That thump you just heard was my father rolling over in his grave

I wish to clarify something for anyone who might have been one of the people who thought I've been criticizing Madison Scouts in this thread with something previously posted. Please note that this is my FIRST posting in this thread. I am not to be confused with the person who has me in their avatar. So, if you hear anyone griping about me regarding this topic, please enlighten them.

And please visit BooWorld, the new web video series that is referred to in the Boonac avatar that has contributed to the confusion by some.

As for my personal opinion on Madison Scouts using a synthesizer on the field...For heaven's sake, summer is still eight months away. Please give the corps a chance to demonstrate what they're going to do with a synthesizer first before jumping to conclusions. Sometimes I wonder if jumping to conclusions is the only exercise some people get in between drum corps seasons.

You may love what they do with a synthesizer, you may hate it; but the point remains...NO ONE has heard what they've got planned.

They are still going to be Madison Scouts and we will still love them for being so.

Countdown to June: 59,375,269,702,341,895...59,375,269,702,341,894...59,375,269,702,341,893...

Edited by Michael Boo

• Replies 264
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Countdown to June: 59,375,269,702,341,895...59,375,269,702,341,894...59,375,269,702,341,893...

Impossible. Didn't Crown 2004 teach you anything?

525,600 minutes = 31,536,000 seconds :satisfied:

I wish to clarify something for anyone who might have been one of the people who thought I've been criticizing Madison Scouts in this thread with something previously posted. Please note that this is my FIRST posting in this thread. I am not to be confused with the person who has me in their avatar. So, if you hear anyone griping about me regarding this topic, please enlighten them.

And please visit BooWorld, the new web video series that is referred to in the Boonac avatar that has contributed to the confusion by some.

As for my personal opinion on Madison Scouts using a synthesizer on the field...For heaven's sake, summer is still eight months away. Please give the corps a chance to demonstrate what they're going to do with a synthesizer first before jumping to conclusions. Sometimes I wonder if jumping to conclusions is the only exercise some people get in between drum corps seasons.

You may love what they do with a synthesizer, you may hate it; but the point remains...NO ONE has heard what they've got planned.

They are still going to be Madison Scouts and we will still love them for being so.

I think the key point you're missing here is that many people, myself included, who are opposed to the corps' use of a synthesizer are opposed to the fact that they're using the instrument, not the possible sounds from it that they will feature in their show. So there's really no jumping to conclusions involved; they've already announced that they'll be using a synthesizer, and seeing the show or seeing what they do with it won't magically change the fact that they that they are using this instrument.

Impossible. Didn't Crown 2004 teach you anything?

525,600 minutes = 31,536,000 seconds :satisfied:

My brain is spinning too fast to simply count minutes.

I think the key point you're missing here is that many people, myself included, who are opposed to the corps' use of a synthesizer are opposed to the fact that they're using the instrument, not the possible sounds from it that they will feature in their show. So there's really no jumping to conclusions involved; they've already announced that they'll be using a synthesizer, and seeing the show or seeing what they do with it won't magically change the fact that they that they are using this instrument.

I think the key point you're missing here is that many people, myself included, love the Madison Scouts and will love them no matter whether they use a synthesizer or not. So there's really no jumping to conclusions involved; they've announced that they'll be using a synthesizer, and hearing the show and hearing what they do with it won't magically change the fact that their fans love them.

I'd better add a smilie. :satisfied:

PS: And, oh, please visit BooWorld and tell all your friends to do the same.

PPS: Also, HasBeen is a friend of over three decades whom I know loves the Madison Scouts organization, as do so many. I hope we don't collectively lose our sense of humor before the next season starts.

Edited by Michael Boo

The most amusing part about this thread is the use of the singular: synthesizer.

(as opposed to the plural: synthesizers).

oh. my. god.

how taboo of me to mention such blasphem(ies).

:)

The most amusing part about this thread is the use of the singular: synthesizer.

(as opposed to the plural: synthesizers).

oh. my. god.

how taboo of me to mention such blasphem(ies).

:)

I'm hoping to see at least 2 in Crossmen's pit this year. I'll give you a few years to work up to 4-5.

As for the Madison Scouts, hell, I'm all for it. It's been years since I've heard an entertaining musical program from them (even '05 was kinda boring imo), so perhaps the synth will give them some fresh ideas and a fresh sound. Honestly I hope that all corps start using synths with a quickness. Voice, ok, I never liked that. Pre-recorded material, totally lame. But synths still produce MUSIC, and personally I think they add a lot (if used correctly) to any musical production.

Yes, there can be bad uses of synths. There an be bad uses of hornlines, too. You can't hate on something just because some podunk band sounded like crap with them in the past (not saying all bands do). I'm very excited to see how the top DCI corps implement synths into their music books.