hazing/misconduct

I was in the Iowa band a couple years ago... and I know a handful of people in the UW band.

I'm not sure why so many people are referencing drum corps - this is nothing of the sort. In fact, UW might have (aside from the southern style bands..) one of the most non-drum corps'esque shows in the country: AND, they're RENOUNED for it. If you're talking about age correlation, fair enough. But contextually, they're not even close. You talk about rookie talent night, whatnot. Yeah, the busride "antics" (on assorted extremity levels) happen, but youre not representing a big10 university. They have a lot more riding on what happens.

I can make it simple for yall. In 2006 they were put on probation for their away trip. Their behavior respawned itself on the bowl trip. This new suspension is by virtue of that probation. This is not new stuff, it was a 3rd, 4th, whatever chance. Someone said it in an earlier post... can you really just IGNORE what was going on?? ..no. They had this coming I'm afraid.

That being said, I'm not being a hypocrite, we were no model students at iowa either. we got into the milk & cookies on our trips as well, in fact, some of the unnamed grad-staff got rowdy with us. Hotels no doubt dreaded 240 college kids in a centralized location (sorry about that bathroom sink, ann arbor... and the pillow case incident.).

I think this was a necessary means to send a message to chill the F out. Have fun... within reason. or at least dont break ####.

People are not comparing the styles of show. The concern is the behavior that does exist in both Drum corps and marching band. Both actvities have questionable behavior that puts their drum corps or universities name sake in danger. Anyone that has truly marched drum corps has seen, particpated, or heard stories that should never be around an activity that focuses so much on helping and educating the youth of America. I know some stories have grown beyond what actually happened but there are still stories that are absolutely true.

Some people believe the idea that a few bad apples ruin the bunch. I do not. It is unfortunate that entire organizations take the heat for the stupidity of a select few.

Yeah, but like someone has already said, maybe the "good" kids in the band will now be on the lookout for, and stop something in the future before it's gets out of hand. I know that if I were in that band and I had the chance of getting suspended for the actions of others, I'd be on the lookout for it. And you better believe I'd do something about it before it went too far. Otherwise, I probably wouldn't care what the other people were doing, as long as it didn't affect me.

Some people believe the idea that a few bad apples ruin the bunch. I do not. It is unfortunate that entire organizations take the heat for the stupidity of a select few.

In the eyes of public opinion, it only takes one small group of students to publicly embarrass an organization (Bluecoats drumline at retreat this past season, U of Wisconsin band right now, etc). Administration needs to make the decisions that best help their public perception. While I think it's unfortunate for the majority of members of U of Wisconsin who probably were not at fault, for the good of the organization it is probably the best thing to do. Perhaps this will be the last (in a fairly long line of) "ugly" incident for the band and they have (finally) learned their lesson. Kudos to their director for taking the high ground on this one.

People are not comparing the styles of show. The concern is the behavior that does exist in both Drum corps and marching band. Both actvities have questionable behavior that puts their drum corps or universities name sake in danger. Anyone that has truly marched drum corps has seen, particpated, or heard stories that should never be around an activity that focuses so much on helping and educating the youth of America. I know some stories have grown beyond what actually happened but there are still stories that are absolutely true.

Yes, it happens in universities and DCI both. that was not my argument. My point was the UW suspension should not be such a shocker. It was not a first offense, it was at least a 3rd, and they were on probation. How many warnings should they get before an actual punishment? DCI has similar antics/hazing/behavior going on, but unless its taken out of the corps "bubble" (i.e. retreat, encore, whatever) then it is dramatically scaled down and no one sees it except those involved, let alone in an activity that the average joe schmoe on the street has never heard of. Collegiate athletics is a slightly different story.

Edited by 08Hawkeye

The worst hazing I got was getting a snuggie.....ok, I got THREE of them (I think I still hold the record), but I brought them on myself because I was SUCH a rookie (well...2 of them...the one I got on my birthday AT CAMP was kinda expected)

The only "rookie talent night" we had was the $1.98 Beauty Show put on by the guard one night in Stillwater, MN....but I'd hardly call that haxing by any stretch.

Too bad you didn't march 84, Taters...the winner that year was the girlfriend of Charlie Ryan, a baritone who had marched Garfield in 83...her routine made fun of Garfield's Rocky Point Holiday, with her wearing a white sheet for a skirt and Charlie's Garfield member jacket so she looked like one of their 83 guard...and a small basketball she used like the paper Japanese lanterns Garfield used in their 83 show....it was a riot!!

Oh I got hazed..especially in 82 my rookie year...and I remember the 1.98 in Still water. In fact, I am thinking about some balloons I would like to pop.

A friend and I had this conversation last night:

Military ID: you can drink beer (regardless of age)

Combat veteran: (regardless of age) FREE BEER

Seems the least we can d.......and I will gladly chip in if someone thinks is a burden.

Not just this second, no... misinformed. Maybe a while ago, but not anymore...

I'm kinda like 08Hawkeye on this one. They had warnings and more warnings and they still crossed the line. They got smacked down. You can't say they were not warned.

Let's not over react. And yes there are questionable things that go on in drum corps every season. Take that many kids/young adults and put them together for the summer and **** is bound to happen. For the most part I think staffs do an outstanding job keeping things in control.

Edited by WWonka

I'm not sure why so many people are referencing drum corps - this is nothing of the sort.

People are referencing drum corps because there are "antics" that happen on the road that could be considered similar in nature to those described in this and other UW incidents.

... Yeah, the busride "antics" (on assorted extremity levels) happen, but youre not representing a big10 university. They have a lot more riding on what happens.

Why would they have more riding on what happens? I happen to think the opposite.

Take any major university...they have legal departments and lawyers that work for them. They could be hit with a big law suit and still come out okay. People would still join the band and life would go on.

Now, look at nearly any drum corps...most would simply have to fold if they ever got named in any kind of lawsuit where a monetary award was given to the plaintiff.

Therein lies the difference...the UW band is representing the school whereas a drum corps is representing only itself. The school would take it on the chin when their marching band gets bad press, but a drum corps has no one else to take it on the chin for them. There's not many corps that could handle even a little blow.

Aside from the band being suspended and if anything was ever done through the legal system where a monetary judgement against the school was issued, what else really could happen? Music majors would still get their degrees and classes would continue with the band getting a slap on the wrist. Hopefully those individuals responsible for the problems would get some jail time, though.

A drum corps would simply die.

Now...who's got more at stake?