9/11 Tribute on DCP

9 years now. Wow. The years go by, but the memory of that days horrible acts of cowardly terrorism, and then the acts of absolute bravery and heroism are still quite vivid in my mind.

It was my normal day off work that day from American Airlines, but I went in to help as best I could anyway. I didn't leave work until almost 14 hours later... 0200 the following morning. As the airplanes landed at O'Hare during the day on 9/11 and parked side by side, people came off the planes looking stunned and confused. The airplanes filled every gate and were then moved out to the hangars until it became almost a "parking lot" of airplanes. That night at ORD was absolutely quiet. No sounds - no airplanes taking off or landing. No employees or ramp equipment vehicles running or moving around. No one inside one of the busiest airports in the world.

My heart, mind and soul cannot give enough respect to the brave fire fighters, police, various city and rescue workers, the unknown "regular" people who tried to help, the flight crews who were doing their jobs, and of course all the rest of the absolutely innocent people who lost their lives that day. They were all just going to work, flying on a plane, walking around sightseeing or doing the normal things people do. Strange to think that just a few hours before it all began they were all just living their lives normally, not knowing they were in reality experiencing the last few hours and moments of their lives.

I was at the Pentagon. Will never forget that day.

With sincere apologies to some folks, I have had to prune some of the posts that were in violation of our community guidelines prohibiting discussions which are political in nature.

Let's please keep it a tribute.

With sincere apologies to some folks, I have had to prune some of the posts that were in violation of our community guidelines prohibiting discussions which are political in nature.

Let's please keep it a tribute.

In complete agreement I trimmed all off-topic from my posts. Thanks JohnZ.

Understood and respected. I personally should monitor my own personal passions sometimes before I reel off the rounds I do.

thanks guys - I greatly appreciate your understanding and help.

I was just starting a meeting with my command staff when the office manager came in and told us a plane hit the tower - we all moved to the communication center and watched the event unfold there. started getting communications through law enforcement and FBI on the Pentagon and flight 93, identified only as a missing plane somewhere in Cleveland/Pittsburgh air corridor. tried to get in touch with my counterparts in Pittsburgh to see what they knew, shortly heard that the plane went down east of them.

had to stop my staff from traveling to NY to help with the rescue - soon to be a recovery. we had to consider all the possilities and be ready 'just in case'.

the next few weeks were a blur of meetings, planning, prepping and memorials - really haven't totally stopped any of those all these years.

Edited by RetiredJedi

John Hart was one of those lost in the Towers that day.

John was a member of the Eau Claire (Wi) Sundowner Kadets (1974-1975) and the Eau Claire Sundowners (1976 and 1977). Soprano bugle player. He left a wife, children and family.

He was a great kid and a friend to all of us in that very tight-knit home-town drum corps.

Patrick Seidling

Eau Claire Sundowners

1973-1981

John Hart was one of those lost in the Towers that day.

John was a member of the Eau Claire (Wi) Sundowner Kadets (1974-1975) and the Eau Claire Sundowners (1976 and 1977). Soprano bugle player. He left a wife, children and family.

He was a great kid and a friend to all of us in that very tight-knit home-town drum corps.

Patrick Seidling

Eau Claire Sundowners

1973-1981

I was there...cant believed the actions that allowed me to live. It will always be a very very hard day to me given the number of friends I lost.

• 11 months later...

As we find ourselves back on this, our 10th anniversary...

I again ask that we say a prayer for ALL that have been touched by this...

In remembrance of today marking 10 years.... We have NOT forgotten. I hope everyone will join us and fly their flags today....

A heartfelt "Thanks" to Fran (Quest Graphics Design) for putting this memorial together, originally for the 1-year anniversary ... and the Madison Scouts Drum & Bugle Corps for allowing the use their music.

In remembrance of all those that lost their lives on 9/11 and for their families....

http://www.drumcorpsplanet.com/911tribute/index.htm

And now, on this our 10th anniversary, where have we gone, what have we done....

I join you in remembering those whose lives were taken.

The National September 11 Memorial and Museum (8:03)

http://tinyurl.com/3scth9b