Cadets Classy Retreat

Nah, I'm willing to bet that its the corps thats doing that all by itself, no other comments and views needed.

Good job Cavaliers

Geoffrey

Yep. That part can no longer be alleged as the proof is right there. Instead of angry and upset though, I'm quite sad about this whole situation.

• Replies 407
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If George tore this kid up and down, it was surely deserved. If he was clever, he would have handed the guy audition details and tell him there is a process to become a Cadet that doesn't involve laying in their retreat block wearing a Cavaliers uniform.

n640321170_1627552_3366.jpg

Seriously though - what was wrong with this kid from the Cavies, was he drunk? Passed out? Just trying to be funny?

The picture had to have been taken by another Cavalier so does anyone know exactly why the kid was lying on the field?

Edited by BigSnareline

If I might.....

Phantom showed up to finale at Finals and laid out a 'dead' drum major along the front sideline along with all the other DM's. Most of the crowd (myself included) thought it was a surprisingly light touch for them, and kinda witty.

Cavaliers have 'dead' members in finale, in a not so subtle homage to the "year of violence on the field" in drum corps, and it's disgusting and troubling.

I thought Green took the joke a too far, but also sense a bit of piling on here.

No, I think it's justified. The key distinction is the invasion of the Cadets block space - that is clearly crossing the line (pun intended).

This has been addressed by their management, and in a year, when the corps all show up for another finale, it'll have been corrected.

I don't see where management has really addressed this issue. It sounded more like an attempt to defend their behavior, and the issue of entering another corps' block without mutual consent wasn't really mentioned.

Congratulating Phantom Regiment = :smile: . Flopping in the Cadet block = :smile: .

Seriously though - what was wong with this kid from the Cavies, was he drunk? Passed out? Just trying to be funny?

The picture had to have been taken by another Cavalier so does anyone know exactly why the kid was lying on the field?

I know the Cavaliers were "killing" each other with samurai swords in their block. I'm guessing that this member "died", but fell down into the Cadets block, which should not have happened.

Perhaps if they did retreat at some of the regional shows they would know how to handle themselves at finals. :smile:

I hope there are some lectures next season about carring a good thing to far. When your good time and traditions interfer with another groups space and traditions you've gone to far!!!

Seriously though - what was wong with this kid from the Cavies, was he drunk? Passed out? Just trying to be funny?

Already covered in this thread multiple times, but I know it's hard to wade back thru all the muck sometimes to find the answer .... :smile:

Multiple Cavaliers were "killing" each other or themselves in a Samuri fashion and this gentlemen unfortunately "died" across the line into the Cadets block (purposefully or not cannot be determined and really doesn't matter). Hard to tell from this picture how long he remained "dead", but obvioulsy it was long enough for Mr. Hopkins to have a word with him .....

(Edited to remove picture -- it's been posted enough here already ... :smile:)

Edited by Liam

The reports were that he was staying "in character" and committing seppuku as a Samurai...to be "funny". No assertions that he was drunk or sick...just a joke that literally "crossed the line". If he had fallen in any other direction other than into the Cadets space I don't think there would have been any fuss over this particular event.

If George Hopkins, or any other corps director has to personally come up and say something to you, you probably should have gotten up a long time ago.

The entire organization should be ashamed of that, instead of trying to whitewash it. When another director has to make one of your own members turn their brain on, it is a problem for the entire corps. If nobody in corps leadership did not have a talk with this member after the incident, it tells me that I am disappointed in more than just rules changes (and related performance issues) in the activity today.

It is incomprehensible to me that anyone who respects drum corps could look at this photo and not be offended.

Agreed. The Cadets showed nothing but CLASS when a member from another Corps broke thier ranks. :smile::smile::cool: No matter what year it is, this could of gotten ugly.

If he had fallen in any other direction other than into the Cadets space I don't think there would have been any fuss over this particular event.

If that is truly the case, then it is even more disappointing. Even back in 1993, you knew not to get into the block of other corps. When one of our members threw something into Boston's block at DCI Mid-America that summer, I thought a brawl between the corps was about to start. I can't imagine this kind of thing was tolerated more in the old days of drum corps.