Future DCA Championships.

You are getting responses from some people that have actually been putting this together, NONE of them resistant to someone else taking over, just because they try to give simple ideas of what goes into it, does NOT equate that they feel they have ownership on it.

Are we reading the same thread?

Thank you Kay.

Sorry Dan, I had the same feelings when I read your response to Dick... are we reading the same thread?

I have no idea how you inferred any of that from what Dick posted.

Let's all take a step back and relax a little and remember why we all go to DCA in the first place... because

we get to play for the biggest and best crowds of the year. That's priceless. If it takes us a little extra effort to

get there every year, so what? I would not want to put DCA's ability to bring in a great championship crowd

at risk for a silly reason like moving championships closer to non-NE corps. Some people on here worry about the

loss of revenue from moving championships out of the NE, and that's legit. But I would worry more about losing

the great crowds. They're priceless!

Edited by J.C.

• Replies 326
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Please, let's all be careful not to self-destruct over this issue.

I think Rochester is an OUTSTANDING and solid location for the DCA Championship. If one was to list the top ten positive attributes for a host city, I believe Rochester presents 8 of them.

Rochester's stadium is currently too small to permit much natural growth, and the city's location does not provide equal access to all participants in terms of cost and difficulty. Then again, the Tournament of Roses Parade (that isn't ever leaving Pasadena) doesn't provide equal access either! Nor does Louisville's Kentucky Derby, New York's Macy's Parade, Williamsport's Little League World Series, and the list goes on.

Also agree with Steve Anderman, in that the Allentown we fondly remember no longer exists. There are several recent deficiencies as compared to earlier years. When brought to the attention of local civic officials, school district officials, and media, the powers in place were NOT concerned. The current Mayor is an arrogant, small-thinking, pretender who oversees a dying city that is being overrun with gang activity and the crime that comes with that. The hotels, even though there are twice as many as before, stand ready to rip-off corps and spectators as they did the last time DCA was held there.

Honestly, I was hopeful the event moved to Winston-Salem, NC. Lot's of positives there, too, and the crowd was rather large under the weather circumstance, but more importantly, a large non-drum corps crowd, possibly meaning a strong DCA Championship attendance figure.

For the DCA event to move out of the Northeast, some other region will need to host a well-attended "focus event" for a few years. Such an event will only be possible with the inclusion of a few "big guns" of DCA.

Set a firm date for such an event 2 years out, and MAYBE, the present big guns will find a way to make the trip.

Dream rehearsed in a public park area in 06....felt like Drums Along the Projects...and during my solo I was playing directly into a large tree.

That's really unfortunate Sam.

You're right... let's move DCA to Santa Barbara so Sam doesn't have to play into a tree.

Probably more competition for resources out there? But I dont know why there arent a few schools that would allow you to use their PUBLICALLY owned facilities for a few weekends a year.

Public School districts are putting up lots of brick walls, road blocks and red tape up for groups that want to use their facilities.

The Districts out here used to house Jr. Drum Corps and host shows but they seem to have forgotten about the activity.

I wanted to use an auditorium for 4 hour rehearsal in 04 and they wanted $100.00 per hour and I pay taxes and have kids in the District. The American Legion wanted more than that.

Don't even ask to use a field for practice. They have signage on all the main fields to keep off the grass. Put down some football field lines and your most likey going to jail.

That's really unfortunate Sam.

You're right... let's move DCA to Santa Barbara so Sam doesn't have to play into a tree.

That was in response to an assertion that we all had schools and football fields to practice on, and you know it.

We didn't have a school or a football field....we had a grassy park in a residential area...we could've VERY easily have been kicked out the first day and had nowhere to practice the show...kinda crappy if that had happened, tp come 3000 miles and not be able to practice the show and make finals.

in 04 we were in a LARGE park area not in a residential zone....at least there we had room (it was the same park CorpsVets were in, btu they had the actual football field o the other side of the complex)

There are a lot of pluses in keeping the Championships in Rochester.

1.The folks running the event know how to organize a event this size

2.The cities infrastructure is well equipped with Hotels and restaurants.Scranton SUCKED!

3.The I@E event is in one of the nicest spots you could pick on the planet to hold a mini corps event.Anyone that had to march backwards up hill in a terribly lit parking lot in Scranton can attest to that.

Ive got no problem with Rochester being the host city but there needs to be a change in the stadium.The stadium was not built with drum corps in mind.The best seats in the house are too far from the front sideline and the sound and excitement of the corps gets lost.I have seen high school football fields better equipped to handle drum corps.

Probably more competition for resources out there? But I dont know why there arent a few schools that would allow you to use their PUBLICALLY owned facilities for a few weekends a year.

That gets harder and harder to do, be ti DCI or DCA...or even local organizations. Legal liability and powerful athletic directors make it tough. We try every year (the past 4) to get our district to agree to house a DCI corps for one night, with no success as of yet. We think it would be vaery educational for our HS band kids to see how a corps operates, and the work ethic they have, but we get shot down every year. Now that we have field turf we are going to step up those efforts...we will see.

Everyone out in the West gets that the NE has had a hold on the DCA activity since inception. I really don't believe I've seen anyone actually debate that point. However, throwing words out like "absolute" and "never" only serves to show those of us "geographically challenged" folks that we aren't welcome in your little "sandbox" in the NE. Does anyone actually believe at this point in time that DCA Nationals in CA would pull 10,000? No way. HOWEVER, to dismiss the non-NE corps with a wave of the hand is arrogant and means only one thing - at some point, maybe not this year, maybe not next, hell maybe not 10 years from now, but at some point, you will eat those words.

West Coast corps are growing - and one day we'll see Nationals in CA. It may be my children or my grandchildren, but it WILL happen.

That was in response to an assertion that we all had schools and football fields to practice on, and you know it.

We didn't have a school or a football field....we had a grassy park in a residential area...we could've VERY easily have been kicked out the first day and had nowhere to practice the show...kinda crappy if that had happened, tp come 3000 miles and not be able to practice the show and make finals.

in 04 we were in a LARGE park area not in a residential zone....at least there we had room (it was the same park CorpsVets were in, btu they had the actual football field o the other side of the complex)

In 06 We were in some little park actually just some open space that we made a field out of and used our trucks for the staff to climb on top of to clean drill. . Then the next day we were in a parking lot across from the old 96 finals site.. Doing drill around the light poles :smile: ahhhh the fun.. Just makes for some stories later on .. (hey remember when you marched into the light pole)

In 06 We were in some little park actually just some open space that we made a field out of and used our trucks for the staff to climb on top of to clean drill. . Then the next day we were in a parking lot across from the old 96 finals site.. Doing drill around the light poles :smile: ahhhh the fun.. Just makes for some stories later on .. (hey remember when you marched into the light pole)

LMAO, 1974/75 DCA practice field was under the approach to the landing strip at the airport. You could see the people looking out of the plane with WTF looks on their faces. So #### loud you couldn't talk when they were overhead, it was like "And another thing.. hold on..." RRRROOOOAAARRR... "OK, you've got to...".

At night we were on the parking lot by the terminal. Still remember, pinwheel left... run around the parked Chevy.. run into postion.. back up but stop before you plow into the pickup truck. :smile:

Oh the joys of being an non-DCA member corps.... :smile: