Cadets Classy Retreat

The Alumni of these corps should be the ones making phone calls to their respective corps and DCI about bad behavior witnessed.

Everyone else just needs to suck it up and not worry about it.It does not concern you.

You are assuming that it would have been brought to their attention without it being brought up here.

And it DOES concern me (and others). I was a PAYING customer and I WAS OFFENDED by what I saw and heard from SOME of the corps including a corps (Bluecoats) that I have supported for a long time. When I am offended by something I have PAID to see, I have the choice of not PAYING to see it again.

I'm not saying I won't go to another drum corps show again, but I can tell you that unless I hear this situation has been addressed by the Bluecoats management, I will never make a donation to that corps again...something I have done for several years. I personally witnessed some of things mentioned in this thread. I was very disappointed and felt sorry to see the organization being represented in this manner.

• Replies 407
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

n640321170_1627552_3366.jpg

(jesus with the puns...) did he cross the line? maybe... but are you that emotionally invested in how marching bands handle them selves at retreat that you will allow the actions of one member to shred all positive memories of corps x?

i've been a part of lots of corps. i've seen little things here and there that not many others see. you can choose to blow it out of proportion, or you can understand that out of 150ish people in corps x per year, some of them are bound to make social blunders...

Some guy puked in bluecoats... are they all a-holes? certainly not.

some guy in BD was a #####. good for him. the majority of the rest of the corps is made up of great guys/girls.

we're on a giant rock flying through space... eh, we're flipping out about summer marching band. if this is your main issue with life, you must have a lot more figured out in your life than I do...

Edited by L1STEN2311

we're on a giant rock flying through space... eh, we're flipping out about summer marching band. if this is your main issue with life, you must have a lot more figured out in your life than I do...

1. Interesting photo.

2. Interesting assumption that just because people are firm in their beliefs about discipline, respect, dignity, decorum and honor are also not capable of having time to have a life.

Well, yes, some of us have a lot more figured out in our lives by now. One thing I figured out was that being disciplined and respectful at all times in uniform helped me know when to keep my mouth shut and when not to, how and when to show joy appropriately, personal restraint in tough situations, and a heck of a lot more.

Retreat discipline is not about being bad-a##. It just comes off that way. It's about honoring a long and storied tradition that came out of military roots, it's about honoring your paying audience, it's about paying homage to the thousands of others who have stood on that field before you. And when there's only a handful of retreats every year, I expect even MORE discipline at finals than everywhere else. It's really not a time for the kids to let off steam. That's just what it's become because we've allowed some of those kids to lose touch with why we do it in the first place.

I, for one, will be writing a letter to the directors of DCI to ask for a review of retreat discipline and decorum so we can get everyone to at least hold their corps to some kind of minimum standard.

Cry babies. Seriously, you people need to relax. Jolly ranchers were thrown. Fun was had. Roleplaying from the shows was done in retreat. The end is not nigh because of this, and your ######## definition of "classy" is still intact with the few corps who still adhere to it. The world is not going to end because corps x and y do not subscribe to your definition of what retreats should be.

"Cry babies" Oh please, you must be kidding! The actions that took place at retreat were wrong by any standards (even by your low standards). I wonder how the parents of kids in Bluecoats feel about this? They entrusted their kids well being over the summer to the staff of the corps. To find out my child was drunk, making a spectacle of themself in public, while in uniform, at the biggest show of the year, lets just say I would be more than a little upset!!!!!! Several low class corps in DCI owe the Cadets more than a few apologies! Looks like narration is not the biggest problem DCI has to deal with. And to the person that said the Blue Devils were just frustrated and letting off steam, give me a break!!!!!!!! Do the Blue Devils think they were the only corps upset with their placement? Big CLASSLESS BABIES :smile:

A picture really is worth a thousand words.

Kudos to the Cadets (both corps and mamagement) for maintaining their composure and dignity.

I saw the Cavaliers' staff members comments on their forum, something about the members trying to act with the "samurai spirit" or some such nonsense. Pshaw, what a load of excuse-laden bull-turd. The photo does speak a thousand words. Disgusting display, Cavaliers: grow the heck up!

I can only imagine what George is saying ...

1. Interesting photo.

2. Interesting assumption that just because people are firm in their beliefs about discipline, respect, dignity, decorum and honor are also not capable of having time to have a life.

Well, yes, some of us have a lot more figured out in our lives by now. One thing I figured out was that being disciplined and respectful at all times in uniform helped me know when to keep my mouth shut and when not to, how and when to show joy appropriately, personal restraint in tough situations, and a heck of a lot more.

Retreat discipline is not about being bad-a##. It just comes off that way. It's about honoring a long and storied tradition that came out of military roots, it's about honoring your paying audience, it's about paying homage to the thousands of others who have stood on that field before you. And when there's only a handful of retreats every year, I expect even MORE discipline at finals than everywhere else. It's really not a time for the kids to let off steam. That's just what it's become because we've allowed some of those kids to lose touch with why we do it in the first place.

I, for one, will be writing a letter to the directors of DCI to ask for a review of retreat discipline and decorum so we can get everyone to at least hold their corps to some kind of minimum standard.

Well said.

Cavaliers were known as one of the fun corps at retreats, even in 1993. I didn't believe it until we had our first retreat with them, and they were very funny. It was one of those marathon retreats, where we went around the field before entering it. The way they carried on about it, all tongue-in-cheek as best I could tell, was hilarious. People on the outside generally had little idea what went on in the inside of these things.

If George tore this kid up and down, it was surely deserved. If he was clever, he would have handed the guy audition details and tell him there is a process to become a Cadet that doesn't involve laying in their retreat block wearing a Cavaliers uniform.