Why aren't there any threads about BD's show?

i was surprised to come on dcp tonight and see that there's nothing in the first two pages of div 1 discussion about what the blue devils are doing this year. i hadn't seen or heard it until tonight, when i saw a video from the stanford show in early july. i found it to be incredibly unique and creatively designed, and would probably say it's my favorite horn book of theirs since the early 2000's (though i liked '06 a lot). i haven't seen the uniforms from up close, but the white plumes are highly effective 'from the pressbox.'

at some point around 7 minutes in, an arc and some lines (somewhat twig-like?) pushes forward and compresses while hornline members run forward to fill in spots in front of their lines. a cluster of color guard are inside the arc, and have an incredibly high unison toss while the brassline plays a really aggressive rhythmic pattern. the chords building into the hits are stacked in a VERY renegade-esque way, specifically the one right before the accent pattern/effect moment takes place. if not the renegades, it still seems like a great senior corps moment anyway (and i really mean that in the best way possible). even though i've only seen it twice, both times online, i'd probably call it one of my favorite drum corps moments ever. they also end an earlier piece with an effectively written long fall, and i was really happy to hear the length of it. its something i don't remember hearing in dci in a while.

the one negative that stuck out to me was the writing of the trumpet solo. usually bd solos are more melodic (or difficult), and this one was a bit of a letdown.

i feel like this show uses effect moments in a manner much like wgi drumlines do....key "g.e. moments" in the show are created by means of PERFORMANCE rather than achievements within thematic continuity (unlike the intentions of some dci corps). the theme is presented in a really mature way, and doesn't need any further explanation than the title itself.

edit - i liked the drill a whole lot, too.

to the extent of my knowledge (though i may be wrong), they're undefeated this season. i haven't seen the cavaliers or phantom but it sounds like bd is definitively the 'corps to beat' this year. i feel like this show exudes the power, intensity, and scope of their late 90's shows that dominated dci during that era. any particular reason they're not being talked about more?

Edited by Jared_mello

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Go find the last thread about BD and you'll see why!

just because it's not a surprise doesn't make it any less impressive to watch.

Why, that would be absurd! (someone had to do it)

I don't really know why. It's almost like BD is so mature in their concept and performance consistency that nobody seems to need a rah-rah-go-BD thread for cheering (or bashing).

I really like the show, and I don't usually like a lot of the new BD shows. (But I can't say they don't perform well - ever!) I would really enjoy hearing them go back to their roots some day and blowing the house down. (IOW I think they could incorporate some classic jazz style with their new design direction and still compete for top spot any year.) But maybe it's time for someone else to take up the jazz idiom consistently and bring it into the new millenium. I miss it in DCI shows.

Probably because they're so freakin' awesome people are pretty much speechless.

or maybe because it's boring music...BD Clean yes...BD Powerful yes...Championship caliber yes...

There seem to be more exciting programs out there. BD and Cavaliers aren't one of them. Seems winning and Musical selections don't go hand in hand anymore.

Of course this is just my opinion...

Top musical shows (IMO) and in no particular order...

Crown

Phantom

Cadets (Even with vocals)

SCV

Edited by Phantombari1