That thump you just heard was my father rolling over in his grave

All they have to do now is recruit a football team to play during intermission. :satisfied:

• Replies 264
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

When I was in my college wind ensemble, I sat next to a guy that, whenever there was problematic section in the music, would say under his breath . . . "Aw jeez . . . well, better get out the synthesizers ..."

I absolutely disagree that DCI must go with electronics. Synthesizers have been around a few decades now. Why now? Why now must it be included in drum corps?

Now, I will give electronics a chance, but I fear that it will go much farther as it was intended. Why? Because that is what always happens (see amplification). Therefore, keep it out all together.

Synthesizers can replicate most instruments very good and very convincing. Should we move to eliminate traditional instuments because of this?

For example, golf went from wood shafts to metal, aluminum, titanium shafts...BUT...it is still a golf club. Yes, the balls go much further now, but they have also made the courses much larger. Golfers are still required to pencil and sign their own cards. I am sure we have the technology to overcome this. The caddies still carry the clubs and don't use a golf cart.

Just because technology is available to us doesn't mean we must use it. Golf has a lot of these rules to keep the tradition of golf where it is. there are places to incorporate new technology and other places where it needs to be kept out or minimized.

Good post! And you get brownie points for talking about 2 of my favorite things (golf and drum corps)!

But let's compare apples to apples - in reality, the "FIRST YEAR USING" a new tool reaction has gone more like:

Scouts 2009: No history of using electronics in an overdone way (yet). Benefit of the doubt for the first season - for most folks.

Cadets 2005: No history of using amplified voice in an overdone way (yet). Hoppy is ruining the activity and should resign immediately - for most folks.

. . .you put yourself out there as the lightning rod for change with those constant proposals until it passes, and you reap the whirlwind. . .good and bad.

Your point would be much more valid if Dann Peterson had actually pushed for electronics since taking the corps over in 2007.

I can't wait to see the reaction on the day that DCA adopts amps, then synths. Don't worry, that day is coming; it's a question of "when", not "if".

And sooner than people think.... :satisfied:

. . .you put yourself out there as the lightning rod for change with those constant proposals until it passes, and you reap the whirlwind. . .good and bad.

We’re talking about Hopkins. Which part of that whirlwind was good?

Your point would be much more valid if Dann Peterson had actually pushed for electronics since taking the corps over in 2007.

Which is worse? The Cadets ever testing, ever challenging our drum corps conventions? Or the Scouts putting the 20th Century behind it and embracing the 21st with its new drum corps conventions?

HH

…And do you think all types of instrumental groups should be driven by todays music composition? As a non-music major IMO it sounds like egotism coming from the composers. IOW - "The way I compose has changed, so everything has to change to match". It would be like me telling everyone they have to change their computer O/S since I now work with Unix.

Of course not. But neither do I think today’s instrumental groups should be limited to the instruments of yesterday. Because Bach didn’t compose for an orchestra with saxophones, that doesn’t mean that today’s classical composers shouldn’t. Just because the original corps didn’t have pit percussion doesn’t mean today’s can’t.

Electronics are an option in today’s music. Saying drum corps can’t avail themselves of that opportunity is condemning the activity to a tighter niche than already binds it. Bagpipe bands, fife and drum corps, they’re wonderful things. We just don’t want to join them in the old-fashione category.

HH

We’re talking about Hopkins. Which part of that whirlwind was good?

Which is worse? The Cadets ever testing, ever challenging our drum corps conventions? Or the Scouts putting the 20th Century behind it and embracing the 21st with its new drum corps conventions?

HH

1. That depends on who you ask.

2. "Ever testing and ever challenging?" I would hardly call moving the goalposts more towards what you can see at your garden-variety fall marching band festival as that sort of thing, but to each his own. :satisfied:

For example, golf went from wood shafts to metal, aluminum, titanium shafts...BUT...it is still a golf club. Yes, the balls go much further now, but they have also made the courses much larger. Golfers are still required to pencil and sign their own cards. I am sure we have the technology to overcome this. The caddies still carry the clubs and don't use a golf cart.

Just because technology is available to us doesn't mean we must use it. Golf has a lot of these rules to keep the tradition of golf where it is. there are places to incorporate new technology and other places where it needs to be kept out or minimized.

Just because the technology is available, we don’t have to use it? Like metal woods? Titanium shafts? Golf didn’t have to permit those changes born of technology. But it did. Why? Because a new generation of golfers preferred the available technology to the traditional wooden woods or even wooden shafts. By embracing the new technology, golf chose specifically not to leave the sport mired in the implements of the past. And in the process it won over practitioners who otherwise might have chosen tennis or something else.

How is that different from drum corps? It’s not. Drum corps didn’t have electronics in the past because electronics weren’t an option until recently. Now, with better portability and increasing influence in the world of music generally, drum corps is doing nothing more than offering its participants another option.

No one forced any golfers to make the switch from wooden woods. Indeed, I played last summer with my own wooden woods. You see, I haven’t bought new clubs since the 70s.

I bet some folks around here can relate to that. Time moves on. My clubs from the 70s are no more relevant that your bugles from the 70s. It is the 21st Century with 21st Century instruments. That includes electronics. It shouldn’t be any other way.

HH

2. "Ever testing and ever challenging?" I would hardly call moving the goalposts more towards what you can see at your garden-variety fall marching band festival as that sort of thing, but to each his own. :satisfied:

Maybe you’re being too coy for me. Moving the goalposts closer to marching band isn’t challenging our drum corps conventions? And if it’s not, does that mean you think the Scouts have committed the greater sin by turning their backs on 20th Century drum corps?

Tell me straight. I can take it.

HH