Did you "start" in Band or Corps?

Band or Corps first  

276 members have voted

1. 1. Did you first participate in Drum Corps or Marching Band?

• Marching Band
    • Drum and Bugle Corps

Sun Empire Jr. High Concert Band (trumpet) 1975-78

Kerman High School (marching band- tpt., concert- french horn, parade- sousaphone) 1978-82

Valley Fever (bari- decided to play a real horn :cool:) 1983-84

Fresno City Silly College (field- mello. Hey, they needed some middle brass! Concert- euph) 1984-85

CA Dons (bari) 1985

Fresno State Marching Band (bari) 1987

Azusa Pacific University (concert- euph. However, my focus at APU was vocal/choir) 1988-89

Fresno State Marching Band (bari) 1991-92

SF Renegades (bari) 2003-04

Edited by skajerk

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I started in high school band and Vanguard "B" corps simultaneously, taking up trumpet for the first time in my freshman year of high school.

I remained in my high school band like an additional 10 minutes after joining the Vanguard "B" corps, as my school's band program was pathetic and thanks to a very influential instructor in my life, Chris Nalls, I started on the road that would lead me to true brass player realization. (Yeah, Wayne Downey had a hand in it too [you think?] but it was Nalls who helped me find the path)

Truth be told, although it worked out well for me I urge you ALL, those of you still in school, NOT to do what I did by abandoning your local school programs. They need people like you to survive, and regardless of what you may think of your local program there is ALWAYS something to be learned by it, or something THEY could learn from YOU and YOUR experience in drum corps.

Oakmont-Overlook Marching Spartans Band 97-02 (2 yrs flute, 2 yrs mello--I had a crush on a boy in the section, 2 yrs drum major)

UMass Lowell Marching Band 03-06 (mello)

East Coast Jazz Drum and Bugle Corps 04-06 (mello)

I first watched corps at my first band camp in '97 when we watched the PBS broadcast. I always wanted to march, but never did until some UML people dragged me to the ECJ Open House after my first year of band there, and I never regretted it for an instant. Corps has opened so many doors for me, from the confidence and work ethic I need to live in the "real world" to the information to teach three bands and an open-class corps. Corps taught me who I could be, but band is the catalyst that brought me to the activity, and I will never forget that.

Truth be told, although it worked out well for me I urge you ALL, those of you still in school, NOT to do what I did by abandoning your local school programs. They need people like you to survive, and regardless of what you may think of your local program there is ALWAYS something to be learned by it, or something THEY could learn from YOU and YOUR experience in drum corps.

Hear, Hear!!! :cool:

Dr. Dale Riebesehl

Music Director

Hamilton High School

Milwaukee

Mountain Heritage High School Marching Band - Burnsville, NC

Mars Hill College Marching Band - Mars Hill, NC

Memphis Blues Brass Band Drum and Bugle Corps - Memphis, TN

Blue Knights Drum and Bugle Corps - Denver, CO

US Army 101st Airborne Division Band - Ft. Campbell, KY

Drove buses for some corps - Colts, Madison, Southwind

Carolina Gold Drum and Bugle Corps - at the time Raleigh, NC

That's pretty much the order it was for me......coming through high school in the rural south during the 1970's, high school marching band was generally what brought us to the point where, if we were lucky, we could discover drum corps.

Edited by notelvis

Caledonia High School Marching Band (Caledonia, Mississippi)

Itawamba Community College (Fulton, Mississippi)

Spirit of Atlanta Drum and Bugle Corps (Atlanta, Georgia)

University of Mississippi (Oxford, Mississippi)

Memphis Sound Drum and Bugle Corp- Instructor- Collierville, Tennessee

So Marching Band first here as well.

We were all so looking forward to winning our first three shows in Florida, then we ran into you guys in Clearwater. Dang.

Of course, you guys also provided us our first "Drum Corps Thrill" later in the season when we caught you the first time! Westchester, maybe??? Don't remember. Great looking guard! :cool:

Well, I first joined this very small organization called "Levittown Brass & Percussion" when I was 10 or 11 and they were an all brass and all drumline parade-corps group.

Now technically, this is a drum corps...but it's not necessarily "drum corps".

After this group, I joined my high school marching band, and through marching band I discovered DCI. Now I'm hoping to make a corps in 2010.

My roots are somewhat debatable, but I voted for Marching Band.

My bet is that over 90% of corps folks also marched in band which definitely makes those idiots that call other people bandos look even more idiotic.

Wow. You and I finally agree on something. :cool:

OMG PLANT CITY?!??!

ahh i LOVE plant city! (basketball tournament in tampa, band stayed in plant city. lol. dinosaur museum and strawberries!!!)

Heck yes, Plant City.

I started at church when I was 9

7'th grade at Dowdell in Tampa ( no marching yet just beginning band )

McClane Jr. High Brandon Fl marching band 90 and 91 ( carried drums from the mid 70's hahaha)

Bloomingdale H.S. Brandon/ Valrico Fl.

and the rest is in my sig.

I remember when there were only 4 or 5 people in all of Hillsborough doing drum corps in the 90's when there were about 1/4 of almost every band accross the bridge ( St. Pete, Clearwater, Largo) doing corps....

The first time I saw corps was 89 on PBS ( they should bring it back cause it brought a lot of us here ) and I thought it was college ya know Duke Blue Devils and Virginia ( forgot the school ) Cavaliers. HAHAHAHA

It came on a few times in the year ( 4 ) so all of my friends in J.r high got to see it too.

We were in 8'th grade outside trying to drum like robots caused that's how 89 Cavaliers looked ( hahaha)

A marine recruiter that used to be in CMCC warriors and the Marine D&BC told me about Suncoast and I was off to the phonebook to find their number that same day.

Edited by spirit7698