Glassmen 09 update

if they pull it off tastefully.

No guarantees are there :worthy:

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I guess that means I can cross G-men off my list of possible corps to try out for, at least for this year...if I even do go out for a corps...

(say what you will, but I have to draw the line somewhere)

lame. check out some of the stuff Don Hill wrote for plymouth-canton (electronics and all), and tell me you wouldn't want to march those shows. he does it right, and it is generally awesome.

I haven't used this thing for a long time....this is my first post in a couple years. I wanna know what happened to having an open mind??? I am personally very excited to see how different corps will use "electronics" whatever they might be. You guys are entitled to your opinion, as am I. I'm very excited to see what will come out in 2009! Thanks :-)

lame. check out some of the stuff Don Hill wrote for plymouth-canton (electronics and all), and tell me you wouldn't want to march those shows. he does it right, and it is generally awesome.

Lame. :worthy:

DCI isn't BOA (yet) . . .most of the time electronics just cover up for lack of musicianship or endurance on the part of the high school program. Nothing I've ever heard from Plymouth-Canton has stood out to me in the past few years, really.

On that note I prefer viewing Rhythm X over Matrix because of the fact that they actually don't talk. (I don't follow WGI as much so I could be wrong, but I think I'm correct in saying this)

Rhythm X used sampled voices all throughout their show last year. Neither group spoke into a mic at all. Matrix used a sampled voice once at the very beginning of their show.

with the advent of electronicsthe door is wide open for the corps, and the activity as a whole”.

Here's hoping that quote doesn't give Hop any bright ideas.

On that note I prefer viewing Rhythm X over Matrix because of the fact that they actually don't talk. (I don't follow WGI as much so I could be wrong, but I think I'm correct in saying this)

Don't get me wrong, Matrix is great at what they do and I enjoy seeing their shows because it is what I expect from them.

G-men is a different story though. I pick a corps based on their history/tradition/whether it matches my tastes. Personally I draw the line at electronic instrumentation and narration in terms of where I would like to march(yeah, that means you too Bluecoats).

Maybe G-men do pull off electronics in a "tasteful" way that pleases most people. Chances are I might open up a little bit as an audience member.

But...when it comes to choosing something to be a part of, I'd rather be a part of an organization that doesn't use electronic instrumentation or narration.

besides, I probably won't even audition for a corps for lack of $$$ for the 2nd year in a row, so I probably have nothing to worry about... :shutup:

There are those of us who live near you (Medina) who would be more than happy to sponsor you if you march in their corps (Glassmen)... :thumbup:

Lame. :shutup:

DCI isn't BOA (yet) . . .most of the time electronics just cover up for lack of musicianship or endurance on the part of the high school program. Nothing I've ever heard from Plymouth-Canton has stood out to me in the past few years, really.

Yeah, some of the BOA stuff is pretty good but some of it I find boring (sorry just MO). Having said that, I feel the DCI BOD is probably just a few years away on voting for a name change from DCI to MBI. Right after the woodwinds will be allowed vote. Just sayin'

Lame. :shutup:

Which shows have you seen from Plymouth Canton? Don Hill was PCEP's music arranger from 1994-2005. I highly recommend watching any of Plymouth Canton's shows from 1998-2001, L.D. Bell 2005-2007, and The Woodlands 2006. All masterpieces.

Edited by mbui

Having the entire staff back is a very good thing. I was pleasantly surprised at how well the G-Men did in 2008 - both from a design and an execution standpoint. I wish them the best in 2009.

With that being said, I do worry about where this activity is heading. Using a quote from the G-Men's release as a reference:

“I am really excited to get rolling on 2009, and pick up where we left off last August,” states Don Hill, GLASSMEN Music arranger, “with the advent of electronics in the mix – the door is wide open for the corps, and the activity as a whole”.

Sounds great. They had a wonderful show in 2008, so I hope they continue onward and upward and use all of the tools available that they think will help them create the show they want to present to us, the fans, just as has been the case for many decades in drum corps going back long before DCI.