the most effective use of narration I've seen to date. It actually added to the show and helped the flow. The Cadets' narration does the opposite. =\

I was thinking the same thing.

It got a little overkill to hype the performance, BUT I prefer the effect of it the way the Bluecoats take advantage of it as opposed to The Cadets.

The Cadets seem to use narration as a "told you so", instead of doesn't this sound nice and enhance our performance.

B'

I just finished watching Bluecoats at San Antonio. Once again, I was giving them a standing "O" in my living room.

It occurred to me that I have absolutely no problem with the narration in their show ... It adds something the way they are doing it. I felt the same last year.

Maybe we should just consider that all the anti-narration hype being thrown at the Cadets isn't because narration is the anti-Christ, but that the Cadets use of same is what the problem is? Can we posit that narration used effectively is not a bad thing, but that the Cadets are not using it effectively?

Very well stated!

That has been my stance since the beggining as well. Maybe its because it has been used for alot longer in the Indoor Percussion art, but i feel about narration as i do about anything else on the field. I like it when i feel its done well, and i dont like it when i dont.

A poor use of it (not lableing anyones use by the way) doesnt mean it should be used.

I dont like dirty snare drums either.. doesnt mean they shouldnt be used..

Cadets have used it okay at times, and annoyingly at times. Last year i thought it was well programmed as in 05. In 06 i didnt care for it. This year im still forming my opinion.. only saw it once very early.

Tony

Can we posit that narration used effectively is not a bad thing, but that the Cadets are not using it effectively?

Yes, as stated Blue Coats are doing a tasteful job with it. Watch some WGI drum line shows, you will see bad narration, great narration, and everything in between.

Okay, second time seeing The Cadets and when the 146 other members of the corps are allowed to perform THEY KICK IT!!!!

Too bad the only get to perform for about 7 to 8 minutes of the show, or this would be....well...you know!

B'

Just finished watching the Cadets............

My sis and I figured that the music was great!

But we thought that the show could have come off just as well without the narration......that you didnt need the narration to tell a story......if you cant tell it through music and motion, then the point of drum corps is kinda lost......

We also thought that the narration took away from the performance and that the visuals/drill were not as stimulating as they could have been.

But yeah, the music was great.

Cant wait to watch the last 5!

GO CROWN!

Just finished watching the Cadets............

My sis and I figured that the music was great!

But we thought that the show could have come off just as well without the narration......that you didnt need the narration to tell a story......if you cant tell it through music and motion, then the point of drum corps is kinda lost......

We also thought that the narration took away from the performance and that the visuals/drill were not as stimulating as they could have been.

These are all good points we have been making since they've been talking over the playing. It just isn't needed to convey the story.

I thought that about Cadets show last year. I loved the smoking hot horn line, and the show over all. Just couldn't cope with the annoying narration. Anyway, it's interesting that you came to this same conclusion that some of us have been saying over and over.

I think personally the narration IS the problem still, whether it's done tastefully or not. For instance last years Crown show. I absolutely LOVED It when I saw it in Murf, then they just had to go and put narration in it. We didn't NEED the narration. We knew what was going on. I don't know what else to say about that except it disappointed me when they added the narration regardless if it "FIT" the show.

It's almost like people are just beginning to say "I guess if we HAVE to have this shoved in our face then we'll accept it if it's done tastefully". Well I'm just not going for it anymore. That's why I don't post on here that much anymore. But I just had to respond to this.

I still don't see why it's needed at all personally. It ruins good shows to me.