Famous drill references from the past in Crown 2008

TEE HEE!

Some of you folks kill me. I am in no way a Crown Honk, but I would venture to say that if the ENTIRE PREMISE of your show is "Great Endings" then it makes absolute sense to incorporate some of the greatest drill endings into your drill as well. Why only feature the musical endings? I personally thought that using those moves, in the way that they did, was genius. The whole show is a throwback/shout out type of thing, and to pull off the drill as well as the music is excellent. Cutesy? Perhaps. Derivative? Absolutely. That's the whole idea, and they do a fantastic job of it.

Matt... you mentioned that Crown is "winning quick points from the crowd". Well, how many times has the debate raged that shows these days pander to the judges at the expense of the crowd? Not for nothing, but I would rather every corps try to get "quick points" from me, rather than the judges. Would make my viewing of a show a heck of a lot more enjoyable!

John (NakedEye), you mention that Crown uses SIGNATURE (your emphasis) moves. Well, if you are talking about the best endings, and those moves have become "signature", then wouldn't logic dictate that they are the FIRST ones that you should consider using?

Although in concept I disagree with Tekk, I do agree that this here forum can be a finicky wench. I guess it all depends on the corps... And Tekk, I know that part of your frustration has to come from the abuse that YOUR team is taking this year (and last year, and 2006...etc)

I dunno, maybe it's because I am sort of old-school, but I find it funny that folks will get in a twist when Crown is giving (some of) us just what we wanted... recognizable tunes (and drill!) that we can leave the show humming. I personally love the show, and if I were to honk, it would be for BD.

Congrats Crown, you did it again!

Actually that has nothing to do with it. The main reason people dislike Cadets this year and the past few is because of the narration, and I've accepted that. I'm just saying that it seems to me that corps like Crown can do no wrong, and it's all good. But by seeing many of the threads and posts on this forum for the past year and a half I've been on here, there are double-standards taking place. That's the main thing that bothers me. But enough about that.

Crown deserves all the congratulations for achieving what they've done this year and the past couple.

I would venture to say that if the ENTIRE PREMISE of your show is "Great Endings"....

The funny thing is...Rocketman and I bandied about this EXACT idea when we were doing Nightfire in the mid 90s...glad to see someone;s doing it that can pull it off! :grouphug:

But that's my point. I have no problem with Crown borrowing moves or anything like that, but I've seen posts where some people have made negative comments about corps doing the same move they did previously or other corps doing another move which another corps did previously. But if it is not okay with some people for one corps to do that, why is it okay for Crown?

I don't want to come off as hating on Crown because I don't, but I'm just saying. I have seen way too many double standards as of late.

They're not borrowing narration, so it's ok.................................................

Gotcha

Sorry Tekk, probably wasn't clear...

I think that The Cadets take way more then their share of the double-standard deal. I remember everyone #####ing about their shows in the late 90's, saying that they were "too esoteric" and "didn't have melody" etc. Then they came out with the 2000-2003 string which I personally LOVED, and people accused them of pandering.

One thing I know... you put on a Cadets uniform, it seems that you just can't win... even when you DO win.

Another example is the whole narration bit, between what is said about the Cadets narration this year vs. Bluecoats. I can tell you this... I don't like either. I just dislike pretty much everything said by the Cadets (although I see where it is a necessary element in their show) and this year (unlike last) I am no fan of the Blue team's yakking either. I know a lot of folks seem to give BC a pass while harping on CBC, but I gotta say that from my chair, I don't like either. (There you go, no double standard here!) :)

This has taken an interesting turn to say the least. There are folks that make bad posts. I saw the post being referenced on a different thread and agree that it was silly to call out all others as carbon copies. the Corps can't help what a few fans may choose to post. That is the case for ALL Corps.

I love the endings and I know from having a son that is marching the show that it has been reinforced to them that it is a respect of the heritage that they are performing. Of course my thoughts and a quarter only get you 10 minutes at the parking meter!

TEE HEE!

Some of you folks kill me. I am in no way a Crown Honk, but I would venture to say that if the ENTIRE PREMISE of your show is "Great Endings" then it makes absolute sense to incorporate some of the greatest drill endings into your drill as well. Why only feature the musical endings? I personally thought that using those moves, in the way that they did, was genius. The whole show is a throwback/shout out type of thing, and to pull off the drill as well as the music is excellent. Cutesy? Perhaps. Derivative? Absolutely. That's the whole idea, and they do a fantastic job of it.

Matt... you mentioned that Crown is "winning quick points from the crowd". Well, how many times has the debate raged that shows these days pander to the judges at the expense of the crowd? Not for nothing, but I would rather every corps try to get "quick points" from me, rather than the judges. Would make my viewing of a show a heck of a lot more enjoyable!

John (NakedEye), you mention that Crown uses SIGNATURE (your emphasis) moves. Well, if you are talking about the best endings, and those moves have become "signature", then wouldn't logic dictate that they are the FIRST ones that you should consider using?

Although in concept I disagree with Tekk, I do agree that this here forum can be a finicky wench. I guess it all depends on the corps... And Tekk, I know that part of your frustration has to come from the abuse that YOUR team is taking this year (and last year, and 2006...etc)

I dunno, maybe it's because I am sort of old-school, but I find it funny that folks will get in a twist when Crown is giving (some of) us just what we wanted... recognizable tunes (and drill!) that we can leave the show humming. I personally love the show, and if I were to honk, it would be for BD.

Congrats Crown, you did it again!

Well said OrlandoContraAlum! I couldn't have explained their show any better. I've only been around drum corps since 2005 when my daughter began marching so I'm not that familiar with some of the drill moves but I love the show. I know I'm a honk but I'm very proud of my daughter & the entire corps. Look for a new ending in Atlanta..... :grouphug:

Sorry Tekk, probably wasn't clear...

I think that The Cadets take way more then their share of the double-standard deal. I remember everyone #####ing about their shows in the late 90's, saying that they were "too esoteric" and "didn't have melody" etc. Then they came out with the 2000-2003 string which I personally LOVED, and people accused them of pandering.

One thing I know... you put on a Cadets uniform, it seems that you just can't win... even when you DO win.

Another example is the whole narration bit, between what is said about the Cadets narration this year vs. Bluecoats. I can tell you this... I don't like either. I just dislike pretty much everything said by the Cadets (although I see where it is a necessary element in their show) and this year (unlike last) I am no fan of the Blue team's yakking either. I know a lot of folks seem to give BC a pass while harping on CBC, but I gotta say that from my chair, I don't like either. (There you go, no double standard here!) :)

Thanks for understanding my point. My posts were not trying to call out or bash Crown, just trying to get people to understand that there IS a double-standard going on. That's all.

The reason it's not a double standard is simple.....

Crown's BLATENTLY referencing these corps for the said reason....it goes with the show.

Now if they did it again next year and the show theme was "Chicken Farms".....i'd have a problem.

People don't like to see the same mess by the same corps every year. I think if the Cadets did the Zpull every year for 5 straight years...it would lose its effect. But they can bring it out every 5 or so years and it's a nice tribute to themselves.

Tekk.... I seem to recall YOUR corps doing the same EXACT THING IN 2003!!! The show title was "Our Favorite Things" They played a piece of music made famous by SCV....they did a tribute to Madison and even "sampled" their rotating company front....... Then they did a tribute to themselves with Rocky Point! (with the FULL Z-Pull)

Cadets 2003 wasn't pandering? I don't think so. I LOVED THAT SHOW and I LOVE CROWN 2008!

Just enjoy the shows people and stop thinking too much....you are really missing one of the best shows to come around in a long time if you don't just do nothing but enjoy it.

Don't you think it's kind of a fun idea to end your show with little snippets of famous ending drill moves and incorporate them into a show that uses the ends of famous musical compositions. Isn't that neat? Hmmm?

Have I missed the point or did everyone suddenly lose their sense of humor?

It's a drum corps show.

Excellent retort..

Crown is all about ENTERTAINMENT. If the fans are digging the show then that is awesome. They are doing their job. That is exactly what they are after. The bonus comes in the recognition of a very demanding show being performed at a high degree of execution that places them well.