That thump you just heard was my father rolling over in his grave

• Replies 264
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The problem is that once these things get introduced, even if they suck it's almost impossible to get them reversed. Case in point, Tim Kviz' attempt to overturn electronics and amplification last year. The instructors didn't even consider his proposals before summarily dismissing them.

The problem isn’t that these things are impossible to reverse. The problem isn’t that the instructors didn’t consider. The problem is you have a preference not supported by the prevailing opinion.

Might as well argue that we return to the color presentation or the goal line entry/exit. It’s not that your position is wrong. It’s just that it’s time has passed. You make that much clear when you cite the obvious lack of regard in the drum corps establishment for the position you support. Even holy Madison now is opposed to you.

HH

This is how I see it, and if it has already been said, I apologize but I just don't have time to read 11 pages of replies right now.

The activity is moving in a new direction.

If you don't follow the direction the activity is moving, you fall behind.

Falling behind turns into not being competitive

Not being competitive means less income and less interest

Low income and low interest turns into corps folding

So we can have the Scouts using a synth, or we can have the Scouts eventually fold. (Maybe a little extreme, but you get my point, yes?) Let's all get angry about it before we even know what they're planning.

"The Scouts are going to suck because they mentioned they're using a synth. And the Cadets are going to win because they've announced their show first."

Both of those statements make equal sense to me.

Seriously, why are people acting like they're automatically going to make the show focused solely on the synth player and the remaining 149 members are just going to play second fiddle to him? And that it will be used in a non tasteful matter? OMG SYNTH SOLO!!!1!!11!

What if it's actually maybe, a really good addition and everyone loves it?

Have you even read your bottom add ons? If BOA already exists, then why is drum corps merely copying it? Having two distinct groups with different rules for instrumentation is a GOOD thing. Variety. It won't matter if it is the most "tastefull" thing ever intro'd to corps, it is still BAND.

Have you even read your bottom add ons? If BOA already exists, then why is drum corps merely copying it? Having two distinct groups with different rules for instrumentation is a GOOD thing. Variety. It won't matter if it is the most "tastefull" thing ever intro'd to corps, it is still BAND.

BINGO! More stuff like this and drum corps continues to lose it's unique identity.

If BOA already exists, then why is drum corps merely copying it? Having two distinct groups with different rules for instrumentation is a GOOD thing.

Why is it a good thing? Jazz bands are distinct from classical orchestras. Yet each has borrowed from the other to augment their repertoires. If we followed your stricture, band and drum corps would never share. Nor would drum corps derive ideas for the guard from Winter guard.

There no logic in such strict separation. That’s being different only for the sake of being different. Electronics are part of the musical moment. Drum corps has rightly recognized the trend and responded as it should – by borrowing something necessary for its future.

HH

BINGO! More stuff like this and drum corps continues to lose it's unique identity.

Its unique identity as what? An anachronism?

In a world of multimedia art, you can’t divorce electronics from music in the future. Electronics are part of music’s future. If you want drum corps to be part of music’s future too, you can’t leave out electronic options.

Praise Madison for recognizing that. Better than what was going on a few year back when the corps verged on irrelevance.

HH

Edited by glory

Why is it a good thing? Jazz bands are distinct from classical orchestras. Yet each has borrowed from the other to augment their repertoires. If we followed your stricture, band and drum corps would never share. Nor would drum corps derive ideas for the guard from Winter guard.

There no logic in such strict separation. That’s being different only for the sake of being different. Electronics are part of the musical moment. Drum corps has rightly recognized the trend and responded as it should – by borrowing something necessary for its future.

HH

But the subjective part is when do two groups appear so much alike that they lose what makes them unique? Like I said it's subjective so some feel MB = DC already and some (like myself) feel it's heading that way (at least in the DCI arena). My question is would be "From a show perspective, what makes DC different from MB". If the only answer is corps are more intense or work harder than bands, then the two groups are no longer unique. At this point the biggest difference is lack of woodwinds which ain't much.

Back in the day DC fans and marchers were proud of the differences between DC and other music groups. Part of the pride was that we worked under the handicap of less instrumentation (horns/drums only) and missing that third valve. Now it appears a bit of fear has crept into the mix and DC has to have and do what other groups do "or else".

Edited by JimF-3rdBari