Most corps ever from a single town

NYC had a corps from almost every Catholic parish in the 50's and especially the 60's...imagine how many corps that was. Rochester NY alone had 11-12 junior corps that I can think of right away.... and at least 3-4 seniors on any given year.

The state championships used to have prelims to narrow it down to 10 corps for finals in NYS. and that didnt count the senior corps.

Donny

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

NYC had a corps from almost every Catholic parish in the 50's and especially the 60's...imagine how many corps that was. Rochester NY alone had 11-12 junior corps that I can think of right away.... and at least 3-4 seniors on any given year.

The state championships used to have prelims to narrow it down to 10 corps for finals in NYS. and that didnt count the senior corps.

Donny

I recall a number of small parade corps attached to volunteer fire departments in upstate NY, as well...I was with one before I did Empire in 87...but I think we're talking about field corps here.

I remember gworing up in the 60-70's and it seemed that every town in NEW JERSEY had a drum corps. They even had the Garden State Circut. In my head I can count 30 corps compiting at the same time from within 40 miles of each other. Someone once told me that in 2000 there were onl about 75 active corps while the State of New Jersey had 175 in the 70's alone, for whatever thats worth.

Same memory here, Pete. NJ had a whole bunch of corps back in our day.

My first season with the Manville Crusaders....1971... I think there were something like 23 junior corps in competition that year at the American Legion state championship in Wildwood.

Fran

I recall a number of small parade corps attached to volunteer fire departments in upstate NY, as well...I was with one before I did Empire in 87...but I think we're talking about field corps here.

I am talking about field corps Sam. It was the 60's though.

Within perhaps a 70 mile radius:

NorCal (6): BD (A, B, C), SCV, SCVC, Renegades

Sam, Sacramento is only an hour from San Francisco, so I'd say 7 with Mandarins

Malden,Massachusetts

Princemen

East Coast Jazz

Black Barons

Diplomats

1 more???

Well......... I'm sure nobody on this forum will believe it with the lack of drum corps in the Northwest lately but, in the early '70's the Seattle area had eight!

1-Black Watch-Auburn

2-Cascades-Seattle

3-Imperials-Seattle

4-Shamrocks-Seattle

5-Sentinels-Bellevue

6-Guardsmen-Bellevue

7-Thunderbirds-Seattle

8-Titans-Bremerton

Rice

EMASS and CYO circuits in Mass must have had 15-20 corps competing in 3 classes during the 70's.

That did not include North Star, 27 and Boston who were competing nationally during most of that time period.

Charisma was a merger of the Socialites(Saugus) and Jeanettes(Lynn). They only competed in '79. Biggest all-girl corps I ever saw but sloppy as heck.