That thump you just heard was my father rolling over in his grave

If the Cadets do go old school and drop the mics and junk I’ll need a new corps to hate on and if Madison (one of my traditional favorites) starts cranking out synths sounds they’ll take the Cadets place

Hello Madison, I remember liking you but now…

It might take a while to get use to but I’ll adjust

• Replies 264
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I would bet 537$ that if you gave Phantom Regiment the EXACT same show cadets did 06, (white rabbit, girl in red dress singing and everything) that half of these people would hail it as "Genius" and "Changing the Activity".

LOL, unfortunately, you're probably right. As much as I really like the Cadets, even recently, I just could not get into that show (I didn't hate it as much as I think everyone else did, however). And if Phantom Regiment, being my favorite corps, were to do that exact show, or a show very similar to it....I would not be very happy lol.

GH somewhere is smiling. Someone else is bearing the brunt of DCP wrath for a while.

9 out of 10 times I have seen synths in HS band shows it's to make up for a lack of low brass. Weak. It's used as an easy button to fix ensemble balance issues.

But the folks who whine all the time about how drum corps is not nearly as loud now days since the swtich to Bb, etc. REJOICE!

They are gonna crank that ##### to 11 !!!!!

Edit: Oh and think about how much money they can save not having to buy contras (tubas, whatever). When will the bass guitar rule be introduced?

Edited by WWonka

This is how I see it, and if it has already been said, I apologize but I just don't have time to read 11 pages of replies right now.

The activity is moving in a new direction.

If you don't follow the direction the activity is moving, you fall behind.

Falling behind turns into not being competitive

Not being competitive means less income and less interest

Low income and low interest turns into corps folding

So we can have the Scouts using a synth, or we can have the Scouts eventually fold. (Maybe a little extreme, but you get my point, yes?) Let's all get angry about it before we even know what they're planning.

"The Scouts are going to suck because they mentioned they're using a synth. And the Cadets are going to win because they've announced their show first."

Both of those statements make equal sense to me.

Seriously, why are people acting like they're automatically going to make the show focused solely on the synth player and the remaining 149 members are just going to play second fiddle to him? And that it will be used in a non tasteful matter? OMG SYNTH SOLO!!!1!!11!

What if it's actually maybe, a really good addition and everyone loves it?

A lot of people are talking about high schools using synthesizers. Most of the high school bands that I have seen use synthesizers are small, low quality bands that do not use them effectively, and you hear more synthesizer than band. On the other hand, I have seen some very good high school bands use them very well, and they added to the show in a positive way. I have faith that any corps that chooses to use synthesizers next year will use them effectively, and will use them wisely.

Yes, cause the Scouts have never "felt the wrath" of DCP. Ever...

True. But not the #### storm he usually produces.

And my post above, even though in this thread was not really scouts specific. Everyone who can afford it will be jumping on the electronica train, not just the scouts.

The scouts have always been one of my favorites.

Edited by WWonka

…Maybe the design teams won't phone electronics in by just looking at what they see in BOA and WGI this year . . .but, I guarantee you, it's going to be easy to tell when they do, and frustrating as hell to watch.

There's been twenty odd years that I've seen electronics out on the field. I've yet to see a show that has changed my opinion of them...

Remember the old Richard Pryor joke?

People say you can’t get hooked on cocaine. I’ve been snorting 15 years, and I ain’t hooked.

So in 20 years you haven’t found anything to like. Yet electronics lives on for a third decade. In fact, it’s found new adherents not only in drum corps but in places as traditional as Madison.

Those who don’t like electronics and synthesizers and amplification are entitled to their opinions. But three decades in, it doesn’t do to say it doesn’t work because it’s working for someone – including, apparently, the Madison Scouts. What a day.

HH

I have faith that any corps that chooses to use synthesizers next year will use them effectively, and will use them wisely.

Honestly, I don't - the introduction of voice has been a bit of a mess so far, and before we've even gotten that fixed (where's it being judged again?), we're just adding more. And in retrospect, there are far *more* shows with voice that haven't worked for the audience than have.

Mike