DCI or BOA

• Replies 128
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

To answer the question in a short way, DCI. I like DCI better than BOA. But that's not to say that BOA is bad (here comes the long version)...

Here's why I've been sorta turned off from BOA. Every show I've seen always seems to employ some sort of stupid gimmick. I guess that's what turns me off of marching bands. Every time I've seen a band put their horns down and do some stupid dance (and I mean a really stupid dance...like, pelvic thrusts and whatnot), it's always as if the band is telling me "Hey, we can't march or play worth a ####, so we're just gonna dance. Woooo G.E.!"

So yeah, that's why I prefer DCI over BOA. Less stupid gimmicks.

OK...full disclosure...as my screen name says, I am involved with HS marching band. I have participated in DCI, WGI and BOA at varying levels.

I am bit shocked at the disdain towards the high school marching band on this forum. Could DCI exist at a high level without the growth of high school marching bands? I don't know the full history...that's an honest question. It seems a bit odd that the DCI community would mock the high school band as much as they seem to here. It'd be similar to the NFL having no respect or seeing no value in College Football. Every NFL team is better than the best college team. Am I missing something? Was there a rift between the band community and DCI community that I am unaware of?

It's because high school band is for high school kids...world class DCI is MOSTLY young adults/adults. Once you are out of high school, how cool do you think anything a high school kid does will be to you? Probably not very...it will appear awkward, immature and is not targeted towards the adult consumer. It is targeted to parents of band kids. How many non-parent adults do you think go to a BOA show as opposed to a DCI show? Probably pretty close to 0. Where is the history or tradition of a high school band program as compared to the Troopers or BD or the Cadets? How can I as an adult relate to random highschool from Texas? Like major league sports there are corps from different cities and states that people can adopt as their "home" team. There is nothing for me as a consumer to latch onto with BOA short of having a child IN BOA.

And this is to say nothing about the gigantic distance in quality. I'll never forget reading RAMD or some crap years ago someone was like "Listen to blah blah high shool's Medusa show, it is better than anything in DCI this year!" And some people were agreeing. I finally found it online, listened to it and it was a travesty. The only people that could possibly think that crap was even in the same galaxy as a DCI show were kids in highschool that didn't know any better.

So the question then becomes...if music education was removed from the public schools would DCI change? Some of the responses I've read lead me to think some folks think that nothing would change. But...I bet even harden anti "bando" could agree that there would be a negative impact on DCI as we know it today.

So the question then becomes...if music education was removed from the public schools would DCI change? Some of the responses I've read lead me to think some folks think that nothing would change. But...I bet even harden anti "bando" could agree that there would be a negative impact on DCI as we know it today.

If there wasn't a solid musical foundation that the kids had going in, then absolutely, things would change quality-wise . . .but, then again, taxpayer money funds school music programs for the most part . . . so I think we should be more concerned about drum corps not being there than thinking there won't at least be some sort of rudimentary music education in the school systems.

That said, though . . .if such a hypothetical as "no more music ed" was to come to pass . . . DCI, and more importantly drum corps in general, survived before the advent of programs like Avon, Marian Catholic and Rocky Mount Senior High, and could conceivably do so again, albeit on a more-than-likely reduced scale and scope (similar to DCA's model).

OK...full disclosure...as my screen name says, I am involved with HS marching band. I have participated in DCI, WGI and BOA at varying levels.

I am bit shocked at the disdain towards the high school marching band on this forum. Could DCI exist at a high level without the growth of high school marching bands? I don't know the full history...that's an honest question. It seems a bit odd that the DCI community would mock the high school band as much as they seem to here. It'd be similar to the NFL having no respect or seeing no value in College Football. Every NFL team is better than the best college team. Am I missing something? Was there a rift between the band community and DCI community that I am unaware of?

IMO, it's more of a quality of performance and entertainment value. I love watching DCI shows over an over, but I just can't do this with BOA. I just think DCI shows have more substance than a BOA show. It's not so much disdain for the bands, but more of what and how they choose to perform.

Edited by UTtrumpetdude

Ok, so after what I consider to be the most boring year of DCI since the mid90's, I am actually more excited about the upcoming band season that ever.

I stopped reading after this... WOW... really.?!? most boring year since mid 90s.. hm. :bigsmile::united::fight:

I know of a local band from Iowa that competed in one of the prelims for BOA. This band would probably be rivaling DCI corps for 15th place in quartfinals.

Ok i read a little further. I'm from Iowa, I teach a big'ish school in Iowa, and I'd love to know what band you're talking about. enlighten me.

Ok, so after what I consider to be the most boring year of DCI since the mid90's

I disagree, so very strongly. You are entitled to your opinion, of course, but still... really? That was really poorly expressed.

To stay on topic, DCI is better IMO, though it is true that the quality of DCI would suffer without the presence of high school music programs. I have marched in a BOA band that has made the San Antonio Super-regional four years now, one of those years happening after my first summer with the Bluecoats. Going back to a HS band program after that was the most frustrating thing I have ever done, simply because of the difference in quality between DCI and BOA.

There really is no doubt in my mind that Drum Corps do it better. Much better.