hazing/misconduct

I am referring to legal adult status of the age of 18 not legal drinking age. Which means you are talking about legal adults who are informed enough about the decisions they make. Drum corps however, has many many minors that are not legal adults and are influenced very easy.

Remember part of the problem of Wisconsin's band goes beyond drinking. If that was the only problem then they probably never been suspended.

Actually, where I marched, there were FAR FAR FAR more people over 18 than under.... i'm pretty sure it's like that in most top 12 div one corps, actually.

Someone will need to clarify for me, because I honestly don't know the details of the story. I'm pretty sure it was more serious than them going out on their free time and drinking(which obviously happens). Something like showing up to a show/retreat/in uniform like drunken idiots or something? (and the rumors fly)

Again, this is something I heard on DCP...so take that for what it's worth.

Nobody needs to clarify anything for you!

My My My have times changed from our Madison meets Blue Devils behind the busses in the 80's..........

Then again it was always Scouts guard and Drums who were the kids to seak out. BD was a blast as was SCV to hang with..... As was VK and also Spirit too.........

I have no idea what you are talking about. The Blue Devils of the 1980's were practically alter alter boys... drum corps was what we did when we weren't serving church missions!

• Haha 1

That type of behaviour is counter-productive to the overall welfare of any orginization. I agree with a previous poster. Identify the slackers and non-hackers and weed them out. With 300+ members they are easily expendable.

I see your point, but at the same time, nothing will prevent future violations better than a healthy dose of peer pressure, and since everyone in the band received discipline for the actions of a few, maybe next time it won't happen because there will be literally dozens of good honest kids in the band that will be watching and hopefully standing up for the integrity of the band.

Edited by ssorrell

I have no idea what you are talking about. The Blue Devils of the 1980's were practically alter alter boys... drum corps was what we did when we weren't serving church missions!

The worst hazing I got was getting a snuggie.....ok, I got THREE of them (I think I still hold the record), but I brought them on myself because I was SUCH a rookie (well...2 of them...the one I got on my birthday AT CAMP was kinda expected)

The only "rookie talent night" we had was the $1.98 Beauty Show put on by the guard one night in Stillwater, MN....but I'd hardly call that haxing by any stretch.

Too bad you didn't march 84, Taters...the winner that year was the girlfriend of Charlie Ryan, a baritone who had marched Garfield in 83...her routine made fun of Garfield's Rocky Point Holiday, with her wearing a white sheet for a skirt and Charlie's Garfield member jacket so she looked like one of their 83 guard...and a small basketball she used like the paper Japanese lanterns Garfield used in their 83 show....it was a riot!!

I was in the Iowa band a couple years ago... and I know a handful of people in the UW band.

I'm not sure why so many people are referencing drum corps - this is nothing of the sort. In fact, UW might have (aside from the southern style bands..) one of the most non-drum corps'esque shows in the country: AND, they're RENOUNED for it. If you're talking about age correlation, fair enough. But contextually, they're not even close. You talk about rookie talent night, whatnot. Yeah, the busride "antics" (on assorted extremity levels) happen, but youre not representing a big10 university. They have a lot more riding on what happens.

I can make it simple for yall. In 2006 they were put on probation for their away trip. Their behavior respawned itself on the bowl trip. This new suspension is by virtue of that probation. This is not new stuff, it was a 3rd, 4th, whatever chance. Someone said it in an earlier post... can you really just IGNORE what was going on?? ..no. They had this coming I'm afraid.

That being said, I'm not being a hypocrite, we were no model students at iowa either. we got into the milk & cookies on our trips as well, in fact, some of the unnamed grad-staff got rowdy with us. Hotels no doubt dreaded 240 college kids in a centralized location (sorry about that bathroom sink, ann arbor... and the pillow case incident.).

I think this was a necessary means to send a message to chill the F out. Have fun... within reason. or at least dont break ####.

Edited by bawker
filter circumvention

It was finals, and it was funny as hell.

I'm sorry. What exactly did you think was funny about that? I can only assume you're refering to the Bluecoats.