Sara's couch, Star of Ind., and a secret DCI meeting

What do Sara Jones’ couch and Star of Indiana’s golden chalice have to do with a classified, top secret meeting of the DCI directors? Let me educate you.

Two of my astute friends (known only as D.M. and K.T. for security reasons) put me on to this topic several years ago. But only now have the facts become evident, thanks in large part to some inebriated guests at the last DCI corporate Christmas party.

Let us begin with the secret DCI meeting: Every September, just as the chatter on the DCP boards begins to die down, a clandestine meeting is held with the directors of every World Class Corps (I am sure that conspiracy buffs have suspected this for years, but I am here to say that the secret rituals of this meeting are not aimed at keeping the Big Three on top). The purpose of this meeting? To distribute the contents of the Prop Bag.

The Prop Bag is a simple faded leather pouch, no larger than a college back pack. But the contents of the Prop Bag have had more of an impact on show design than Michael Boo has had on CD liner notes.

The basic rule is very simple: Each director is required to draw one item (a miniature figurine) out of the Prop Bag and use the item depicted in the figurine as a major prop in the next year’s show. The concept is not unlike the random selection of Dragons during the Tri-Wizard Tournament in JKR’s fourth installment of Harry Potter.

Alas, the Prop Bag explains a variety of unusual thematic decisions, from the Cavalier’s use of a dozen ladders in 2005 to the Blue Devil’s giant paint brushes in 1993. Directors have been reluctant to discuss the Prop Bag, although a frank admittance to the secret ritual could have saved Mr. Hopkins a lot of grief during the 2005 championship season. “What else were we supposed to do with that door?”

Let us consider the draws for our current season:

Blue Stars

Prop: Ten speed bicycle

Director’s quote: “I sure hope our guys know how to read French music.”

Cavaliers

Prop: Severed head

Director’s quote: “That’s so much cooler than those d*** ladders.”

Phantom

Prop: Warrior’s shield

Director’s quote: “I sure wish we had drawn the severed head. Let’s see how the Cavies like it when we kill four people…Ha ha ha ha…..”

Cadets

Prop: $2000 Rooms-to-Go Gift Card

Director’s quote: “That’s not enough money. I was hoping we could put a dining room set and a master bedroom suite on the field, too.”

Blue Devils

Prop: Giant hula-hoop

Director’s quote: “Well, maybe it could be a kind of cute severed head.”

It’s fun to think about historical selections and the influence of the Prop Bag on some of our favorite – or least favorite – shows. And some corps, bless them, always seem to get a bad draw (It’s not your fault, Magic). See if you can figure out which shows were helped, or more likely sabotaged, by the Prop Bag.

Stay tuned for Part II, as I will demonstrate how abuse of the Prop Bag system directly influenced the rise and the fall of Star of Indiana. And as a bonus, I will guarantee that the theme of next year’s Cadets show will be (you read it here first): Holy Name Cadets 2009, MTV Unplugged.

• Replies 116
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Uuummm... :shutup: are you SERIOUS?!

Nice ties in your column though. Thanks for the entertainment

What do Sara Jones’ couch and Star of Indiana’s golden chalice have to do with a classified, top secret meeting of the DCI directors? Let me educate you.

Two of my astute friends (known only as D.M. and K.T. for security reasons) put me on to this topic several years ago. But only now have the facts become evident, thanks in large part to some inebriated guests at the last DCI corporate Christmas party.

Let us begin with the secret DCI meeting: Every September, just as the chatter on the DCP boards begins to die down, a clandestine meeting is held with the directors of every World Class Corps (I am sure that conspiracy buffs have suspected this for years, but I am here to say that the secret rituals of this meeting are not aimed at keeping the Big Three on top). The purpose of this meeting? To distribute the contents of the Prop Bag.

The Prop Bag is a simple faded leather pouch, no larger than a college back pack. But the contents of the Prop Bag have had more of an impact on show design than Michael Boo has had on CD liner notes.

The basic rule is very simple: Each director is required to draw one item (a miniature figurine) out of the Prop Bag and use the item depicted in the figurine as a major prop in the next year’s show. The concept is not unlike the random selection of Dragons during the Tri-Wizard Tournament in JKR’s fourth installment of Harry Potter.

Alas, the Prop Bag explains a variety of unusual thematic decisions, from the Cavalier’s use of a dozen ladders in 2005 to the Blue Devil’s giant paint brushes in 1993. Directors have been reluctant to discuss the Prop Bag, although a frank admittance to the secret ritual could have saved Mr. Hopkins a lot of grief during the 2005 championship season. “What else were we supposed to do with that door?”

Let us consider the draws for our current season:

Blue Stars

Prop: Ten speed bicycle

Director’s quote: “I sure hope our guys know how to read French music.”

Cavaliers

Prop: Severed head

Director’s quote: “That’s so much cooler than those d*** ladders.”

Phantom

Prop: Warrior’s shield

Director’s quote: “I sure wish we had drawn the severed head. Let’s see how the Cavies like it when we kill four people…Ha ha ha ha…..”

Cadets

Prop: $2000 Rooms-to-Go Gift Card

Director’s quote: “That’s not enough money. I was hoping we could put a dining room set and a master bedroom suite on the field, too.”

Blue Devils

Prop: Giant hula-hoop

Director’s quote: “Well, maybe it could be a kind of cute severed head.”

It’s fun to think about historical selections and the influence of the Prop Bag on some of our favorite – or least favorite – shows. And some corps, bless them, always seem to get a bad draw (It’s not your fault, Magic). See if you can figure out which shows were helped, or more likely sabotaged, by the Prop Bag.

Stay tuned for Part II, as I will demonstrate how abuse of the Prop Bag system directly influenced the rise and the fall of Star of Indiana. And as a bonus, I will guarantee that the theme of next year’s Cadets show will be (you read it here first): Holy Name Cadets 2009, MTV Unplugged.

I hope like hell you ae joking.

Heyyyyy! Trains was a good pull for Troopers then!

(fun post, by the way :shutup: )

Does Pioneer draw something Irish out of the bag every year?