Future DCA Championships.

I wanted to ask these questions again...

DCA finals has been held in New Jersey, right? How was that?

Remember when Winston-Salem submitted a bid? They had a show there in 2005 and were pretty fired up to have finals there the following year. I went to the show there and, as I remember, it was a pretty cool stadium. I wonder if anyone has tried approaching them again?

Any thoughts?

It was held in NJ at Roosevelt Stadium in Jersey City....LOL Thats a bunch of Condo's now...year 1973... Before my time... Seemed like a great crowd..But I was kind of young..

• Replies 326
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ah....go easy on my Browns. By the way.....which Division is Ct. in...?

DIV I: BIG EAST!!!! ... LOL ...

:-)

Edited by ajlisko

But Labor Day weekend can be tough to schedule a college football stadium, with many of the college teams opening their seasons that weekend.

That (along with a host of other reasons) is why I think that the Rubber Bowl in Akron would be perfect for 2010 on. The Univ of Akron is finishing a brand new stadium for their football team, so no conflict with the college games. It is a classic bowl stadium that would probably seat 12,000 concert side, but would not dwarf the DCA crowd like a Soldier Field or other NFL-sized venue. It is in a decent-sized city, near a larger city (Cleveland), so it has a decent amount of hotels and schools for the corps and their fans, as well as near the big airport for folks flying in. It's not a huge place that would sniff at hosting DCA, and would be as appreciative as Rochester is at getting the tourism $. And, it's a little closer to the Midwest and South corps without being too far away from the NE fans.

All we need to do is find someone there who wants to "submit a bid".

That (along with a host of other reasons) is why I think that the Rubber Bowl in Akron would be perfect for 2010 on. The Univ of Akron is finishing a brand new stadium for their football team, so no conflict with the college games. It is a classic bowl stadium that would probably seat 12,000 concert side, but would not dwarf the DCA crowd like a Soldier Field or other NFL-sized venue. It is in a decent-sized city, near a larger city (Cleveland), so it has a decent amount of hotels and schools for the corps and their fans, as well as near the big airport for folks flying in. It's not a huge place that would sniff at hosting DCA, and would be as appreciative as Rochester is at getting the tourism $. And, it's a little closer to the Midwest and South corps without being too far away from the NE fans.

Goodyear??

My Post was simply placed to aid anyone who wanted to send in a bid. I took a shot at my friend Alen and I guess I shouldn't have.

Sorry if it offended anyone, but thats what is needed in a bid. I tried to explain it with examples and Rochester is the last example we have had. I could have used Scranton, Syracuse or Allentown, because I was fairly familiar with their bids too.

You must remember I am not on the DCA board, I am a volunteer who runs the I&E. I try to stay out of these types of threads and guess I should have.

No offense taken here!

See you on Friday night (Aug 29th) say hi!

Sometimes you find yourself making a positive post and it gets received as being negative.It goes with the territory when you chose to enter into a discussion.Emphasis on discussion.Some people will turn around and suggest that your opinion is indeed fact when all you are doing is offering a opinion.The message should be to shoot the message and not the messenger.When people hear a message they do not like they tend to shoot the messenger.

Not to worry.I get accused of "making some noise" on here too. :smile: I am sure Dick will get that.

Everyone have a great time in Rochester this year.Catch yall next year.

Edited by camel lips

OR

someone needs to make the Chamber of Commerce in that area (or other cities who have no direct communication/awareness of our activity) aware that an opportunity exists. the economy being what it is, more and more of these cities are competing for every dollar they can attract, and even if the area has no drum corps savvy 'advance team' interested or available to act as the local connection, i have seen some places fight hard to get a convention and build a knowledge base to make the event a success.

you say 'submit a bid'. I say 'market your product', make it known that the possibility exists, and see what interest is out there.

OR

someone needs to make the Chamber of Commerce in that area (or other cities who have no direct communication/awareness of our activity) aware that an opportunity exists. the economy being what it is, more and more of these cities are competing for every dollar they can attract, and even if the area has no drum corps savvy 'advance team' interested or available to act as the local connection, i have seen some places fight hard to get a convention and build a knowledge base to make the event a success.

you say 'submit a bid'. I say 'market your product', make it known that the possibility exists, and see what interest is out there.

Hope I'm not misreading this John. If your suggestion is for DCA to send an "advance team" to market our product......I don't believe the DCA as a whole have those resources. Even if they did ......where do you start? If, on the other hand...and I hope this is the case..., you're suggesting those involved in our activity and from a particular area make known the possibilities of hosting a great event such as ours then...I agree.

Someone earlier in this discussion stated that the economic impact to an area holding DCA is $15-20 million dollars. Does that seem high to anyone else?

Someone earlier in this discussion stated that the economic impact to an area holding DCA is $15-20 million dollars. Does that seem high to anyone else?

That is probably Gross not net!And a high Gross at that.

Lets say there are 1500 marching members coming to DCA(thats probably a low estimate..Lets take a low number that they spend while they are in Rocheter say $300 a person.(The average amount I have spent on room and food while in Rochester.)Ive spent as much as $600 and as little as $250.Yes I know some people have bar tabs higher than $250 but hey I am cheap.

That is 450,000 for just the corps and that number might be a little on the low side.

Lets say there are 10,000 fans coming to Rochester.They are probably going to spend a little more than the average corps member because they are not dividing a room 4 ways,eating with the corps and such. Lets say they spend a low number of $500 for a weekend at Rochester.Thats about 5 million right there.

Do some + and _ to that figure and your still in the neighbor hood of under 6 million Gross.

Edited by camel lips