Bi-Annual Rules Congress for DCA

with the economy taking a huge crap, and the price of fuel could DCA point corps in a general direction to find corporate sponsorships or offer fundraising ideas at workshops somewhere centralized in the U.S. to help defray the cost of trip out East every year for finals ? just my 700 billion dollars worth.

From the 40's - 50's - 60's and 70's. The Corps that could Aford to go to nationals. Nationals that were held all over the USA. From Los Angels to Miami. From Dallas to St. Paul. " WENT " . From Boston to Kansas City. Those that could not Stayed home! NY Sky won in LA, Calif.

R. Crusaders won in Portland, Ore. Cabs won in Miami. Buc's in New Orleans, La. MANY Corps stayed home because they could not afford to go.

Nationals held in N.J/NYC, Boston, Philly, packed the Stands with Fans. Sr Nationals held in other places not so. Just another reason VFW and AL both dropped Nationals. Unless they were held in North East they LOST MONEY. So keeping it in an area where the CHAMPIONSHIPS will make a Profit makes Good Scense.

• Replies 338
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

From the 40's - 50's - 60's and 70's. The Corps that could Aford to go to nationals. Nationals that were held all over the USA. From Los Angels to Miami. From Dallas to St. Paul. " WENT " . From Boston to Kansas City. Those that could not Stayed home! NY Sky won in LA, Calif.

R. Crusaders won in Portland, Ore. Cabs won in Miami. Buc's in New Orleans, La. MANY Corps stayed home because they could not afford to go.

Nationals held in N.J/NYC, Boston, Philly, packed the Stands with Fans. Sr Nationals held in other places not so. Just another reason VFW and AL both dropped Nationals. Unless they were held in North East they LOST MONEY. So keeping it in an area where the CHAMPIONSHIPS will make a Profit makes Good Scense.

Um.... I mentioned nothing about moving championships, a little help from DCA with fundraising ideas !

Minimum of 35 reset to 30, the same number as DCI.

Starting from a core of like, say, Austin Stars that I saw at DCA Douglasville, GA, last August, with 9 horns, 1 kit drummer, and about 5 guard, 30 can kick butt.

Whatever the minimum, I hope there would be no severe financial penalties for slipping under the minimum.

Minimum of 35 reset to 30, the same number as DCI.

I agree.... 30 is a better number, IMO.

Fran

I agree.... 30 is a better number, IMO.

Still leaves a mini/Class A gap, but at least it would bring that gap down to 9 instead of 14.

You COULD also raise mini to 29 and lower Class A to 30 to eliminate any gap.....or keep mini at 21, but allow up to 29 with an appropriatre penalty per person over the limit...say a couple of tenths per...I think that any mini that had THAT option would take the penalty hit if they were still alllowed to perform.

I wouldnt bet on it though...as of now mini corps is regarded as entertainment for the fans on Friday night. Even though the competition has become quite good as compared to its inception, the word I have gotten when trying to push for more was that DCA prefers it the way it is.

Donny

isn't that why MCA was created?

35 minimum revoked. If if if, but if a minicorps of 15 wins the title for that class. Then doubles in size the following year. Which is normally associated with growth / success. They'd have no way of including DCA weekend in their competitive plans under current rules. It adds more grief than it was probably intended to resolve. IMO if it didn't exist, Heatwave might still be around. And the Austin Stars would have been at DCA last year. Get rid of that gap. If a corps can make it, they should have the option to include DCA in their plans, without question, depending on if if if. If DCA doesn't trust the corps, then I guess evaluations can remain. At a minimum lower the minimum since not everyone counts. And allow for penalties, not exclusion for falling short. A corps shouldn't have to call it quits for the year if their bass drummer breaks a leg and they only have 34 members left (that count) on the field.

A class for oversized corps would be nice too. Not that we currently have any, but thoughts of a 300 member Kilties Alumni corps might be a nice addition to the DCA weekend.

Amps, I suppose I could live with that for pits and pits only. The costs of Marimbas run more than amping equipment. Factor in transportation / storage / maintanence costs. And it would be in the financial interest of the corps to have the option.

New corps mentorship, okay I guess. As long as it's at the corps option. And/or funding for it can be shared, and not totally on the prospective corps shoulders. I mean if you have the same three guys moving from city to city starting a corps in each one, just how many times do they need mentoring / re-mentoring? Not to be confused with counseling.

Banning all electronics. Well that might explain 2006. Although if they were using film and hand cranked cameras, it probably wouldn't be missing 40% of the prelims performances in the media department.

Add minicorps links and alumni corps links to the DCA website. Almost all corps have websites these days. Give them some recognition. (I know probably not a rule proposal, just common decency IMO)

35 minimum revoked. If if if, but if a minicorps of 15 wins the title for that class. Then doubles in size the following year. Which is normally associated with growth / success. They'd have no way of including DCA weekend in their competitive plans under current rules. It adds more grief than it was probably intended to resolve. IMO if it didn't exist, Heatwave might still be around. And the Austin Stars would have been at DCA last year. Get rid of that gap. If a corps can make it, they should have the option to include DCA in their plans, without question, depending on if if if. If DCA doesn't trust the corps, then I guess evaluations can remain. At a minimum lower the minimum since not everyone counts. And allow for penalties, not exclusion for falling short. A corps shouldn't have to call it quits for the year if their bass drummer breaks a leg and they only have 34 members left (that count) on the field.

A class for oversized corps would be nice too. Not that we currently have any, but thoughts of a 300 member Kilties Alumni corps might be a nice addition to the DCA weekend.

Amps, I suppose I could live with that for pits and pits only. The costs of Marimbas run more than amping equipment. Factor in transportation / storage / maintanence costs. And it would be in the financial interest of the corps to have the option.

New corps mentorship, okay I guess. As long as it's at the corps option. And/or funding for it can be shared, and not totally on the prospective corps shoulders. I mean if you have the same three guys moving from city to city starting a corps in each one, just how many times do they need mentoring / re-mentoring? Not to be confused with counseling.

Banning all electronics. Well that might explain 2006. Although if they were using film and hand cranked cameras, it probably wouldn't be missing 40% of the prelims performances in the media department.

Add minicorps links and alumni corps links to the DCA website. Almost all corps have websites these days. Give them some recognition. (I know probably not a rule proposal, just common decency IMO)

What took you so long??? :blink:

since, as you say, we currently don't have any oversized corps, why would this even be a consideration? a corps like that would be a specicial exhibition corps, not a competitive corps, i.e. 27th in 1994. i don't see any corps financially capable of being a competitive corps with that many members in today's economy.