Future DCA Championships.

Ahh the #### with it. Just please please please put lines in the field lol.

Well....Santa Barbara is grass turf.....so those can't get washed away...

Oh yeah....an VERY LITTLE chance of torrential downpours!

I swear...three times I perform at DCA...TWICE in horrible rain....must be me.

Edited by 84BDsop

• Replies 326
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I love how everyone brings up "we get 30 schools and rehearsal fields for all the corps"

So why are the Renegades having to practice at the community college on cement parking lot for the entire week?

I dont get it.

after all my years in Westshore, I always thought a parking lot WAS a rehearsal field

Sheezus! WHO has blamed Rochester or made ANY criticism of it or Allen Buell???

It simply appears that SOME East Coast folks don't even want to imagine the Championships anywhere else. Thing about this thread is that no one has really called for a move immediately or said that the Championship is bad in any way. Only that as more DCA corps appear and grow outside the East, that perhaps one year it will benefit the entire activity to try it in another region in the country.

Yes we know a bid must be submitted, yes we know that Rochester and other cities are a good comfortable fit, yes we know that you dont take a gamble that could financially damage the activity, yes we know that folks like Allen work their butts off, yes we know that for now the most concentrated fan base is in the NE. All these things are true today and for that reason no one is seriously proposing a move anytime soon.

Some day however if DCA continues to grow, then at that time and only if it makes sense alternate regions might be considered, and for the foreseeable future I think it would be a location not West of Chicago, which to any true drum corps fan is NOT really a long way to go to see a great Championship.

But what is leaving me shaking my head are some of the lame rationalizations posted here which confirm what many have thought are biases about this activity being someones little social club. Some appear to resist it simply because it represents change or because it may mean they would have to do what thousands of fans not from the NE have done for sometime now which is pony up some money to attend, not to mention the large outlays the competing noneastern corps have to make to attend DCA. It makes me think that there are a fair number of people who dont really care if the activity is ever any different than it was 10-15-20 years ago.

Which I suppose is cool and if you have the power to do it, then the rest of DCA would have to just take it.

edited for correctness. not ALL East Coast folks feel that way. please use a smaller paintbrush

signed, guy who drove to Winston Salem

My Post was simply placed to aid anyone who wanted to send in a bid. I took a shot at my friend Alen and I guess I shouldn't have.

Sorry if it offended anyone, but thats what is needed in a bid. I tried to explain it with examples and Rochester is the last example we have had. I could have used Scranton, Syracuse or Allentown, because I was fairly familiar with their bids too.

You must remember I am not on the DCA board, I am a volunteer who runs the I&E. I try to stay out of these types of threads and guess I should have.

No offense taken here!

See you on Friday night (Aug 29th) say hi!

edited for correctness. not ALL East Coast folks feel that way. please use a smaller paintbrush

signed, guy who drove to Winston Salem

just remember you had a 4 hour head start on me!

signed, girl who drove to Winston Salem

after all my years in Westshore, I always thought a parking lot WAS a rehearsal field

And my doctor wonders why I have arthritis in my big toes and no where else. :smile:

And the only lines we saw were for parking the cars....

All of those facts are indisputable...

...however, everything is flux, nothing stays the same for too long, especially with enough people pushing for a change. As the other regions become stronger, and more self reliant, change will come. Especially when more of the Midwest/South/Western Corps become strong enough to start creeping up into the top 10. Until then, I'll enjoy a trip every once in a while to the other side of the country.

Will it happen overnight? No.

Will it be a difficult change? Yes.

May it possibly never happen at all? Sure.

However throwing out words like "absolute" and "nonsense" is nothing more than arrogant pontification that I'm ashamed an adult in this activity would have any part of. There are very few absolutes in this world, and drum corps status quo is definitely not one of them.

Well Marimba:

It looks like you were refering to my post. (Absolute - Nonsence) So this is what I have to say to you if so.

I was REPLYING to a anti North East Post. Which I still consider WRONG.

AND, over all a lot more Positive than the O.P. I was replying too.

The FACTS are the FACTS.

The North East kept Senior Corps, now ALL Age, Going while the rest of the USA and parts of Canada let it DIE OFF. They (DCA) not only allowed other areas to join in, BUT Helped make it happen. As I said even in the historicly Non Drum Corps areas. The South, lead by Orlando and Atlanta. The Mid West, Lead by Minnesota. AND yes now even Texas in the South West. Have ALL Grown and are prospering. Top Corps in BOTH Open and Class A.

Also we in the North East are THRILLED to have the West Coast Corps, like Renegades and and SoCal Dream.

BUT, The FACT is. The South and the Mid West have Grown faster than the West. I know you have a problem out there with DCI Pacific. BUT, that is something ONLY you in the WEST can fix. You have a VERY RICH Drum Corps history, in BOTH Junior and yes even Senior Corps.

As each REGION Grows. So does the Power that comes along with it. Get your 5 or so Corps going. Perhaps even do as I have said else where. Then have a DCA week end in SoCal (maybe in late July) Then one weekend in early August in Northern). Yes, having DCI groups at YOUR- DCA show would be fine. use the ones not goin East for the Junior Championships. That would only make ONE long trip IN California for each group. It would also give you Scores late in the Season by REAL DCA judges.

So come on over. Who on earth could be mad about having MORE Great, High Quality groups. I know with the Talent out there, they should be able to put out more than the TWO great ones you have now!!!!!

Edited by OldStyleCorps

Actually, I pretty much agree with you.

I was actually mostly referring to these posts

Attention, Attention.

Earth to Sam.

Earth to Sam.

DCI arguments do not provide a basis for DCA. Ever.

DCA California?

Are you serious to even suggest it?

Here's an idea: bring that one up at the director's meeting and set an egg timer to see how long before you are laughed out of the room.

It is absurd.

Please stop with the name -calling. Arrogant? Insulting ones intelligence?

DCA is a Northeast gig. That is not a conclusion borne of guesswork, it is an absolute. So drawing upon the obvious is neither arrogant nor insulting. It is, however, prudent.

"Let 'em submit a bid" is so comical. Who, exactly, is "them"? And, if they did "submit a bid", exactly who would show up?

Come on, Sam. It's one thing to have a debate. It's another just to argue for argument's sake.

Put down the shovel.

Give the midwest corps credit for regional development of a stand-alone all-age presentation. A 5 corps field of All-age corps is a worthwhile event (Minnesota, Kilts, Govies, Chops, Lakeshoremen etc.)

Give the West Coasters props for continuing their development (Renegades, SoCal)

The South is impressive, if unstable, with CorpsVets as the cornerstone and Alliance and Tennessee gaining everyone's confidence.

But the East is the beast of this activity and deserves to have the scales tipped in its collective direction.

It represents 7 of the 10 Open Finalists, every World Champion in DCA's history, a traditional and extensive fan base, all 9 of the alumni corps, Ontario and Quebec, Canada and its collective drum corps history and fan base, traditional ticket buyers in Kingston (both NJ and ONT), Rochester, Buffalo, Syracuse, New York, Belleville, ONT, Batavia, Bridgeport, Scranton, and Hershey. The East Coast corps, as the revenue drivers at the VAST majority of DCA sanctioned contests, deserve an ROI commensurate with their net participation.

This evidence stands up to any scrutiny. Emotional rhetoric and individual "wants" are different than organizational "needs."

And, hard as it may be to admit or accept, DCA Finals in the East can provide the All-age fans a Championship level production without including any of the corps west of the Mississippi. The opposite is simply not true. This certainly gives the East Coast corps the whip hand in any discussion or negotiation regarding Championship locales.

I think the directors of the Renegades and St.Paul take this very fact at face value and recognize it for what it is: part of the structure of the organization they chose to join. It wasn't a secret to them when they made the DCA commitment, so to argue "on their behalf" is to insult their intelligence as if these parameters didn't occur to them.

I'm not blind, I don't foresee DCA in California anytime soon (or ever), in fact I never thought I would ever see DCI out here until last year. However I take offense at the idea that it will never happen anywhere except the Northeast, and it being a purely northeast gig. This kind of arrogance is unnecessary, and unhelpful. Especially when it has been proven that nothing in this activity is fixed, and no expectations can be considered absolute.

Edited by MarimbaManiac

Same here..... one of the parking lots at Hofstra University. And the "press box/staff viewing area" was the top of the equipment truck. :smile:

Fran