It's not narration that's the problem, it's Cadets' pr

Long time reader, first time poster, here. As a former Cadet member, there are a couple things that bother me more than anything else. Let me start by saying I am very much against narration. With that being said, I will not go on about why I hate it. I and 10,000 others could probably write a detailed ten page dissertation on the matter. However, there are a couple things I would like to share, from my point of view.

The first is the fact that I believe it is CRUCIAL people voice their concerns about this subject. So many times I have read, "enough with the flaming, stop with the hating, enough with the criticizing, stop with the negatives..." People need to be heard. If you don't like something you see, let it be known! You probably aren't the only one.

When I marched in a div. III corps, the director told us something I will never forget. He said (somewhat revised) you perform for four different groups of people. The first is yourself. This is the most important. You must love what you are doing, and truly believe in it, because at the end of the day, you are the one who has to live with it. The second is for the crowd. This is almost equally important. You are putting on a performance, not barking into a mirror. If the crowd doesn't love what you are doing, or understand it, what is the purpose of the performance? (mid-90s Madison knew that) The third is to the judges. There are certain criteria that you are judged on that you must abide by. You cannot just be a crowd pleaser, you must also march in step :-) The last is to the critics. The people that write about you (professionally, not on forums). You usually don't worry about these people.

With ALL OF THAT being said... I believe this forum is an outlet for the crowd... THE FANS... to be heard. We are not the critics, we are the people who want to root for them! We are the fans! And you can't ignore what the fans want. If everyone said nothing, just to be polite, this would continue and everyone would just grit their teeth during the Cadets' show. No one wants that.

In 2006 I watched the Cadets walk off the field into the lot behind Camp Randall. The guard had tears in their eyes. Not because their season was over, but because they were pretty much booed off the field. In 2007 everyone in California was laughing at them because the plot of the show was so ridiculous. This year, people are just getting fed up. As an alumnus, it tears me up inside to see this and I wonder how long it will go on. (I don't believe the solution is to stop people from booing. The REASON they are being booed must be addressed)

A close friend of mine and I were discussing the show. He said something that truly sticks with me. He said, "I remember when I used to go to a corps show, see The Cadets and think 'wow.' THOSE are THE CADETS. They would perform their show and you knew you had just witnessed something awesome. Now you see them and you just laugh at how absurdly childish and cheesy their show is."

Now, contrary to that last line, and through my own experiences, I KNOW what a world class organization the Cadets are. I know the values they teach, and how many great people are in that organization. Unfortunately, the average fan only sees the product on the field. The product on the field is what gives you most of your reputation.

Wow. Welcome, and just.......wow.

Makes this whole thing just sad.

Geoffrey

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Hehe. . .this is funny. . . .A former Cadet who hates the narration/direction. I am not a big fan either, but I can see some of you foaming at the mouth to welcome this guy. :thumbup:

(it was after the awards ceremony when I saw them crying in 06, not the show. sorry i was not specific. there were some really nasty comments coming from the crowd)

Since '06 though, the kids who select the Cadets know what's happening. GH even said in his blog this year that " the kids who select The Cadets know what they are getting into " in that controversy has been this corps cousin the last few years. It's no longer a shock to see tepid audience responses now to the Cadets who still, despite the shows obvious design flaws that are so shockingly ill conceived and implemented, have outstanding performing talent nonetheless.

Edited by BRASSO

I believe spoken story content is unnecessary in a well designed drum corps show. (Actually, I believe any structural component of any art form can be successfully deleted for desired effect in a carefully designed work.) Anyway, if spoken story is used, there oughtta be some specific criteria for judging it.

These are the fundamental criteria that I believe judges should use to critique spoken story content in drum corps shows:

Cadets:

--Does the story attempt to convey a universal truth? Yes.

--Do the story and its plot points match the musical composition in style, tone and content? No.

--Are the expository elements clear? Who, what and where? Yes.

--Is the story's tone suitable for a large-scale outdoor venue with marching musicians and choreography? No.

--Does the integrated story feature classic story structure: problem, need, desire, opponent, battle, and new equilibrium? Yes.

--Does the story move the audience? No.

--Is the portrayal of the story's characters convincing in its truth, however stylized? No.

Bluecoats:

--Does the story attempt to convey a universal truth? Yes.

--Do the story and its plot points match the musical composition in style, tone and content? Yes.

--Are the expository elements clear? Who, what and where? Yes.

--Is the story's tone suitable for a large-scale outdoor venue with marching musicians and choreography? Yes.

--Does the integrated story feature classic story structure: problem, need, desire, opponent, battle, and new equilibrium? Yes.

--Does the story move the audience? Yes.

--Is the portrayal of the story's characters convincing in its truth, however stylized? Yes.

Edited by Brutus

Thanks a lot. :thumbup: I sure do miss those days.

so do we. the Cadets came out and kicked ### without a microphone and bad dialouge

(I don't believe the solution is to stop people from booing. The REASON they are being booed must be addressed)

I agree fully with this statement. I love your sentiments and outlook for the Cadets.

I believe spoken story content is unnecessary in a well designed drum corps show. (Actually, I believe any structural component of any art form can be successfully deleted for desired effect in a carefully designed work.) Anyway, if spoken story is used, there oughtta be some specific criteria for judging it.

These are the fundamental criteria that I believe judges should use to critique spoken story content in drum corps shows:

--Does the story attempt to convey a universal truth?

--Do the story and its plot points match the musical composition in style, tone and content?

--Are the expository elements clear? Who, what and where?

--Is the story's tone suitable for a large-scale outdoor venue with marching musicians and choreography?

--Does the integrated story feature classic story structure: problem, need, desire, opponent, battle, and new equilibrium?

--Does the story move the audience?

--Is the portrayal of the story's characters convincing in its truth, however stylized?]

My apologies for snipping your post. This is sound criteria and I mean that sincerely. While I was in drum corps a long time ago, been away for 20 ought years, I was also very much into mime and theatre. Thank you for your post. I was about to post elsewhere regarding narration, however, this makes me rethink my initial reaction, albeit listening to a montage in 2007 with narration and ear phones. I should go to a live show :) Thanks again.

NO. Narration IS the problem. The Cadets should take all that lip flapping nonsense and turn their show into a Broadway Musical and travel around the country (Like Star doing Blast) performing it in Theaters. Extended and obnoxious/irritating narration doesn't belong on a football field.........

Guest xsabers
Hehe. . .this is funny. . . .A former Cadet who hates the narration/direction. I am not a big fan either, but I can see some of you foaming at the mouth to welcome this guy. :thumbup:

To be fair TX, you must be conflicted as well as it will be hard for some of you to simply stereotype him as just another "hater".

For me it is not a surprise to read another FMM of The Cadets feels this way. Many I have spoken to in person have said some of the same things.

I liked the Blue Coats show better the one time their "announcer" couldn't get the mic to work... again, the "less is more" approach would be better. Too much talking imho.

Cadets are clearly trying to establish some sort of identity with the narration, and it's just not something I will ever buy into. I don't go see drum corps for a religious experience, I go for the entertainment. I have to see one of their shows at least 3 times before I can look beyond the narration to see/hear what the corps is really doing out there... the talking is just too much of a distraction.

Seems if the show theme was written with the music/drill being the focus, rather than the words, it would have a wider appeal. I think the "happiness" concept could have been delivered via the guard and the music selections without the need for the narration. The whole radio show thing is too much like a cheesy high school play.

However, each corps has its own personality and branding so to speak, so clearly the kids who choose Cadets are on board with the type of shows that they do and the type of message that they are trying to deliver.