Funniest Staff Comments/Rants on Tour

• Replies 175
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Somewhere in Illinois in 05, we were doing horn warmup in a park about 8 feet from a playground full of kids.

Tech: Low brass, are you serious? You sound like a Q***!

(pause)

Tech: For those of you who don't know, a Q*** is just a like a fart, except it comes from a chick's P****!

(pause)

Tech looks over at the mothers angrily walking their kids out of the playground

Tech: Did I just say Q*** in front of all those kids?

Some baritone player: And you defined it!

Bob Smith (also in 98)..... (Some girl had a shirt with a heart on it) Bob: "Girl with the hard-on, move one step to your left." Girl: "But my dot book says that I'm 3 and a half off of the line." Bob: "Dot book? DOT BOOK?!?!" Bob then descends four levels of scaffolding faster than I thought any human could, runs across the field, and halts his sprint only as he is nose to nose with the girl. Bob (Screaming wildly): "I DON'T GIVE A #### WHAT YOUR DOT BOOK SAYS, I SAID MOVE OVERRRRR!!!!! Bob then grabs her dot book and begins ripping it in half, saying "This is what I think about your dot book." Priceless.

HAHAHAHA!!

Oh man do I love that one. When I started teaching drill again everyone was talking about a "dot book" and I was like "what the #### is a dot book?" Just get into the bloody form!! lol.

Just have to add my favorite quote.

1982 Lake George, NY. We were given a long lunch to just hang and relax, so the sop line went down to the lake to go swimming. An overzealous life guard felt the need to constantly enforce rules and was hacking us for "getting too close to the pontoons, no camel fighting, don't splash", etc. One of our upper leads who has to be funniest and loudest obnoxious person you will ever meet responds with..."HEY!! CAN WE TAKE A <WHIZ> IN HERE!!!"

Dude didn't say another word to us, lol.

Edited by skluyuk

One day in '98 I was having a bad day and feeling sorry for myself. The hornline needed to hurry to get from visual rehearsals to sectionals and I was dragging. The hornline was saying "Come on Taylor, hurry up!" and I was just being a little b**ch so I walked. Anyway, I got over it in an hour or two. The next day a drum staff member walked over to me during rehearsal:

Him: I saw you yesterday.

Me: umm

Him: If I ever see you walking slow while people are waiting for you ever again I will f***ing kill you.

Me: *whimper*

Another time the same staff member went up to another hornline rookie:

drum staff guy: Are you a vet?

rookie sop: No.

drum staff guy: Well, you slack like a vet you piece of sh**. Run back to your sets or I'll kick your a**.

Nowadays I know he's an ok guy, but back then he scared the daylights out of me.

One day in '98 I was having a bad day and feeling sorry for myself. The hornline needed to hurry to get from visual rehearsals to sectionals and I was dragging. The hornline was saying "Come on Taylor, hurry up!" and I was just being a little b**ch so I walked. Anyway, I got over it in an hour or two. The next day a drum staff member walked over to me during rehearsal: [snip]

I wouldn't say that you ever were a b__ch. I think I might use the term high maintenance though. :smile:

One of the standstill/encore/YEA! tunes for Crossmen '04 was "First Circle" by Pat Metheny (cf. Crossmen 1998). It was a small-group tune and for that reason we never spent that much time rehearsing it during winter camps. During ensemble in the spring of '04, a month or two before move-in, our small group finally pulled it off to at satisfactory level, after hacking through it during the previous camp

The response from Drew Shanefield, our brass caption head:

"Whoa. That was pretty good. Especially considering what an absolute BLOODBATH it was last month!"

[N.B. I've been referring to any unsatisfactory performance, whether marching arts-related or not, as a "bloodbath" ever since.]

Jeff Bridges, Crossmen '01:

Hornline, come over here! (Hornline runs to the front of the field). Bend over en look through your legs. Now..............get your head out of your @SS and perform!!!!!!!!!!!

Jason Bentley:

I want you to perform that move like Elvis. Harrold, don't they have Elvis in Holland?

Don Taylor

If you miss that release on more time i will hunt you down tonight's show!!! (and he did:-) )

In 88 we had this sop, let's call him Eddie. Eddie wasn't so good with the marching. Marc Sylvester wrote our drill, and would come in from time to time to work us. He notices Eddie having trouble with the drill...

"Eddie"

"Yeah"

"What's wrong with you. You look like you are trying to chase a chicken around the field"

<general laughter from the corps>

From that point forward, whenever we would get to that part of the drill in a rep, Marc would yell over the Long Ranger "GET THE CHICKEN EDDIE!"

Good times.

In 88 we had this sop, let's call him Eddie. Eddie wasn't so good with the marching. Marc Sylvester wrote our drill, and would come in from time to time to work us. He notices Eddie having trouble with the drill...

"Eddie"

"Yeah"

"What's wrong with you. You look like you are trying to chase a chicken around the field"

<general laughter from the corps>

From that point forward, whenever we would get to that part of the drill in a rep, Marc would yell over the Long Ranger "GET THE CHICKEN EDDIE!"

Good times.

Haha...ok quote...but GREAT signature. Took me a second to get it. Chicken have gills????