9/11 Tribute on DCP

I have very strong memories of 9/11 and the month preceding it. That was the year DCI East was in Philadelphia's Franklin Field and I flew to NYC on a whim to attend the show, took the NJ transit into Philly. I didn't spend a lot of time in NYC and on my flight out I told myself I would return shortly to enjoy everything NYC had to offer. I flew back on the 1st of September and spent 4 fabulous days sightseeing and what not. I went down to the WTC's on Tuesday the 4th early in the morning just to watch the hustle and bustle of the area as folks came in from the trains underneath the WTC to head about their days. I remember really wanting to go to the restaurant atop one of the towers (Top of the World?), but for some reason decided not to thinking, " I'll be back soon, they are not going anywhere" and I went down to the lower level to get a doughnut and read the NY Daily News.

On Wednesday I flew to Las Vegas for the start of the NFL season's opening weekend games and got back to Denver on Monday the 10th just in time to go to the first game ever at Invesco Field, a Monday night game between Denver and the New York Giants. That night was magical if you are a Bronco fan, the opening of a new stadium and all and it had me thinking of my mom who recently passed away and who was a huge Bronco fan herself. I remember telling my brothers, " I wish Mom could have lived a little longer to see this night". That was the night former NYG Ed McCaffery broke his leg during the game in a ugly looking way and really took a damper off the evening.

Fast forward to 2AM on the 11th, I was starting a new work shift 2AM-10AM. Though I worked alone, I needed access to a secure building and my super forgot about me, left him a message and went home to sleep. As I drove home I found some talk show talking about the possibility of a terrorist attack on US soil, I recall thinking, "Man these guys are really bored talking about something like this on overnight radio". I woke up around 10AM that morning and called my boss, told him what happened with me and he tells me not to worry about it, we are sending people home anyway. Now I had just woke up not knowing what had happened and I thought to myself, "Why are you sending people home because I couldn't get in the building this morning?". Woke up a couple of hours later to see the taped footage of what was going on and felt like I was still dreaming.

The thought that startles me is, I was there a week earlier having breakfast in the lower level. I recall seeing some of the footage later of the doughnut shop I was in and just sent a chill up my spine. The other thought was how I was wishing my mother was still alive to see a grand celebration in Denver the night before and now glad see didn't have to witness what we were all going thru and feeling. On a side note, my sister in law works as a district attorney in Brooklyn and after the first plane hit, they were watching the burning tower from their offices across the East river and saw the 2nd plane hit the other tower. She had two friends on one of the planes and I cannot imagine being in her shoes for what she had to go thru. And the talk show I picked up talking about a terrorist attack, maybe these guys talked about it every night, I don't know. But is was the first night I had been up at that strange hour listening to this along with aliens, government coverups and the like.

Just some very strange and sad memories that I recall. What a different world we live in now. Notice how many columns and pillars are now erected at the entrance of nearly every building? Hopefully to prevent some sort of tragedy from the ground anyway. God Bless all the victims of 9/11. You will never be forgotten.

I just now watched the tribute......it is the one thing on here that not only shows the horrors of the day, but also the coming together of the American people in spite of our differences. Congressmen and Senators that night sang "God Bless America" on the Capitol steps. They were united and we all took their lead.

The days that followed were difficult for all of us. We didn't know if something else was going to happen...or where.

I was a civilian working for the Army at the time. Seeing everyone's faces when the second plane hit was a show of shock, sadness. Some of us might have or did know people, especially in the Pentagon...but no names on the casualty list were familiar. Still though, those in the Pentagon were our comrades and seeing so many taken out that day was devastating.

HQ sent us home that day, around noon. We stayed closed for a day or maybe two, I can't remember. When we did come back, we were told we had to have someone there 24/7 until further notice. All doors had to be locked at all times, we had to be careful with phone calls and emails....security was essential, with no excuses. I was the security person then for the shop. About the only thing I didn't do according to the regs was close down the street in front of us. There were businesses there, I just felt that we couldn't let them to lose business by closing the street. I didn't get in trouble for it either.

There are still unknowns today.....have we forgotten....have we become complacent......how much should we remember...there are still debates about whether or not to show footage from that day. Even in class today, the instructor said it might be good to not remember it...that somehow that would help bring about peace. (The class is Christian Ethics--the instructor is a nun)...I told the whole class no....this has to be remembered, just as the Alamo was remembered and Pearl Harbor is remembered. Remembering takes away complacency. But.....enough of that....probably shouldn't get too political.

We lost a lot of people...innocent people...people in the WTC and the Pentagon who were just doing their jobs, people on the planes just traveling somewhere for whatever reason. The bad part is that it could very well happen again....but we all should be praying that it doesn't.

Thank you for that wonderful tribute and posting the link.

I've been an American Airlines Flight Attendant for 10 years and 9/11 was one of the darkest days of my life. But on that day and through the years I have been comforted by family, friends, and complete strangers and I have always been grateful for that. Knowing that there are so many good people in this world that care is what kept me going through the hard times.

I will post this link on my flight attendant website for all my coworkers to see. Thanks again and God bless.

Thank you all for your support and for the memories you've shared. We'll continue to bring this presentation back every year on this day.

While I've removed the image and link from the front page ... you can access it at any time by visiting http://www.drumcorpsplanet.com/911tribute/index.htm

May we never forget ....

Thank you DCP.

Thank you to all who have shared stories of that day.

Thank you to those who posted about alumni who lost their lives.

Thank you to all of the emergency workers, military personnel and civilians who walked directly into harm's way to aid those in need on that day.

No matter what our political differences and challenges, I know that when this day is here we are again united to honor all of the innocent lives lost. This is the true spirit and dignity of the human race. It is my great hope that the memories of those lost will again unite and inspire those of us who sometime lose sight of this spirit.

My daughter and I were listening to the Bob and Tom Show on our way to school that day when they announced that a plane had flown into the first tower. I turned on the TV in my classroom and was speechless. My student teacher and I watched in disbelief at the events unfolding on the screen. The atmosphere on campus was subdued. Like others, my heart sank when that first collapsed. When I went into a meeting before school, they said my face was white.

Then it hit me. My nephew was in NYC for training with his new job. I checked email to find out the location. An hour ow so later, my sister called to say he was there but safe. Ironically, smoking saved his life. His meeting took an early break, and he was outside of the second tower having a smoking break when the second plane hit. When he and the others saw papers with their company's letterhead falling from the sky, they left. I think God that he is safe but also remember those who were not as lucky.

May something like this never happen again.

• 11 months later...
Hard to believe it's been 7 years.

http://www.drumcorpsplanet.com/911tribute/index.htm

In remembrance of today marking 8 years.... We have NOT forgotten :ph34r:

Edited by TennTux

I was in my car stuck in traffic in Walnut Creek, Ca (30 miles from San Francisco). I turned on KGO810 and they just mentioned that the World Trade Center collapsed. I couldn't believe what I was hearing. I looked at drivers of the other cars and everybody was staring at their radios.

I get to work and discovered one of our co-workers was to fly out of Boston's Logan Airport that morning back to San Francisco.

He was not on one of the planes that hit the WTC, he was scheduled to be on the next flight, tried to get on the earlier flight but didn't make it to the airport on time. That was a strange eerie feeling knowing that he tried getting on the earlier flight.

It took him 5 days to get home back to San Francisco. He was at the point that he was going to take AmTrek across country or rent a car if flights didn't start resuming.

A few years later, I was on a business trip in Malta having dinner when a water asked "Are there any Americans here"? I said yes, why? A plane has just hit a building in New York City.

The whole restaurant went silent. The people I was with we all just looked at each other with blank stares thinking..."Oh no".

They turned all the TV's in the bar and restaurant area to the news and the whole restaurant congregated around the TV's trying to get more information. We eventually learned it was a pitcher for the New York Yankees.

It was a surreal moment though hearing "Are there any Americans here" and the restaurant employees trying to get us information and other customers passing along well wishes regarding America.

- Rob Brown

Edited by TrainWreck