9/11 Tribute on DCP

I was pleased to see a number of houses in my neighborhood flying American flags that normally don't this morning.

From my blog....

I remember being at home waiting for a delivery and watching the first plane hit the first tower and knowing at that point we were under attack. I recall the sickening feeling in my stomach as the day progressed. I remember the following weeks and the waves of inexplicable emotional responses to the funerals and memorials. However what I remember the most is how we as a nation are so capable of setting aside our differences in a time of crisis and pulling together as one. We are so diverse and individual and yet we all have a common bond in our love for this great country of ours.

Today I was poignantly reminded of a story I witnessed which swept me with waves of emotions from tears to goosebumps. That was the post 9-11 World Series. Now all you Bush haters can tune out now if you want, but if he did anything right while in the White House this was one of them. Now this was probably one of the finest series of baseball I have ever witnessed. The Yankees showed more heart than any other team I had ever seen. Nobody really remembers who won that series what was memorable was how hard the Yankees fought back late in the game every night. It went all seven games. Now back to Bush. Here we are it is less than a month after 9-11 and the President takes the mound to throw out the first pitch. The crowd is chanting USA..USA...USA.. Rumor has it Derek Jeter told the President that if he did not throw a strike the Yankee fans would boo him. :-) The President takes the mound and the moment becomes more than just the traditional first pitch. It is the biggest FU we could send to the terrorists. It is us saying we will carry on, and you will not divert us from our path. Well I'll be ###### if that ######## doesn't just hurl a heavy handed split fingered fast ball right over the effing plate. He throws a strike and a pretty darn good one at that. The crowd just erupts in cheers.

That series was more than just a bunch of grown men throwing around balls and hitting them with sticks. For a moment in time baseball transcended from being a simple game, and became a national diversion from our pain. It was a reminder that life goes on, and that we will continue to thrive as a nation. I remember.....

I remember this: I had made reservations for my girl friend and I for that very night at The Windows Of The World. I lived in Staten Island at the time about to leave for work that morning. My telephone rang and my mother said look across the harbor. The first tower was already on fire. My mother said: "I don't like the looks of this, it can't possibly be an accident." She lives in Gramercy Park not too far from the site if you know New York at all. I told her to get out of the house and go directly to one my sister's get out of Manhattan altogether. She responded by saying that if somehow, we were under attack she would not leave her city without trying to help somehow - she was on her terrace watching and I was at my bay window watching and the second plane came in. We wept together on our telephones until the line went dead.

Later I found out that one of my corps-mates Fran, was one of the lost. Fran was in the St. Joseph Patron and later St. Rita's guard. The sweetest young woman who I was not surprised to find out touched everyone she met with her incredible generous spirit.

She lives on in every alum who marched with her and we remember her with all the others whose lives were needlessly spent in that act of blind hatred.

I respectfully submit and request you visit her page on our site and say in whichever way you wish to whomever you pray to that this thing never happens again.

here's the link:

http://www.stritasbrassmen.org/Fran%20Page.htm

Thanks for everything, Fran.

Puppet

• Like 1

I was actually on a field trip to the Cleveland Science Center in 7th Grade when it happened.

We went in and watched an Omnimax movie(which are REALLY sweet). As soon as it was done we were told to get our butts on the busses and go home. No one said why, it was pretty hush hush. It took us over an hour to get out of Cleveland because of how bad the traffic was.

We asked the teachers once we got home, but nobody gave us an explanation.

I went through my whole day of school without finding out what the heck was going on.

Got home, tried to watch TV, all that was on every channel was the attacks.

It didn't really phase me that much, but I know a lot of other people couldn't take it.

...As for the weeks that followed...every day on the PA Announcements the school would play "I'm Proud To Be an American" ALL THE WAY THROUGH. I've never been more ###### off for the wrong reasons because of a tragedy thanks to that terrible song.

DCP - Well done.