DCI or BOA

Has the OP come back to this topic? I'd be curious to know what BOA band he thinks can compete at the DCI semi-final level. We have some great BOA program in my area (Lassiter, Kennesaw Mountain, etc.) and the level of difference between DCI and BOA in terms of performance excellence is huge...now design is another topic....

• Replies 128
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I stopped reading after this... WOW... really.?!? most boring year since mid 90s.. hm. :bigsmile::united::fight:

Ok i read a little further. I'm from Iowa, I teach a big'ish school in Iowa, and I'd love to know what band you're talking about. enlighten me.

Sorry if I offended anyone with my opinion, but I honestly thought 2008 was weaker than any year this decade. I enjoyed every show I saw this year(even Cadets minus the talking), but only about 8 shows really excited me, and most years there are between 11-15 shows I just absolutely can't wait until I get the high quality DVD in November. Some years, like 2000, there have been 18 shows I just couldn't wait to see.

The only school that I am aware of that has competed in BOA from Iowa lately is Davenport Central. I think if you would compare them to DCI corps, I would put them close to the level of Spirit. Now granted it has been 2 years since they have been at any of the competitions I have been to, but just in general, I think the product they put on the field every year I have seen them is fantastic. There are other bands I think that would possibly be competing for semi's in DCI from the state of Iowa. Cedar Rapids Prairie, Waterloo West, West Des Moines Valley, Independence, Oskaloosa, and Pella. These bands are definitely better than the lower placing corps that I have seen in DCI most years. And these bands wouldn't even come close to competing for placement at BOA.

So for example, let's just take Pioneer as an example. I like Pioneer every year, and usually there are 19 shows that I like a little bit better. But after seeing video of BOA, I think most of these bands appear to be better than Pioneer. So yes, the very top corps may be a lot better than the best bands of BOA, but in general, there will probably be 65-70 bands in BOA that are better than Pioneer, who I really do like, so that means there is a much greater chance that I will love more than 25 bands performances each year.

For example when I go to West Des Moines IA to see valleyfest, I have an absolute blast. Fantastic bands from the midwest, including Valley, Waterloo West, Bellevue West NE, Irondale MN, Waseca MN, Cedar Rapids Jefferson-Kennedy-Washington, West Des Moines Dowling, Independence, Pella, Oskaloosa, and Eddyville Blakesburg are some of the bands I enjoy watching year after year. That is tons of bands that I love, just in one show, and these aren't even the best bands across the nation. I don't always love some of the gimmicks that they put on the field in BOA, but then this year corps like Cadets, Bluecoats, and Phantom put alot of gimmicks in their shows too.

i responded to your PM... but it doesnt appear in my sent messages, just checkin if you got it. --

i stand by however, I don't believe any Midwestern BOA band I've seen could hang in DCI, save for example, Irondale you have listed above. I know many of their staff and their program is consistently leap years above most of their competition - in iowa at least.

Ok, so after what I consider to be the most boring year of DCI since the mid90's, I am actually more excited about the upcoming band season that ever. I am seriously thinking about going to Indy for BOA championships.

It also got me thinking about which organization is better. I always thought that alot of BOA bands were a ripoff of DCI, but after listening to alot of BOA cd's lately, I realize that just as many corps have performed musical shows that were previously and recently played by BOA bands.

Another really nice thing about BOA is the number of participants. I was reading if you go to finals weekend, you can see over 90 bands in competition. Sure beats the # 20, which is the number of corps you saw at quarterfinals this year.

And the level of talent of these marching bands is starting to rival DCI. I would say after watching video performances, if you took the 90 bands in competition, and the 20 corps in competition, at least 4 bands would probably make finals. That is if you took away the brass caption, and changed it to winds. And to think the average age of alot of these bands is 16 1/2.

I know of a local band from Iowa that competed in one of the prelims for BOA. This band would probably be rivaling DCI corps for 15th place in quartfinals. They compete in BOA regionals, and average placing between 29th and 35th. And from what I understand, the band director thought the placements were accurate, as they watched alot of the other bands in competition.

In all honesty, I am thinking that maybe BOA gives you alot more for your money as far as the competitions go. And maybe after seeing all the political judging that goes on in DCI, I consider the whole thing a joke. I have gotten to the point where I just go to see the shows, and don't even worry about the scores. I usually know the scores in advance. I don't think BOA is quite as political, but I could be wrong. From the videos I have seen, it seems like the right bands have won, and placed where I would have thought they should.

Looking back at this season I enjoyed every corps, but there were only 6 shows that really excited me. I have the feeling out of 90 bands, the numbers of exciting shows will be at least double that.

So for those of you involved with both activities, which do you think is the better deal for your money?

Good God, don't let the door hit you in the ### on the way out. If you seriously think this year was boring than you really have no business going to a drum corps show.

I am bit shocked at the disdain towards the high school marching band on this forum. Could DCI exist at a high level without the growth of high school marching bands?

Could it? Yes. There are numerous people who march who have no interest in marching band, AND numerous people who march at an extremely high level in corps who come from pathetic band programs.

While I understand this is just DCP...I am kind of shocked at the number of people who seem to be so closed minded about the performing arts in general. Both DCI and BOA have great things to offer. There are programs in both organizations that offer great product and great education along with something for the fans...just as there programs that would be just the opposite. I'm not suggesting that we all should like both, because we all have our likes and dislikes. Some corps in DCI make me want to go to get a hot. The same thing happens in BOA. Just as there are some outstanding performances in DCI, there are great ones in BOA as well. The activity is not soooo different that we cant respect what each attempts to accomplish...and enjoy it along the way.

both do offer sonderful things, as does TOB, Cavalcade, PIMBA, USSBA and every band circuit not listed here.

but, for my bucks bang, NO marching band show has EVER gotten me as excited as a spectator the way a good drum corps show can. the all brass factor gives things such a wow that it's just no contest.

To answer the question in a short way, DCI. I like DCI better than BOA. But that's not to say that BOA is bad (here comes the long version)...

Here's why I've been sorta turned off from BOA. Every show I've seen always seems to employ some sort of stupid gimmick. I guess that's what turns me off of marching bands. Every time I've seen a band put their horns down and do some stupid dance (and I mean a really stupid dance...like, pelvic thrusts and whatnot), it's always as if the band is telling me "Hey, we can't march or play worth a ####, so we're just gonna dance. Woooo G.E.!"

So yeah, that's why I prefer DCI over BOA. Less stupid gimmicks.

sad to say tho, looking at a few top corps the last year, you can see that the influence on that goes both ways. I'm still trying to figure out how running and jumping over other horn players is a Samurai type move

It's because high school band is for high school kids...world class DCI is MOSTLY young adults/adults. Once you are out of high school, how cool do you think anything a high school kid does will be to you? Probably not very...it will appear awkward, immature and is not targeted towards the adult consumer. It is targeted to parents of band kids.

This is a great point. Ever go back and watch that video of the show choir performance you thought was SO off the hook at the time?? Wow did we suck.