Regrets... I have a few

1987. Madison.... Friday night I went with friends to see about getting ummm, "koolaid" instead of watching the show. In retrospect, now as an adult I would give anything (almost) to go back and see those shows just one more time.

Also, in 91 when Wayne offered to teach me to play Baritone, and offered me a spot in the BD line after I tried out for DM and lost out because I was going to school and couldn't move down until early June. I should have either said yes, or, dropped school for one term to go have the experience of being in a top 3 corps.

anyone else have any Drum Corps regrets?

• Replies 130
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Had the chance to March with Scouts in '85 but couldn't afford to get out there. I still appreciate the effort though, Marc. Thanks!

Was offered a spot in the Colts battery in 1993. I got too concerned with finishing college. What a mistake. If the year looks familiar it's because it was the first year Colts made FINALS! Yuck. That is a sucky regret.

crossmen.

This year.

Making it and not being able to come up with the money.

Seeing them make finals at SA.....making it worse. lol.

That I never learned to close up those interval errors I had in a couple of places....could've been that 1/10th right there!

That I didn't try out for the La Fiesta trio....I would've had the part that Stymie got his major closeup on (and it was in my range)

That I never found out what happened to that Canadien girl who spoke to me following the Montreal show.

1978 - not enuff $$ to march my age out year with the Blue Stars - instead worked in a steel mill for the summer so I had $$ to finish school. Biggest single misteak of my life.....missed the summer with my best friends etc.....stiil could've gotten school done nex year.....

fast forward 23 years....used that experience to convince my son to march his age out with scouts in 2003 after 4 years with them........nuff said....2005 convinced my daughter to stay and age out with Southwind......nuff said......... 2006 convinced my youngest daughter to stay and age out with Bluecoats.......we all will never have enough $$$.........it comes n goes.......memories and friends are forever.....nuff said.

TC

I auditioned for crown this past year on euphonium, and made it through 3 camps on the "cream team". I stopped going to camps because of me not being sure about living the "drum corps" lifestyle of PB&J and gym floors.

So much regret there.

In exchange for allowing me to march 27th in '82, I promised my mom I'd be back in college courses the following summer. Marched Spirit in '84 & '85. EVERY one of my friends marched in Phantom, Madison, and Cavaliers while I took Physical Science with Dr. Bieber the summer of '83. ugh.

I'm proud of myself in that it never occurred to me to go back on my promise to my folks. Looking back, I might've said "Oh HE!! no I'm not sitting out a season when I could march!!"

(sigh)

I marched Cavies in 79. Went back the following fall and had a spot in the tenor line. Stopped going back that fall because I thought I couldn't financially afford corps and going to college at the same time. I now see my son doing some traveling this summer because it's something he's passionately wanted to do for a long time, even though the "practical" decision would be to work/go to school, etc. I really respect him for taking this risk. Sometimes what seems so immediate and pressing really isn't.