Funniest Staff Comments/Rants on Tour

i don't know if i would let my children march with all of these mean instructors out there. why are they so mean to the future of our country?

It's not them always being mean. It's them keeping things interesting. Hearing people yell things like this all day is one of the reasons I love marching. I would much rather be yelled at not to look like Lindsay Lohan after cocktail hour than be tapped on the shoulder and told to watch my spacing on a certain set. Where's the fun in that?

Also, I don't know anyone who doesn't need a good little kick in the rear end sometimes. Though it's not as if every moment on the field is filled with comments such as these. These are just the few that stick out in our minds.

Edited by One Step

• Replies 175
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i don't know if i would let my children march with all of these mean instructors out there. why are they so mean to the future of our country?
Drum corps ain't for wimps....
Tough love.

It sounds bad, but in reality, there is no better place to grow up. It's real life magnified, and if not for getting yelled at and crapped on occasionally, I wouldn't be anywhere near as successful as I am today, and I'm betting many, many others will tell you the same thing.

I have two families, my real family, and my drum corps family. Both I would do anything for..

Besides, sometimes, after 10 hours on a field in 110 degree heat and 90 percent humidity, sometimes you need a good laugh.

Because they realize that, "You're beautiful the way you are...", "Everyone's a winner!", and, "Go to your room/Go to timeout!" really don't mold effective members of our society? They breed wimps, quitters, cubicle workers if you will (if you work in such a lifeless box I apologize... you understand the metaphor :rolleyes: ). Striving for excellence, nay, perfection even when no such thing can be achieved breeds excellence. I don't want a well rounded kid... a kid that can kind of do a lot of things... I want a kid that's really F'ing good at something, something he or she loves. I want a champion, not necessarily a championship, but a champion.

We had a rook-out from italy this year

"Nicoli, I swear, if your feet phase out of time this rep - I will make sure George Bush declares war on Italy"

Ladies and Gents, Aaron Barnes

and '07 after a tired visual block

Sully: Ok everyone bring it in.

*Corps comes around the drum major podium*

Sully: Raise your right hand.

*weird looks are exchanged amongst the corps*

Sully: Repeat after me....I swear, to keep my ######n' feet in time. Everyone SAY IT.

*Corps recites pledge*

Edited by Notorious T-U-B-A

Then there were moments like this, where they'd ask us to do something on the spot...

"Hey PCs, this moment needs to be big... you're in the middle of blocks of horn players, and they're pointing at you... make up something diva and fabulous."

Our response? We did the chicken dance =)

Too bad that didn't actually make it into the show. :rolleyes:

“We need to explore more dynamics other than our typical Renegade dynamic range...........which is horns up, horns down loud, louder, really loud, and not playing.”

~ Chris Nalls to the 'Gades 2007 hornline (may have been 2006)

:rolleyes:

Fixed. :w00t:

Because they realize that, "You're beautiful the way you are...", "Everyone's a winner!", and, "Go to your room/Go to timeout!" really don't mold effective members of our society? ...

... I want a champion, not necessarily a championship, but a champion.

Good post. The best instructors know how to say things like that without being abusive. The members are generally working really, really hard, so anything like that is probably a relief and a laugh more than some kind of insult. I like working with drums corps people, because they know what it takes and just get 'er done.

I was bombarded with Float-isms as a kid. I have even read your dictionary. My then instructor ('83-'85), and now good friend, marched with you in '82. Joe Cartagena - Q5. Do you remember him?

Of course! He marched next to me most of the show, being that I was on end of the snare line. He was the tallest in the tenor line and I was the shortest in the snare line! I remember that he had some great chops.

Because the future of our country needs to learn to harden up, toughen up and take it on the chin. If not, they'll be walked all over for the rest of their lives.

These "mean" instructors know that words won't kill anyone and that to truly excel at what they are doing they have to be able to look beyond the hurtful words and realize the intent. They also have to learn to take C### and give it back just as good.

And the best thing they learn? That bad words, mean faces and hateful looks won't hurt them, but screwing up on the field and not meeting their own personal expectations is worse than anything anyone else can do to them.