That thump you just heard was my father rolling over in his grave

Haven't we had this discussion already with Bb horns, pit amplification, and voice amplification?

Just wait for when the woodwind proposal comes up.... :satisfied::thumbup::angry:

Edited by JimF-3rdBari

• Replies 264
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just wait for when the woodwind proposal comes up.... :satisfied::thumbup::angry:

Or my proposal to allow for the levitation of pit equipment. I'm starting with a maximum field clearance of six inches so that corps that don't levitate all that well won't be at a competitive disadvantage. Once it catches on, I'll introduce a new proposal to allow for unlimited spatial hovering for pit and all marching members. The constraints of stadium configuration will keep designers in check. One can't hover 50 feet above the field and expect the Effect judges to not find their visual focus split.

Such levitation, even of a few inches, will allow for pit equipment to be effortlessly repositioned during a show for all sorts of drill purposes. Hovering of members (beyond traditional concepts of levitation) could result in a new marching style that is fluid beyond what we could reasonably expect today.

I expect some people will have trouble wrapping their heads around my proposals, and I'm ready to take the arrows that will be shot my way. But, as I've long said, "When levitation is outlawed, only outlaws will levitate."

Or my proposal to allow for the levitation of pit equipment. I'm starting with a maximum field clearance of six inches so that corps that don't levitate all that well won't be at a competitive disadvantage. Once it catches on, I'll introduce a new proposal to allow for unlimited spatial hovering for pit and all marching members. The constraints of stadium configuration will keep designers in check. One can't hover 50 feet above the field and expect the Effect judges to not find their visual focus split.

Such levitation, even of a few inches, will allow for pit equipment to be effortlessly repositioned during a show for all sorts of drill purposes. Hovering of members (beyond traditional concepts of levitation) could result in a new marching style that is fluid beyond what we could reasonably expect today.

I'll go for the 3-D drum corps shows under one condition. The pit has to be at a lower level than the corps members behind them so they won't block the view of the corps. (One of the problems I have with big pits today. Keep seeing a bunch of people standing up in front of the corps and first response is to wish they would sit down. Then I realize they're part of the show. :satisfied: )

Mike Boos' Pit Levitation and Rocket Pack proposal.....

Edit: Can you imagine the BS that would go into explaining the show design. "....the horn line being at a higher level than the drums represents the oppression of..... and the guard going in between means the hope of a ....". Could take flame wars on here to a new level (pun intended) for the people who can't "see" what the design means.

Edited by JimF-3rdBari

again, I hoped the winking smiley would let you know I was joking!

They'll have a woman Prime Minister next....

Sorry, it was late and the Red Sox had started their rally. I was distracted.

Such levitation, even of a few inches, will allow for pit equipment to be effortlessly repositioned during a show for all sorts of drill purposes.

Is this some sort of subconcious desire to relive your youth projected on modern drum corps? I can see marching tympani and marching mallets if your rules changes are approved. :satisfied:

I'm hoping to see at least 2 in Crossmen's pit this year. I'll give you a few years to work up to 4-5.

As for the Madison Scouts, hell, I'm all for it. It's been years since I've heard an entertaining musical program from them (even '05 was kinda boring imo), so perhaps the synth will give them some fresh ideas and a fresh sound. Honestly I hope that all corps start using synths with a quickness. Voice, ok, I never liked that. Pre-recorded material, totally lame. But synths still produce MUSIC, and personally I think they add a lot (if used correctly) to any musical production.

Yes, there can be bad uses of synths. There an be bad uses of hornlines, too. You can't hate on something just because some podunk band sounded like crap with them in the past (not saying all bands do). I'm very excited to see how the top DCI corps implement synths into their music books.

Not ME :satisfied:

"The Scouts are going to suck because they mentioned they're using a synth. And the Cadets are going to win because they've announced their show first."

Both of those statements make equal sense to me.

Well, actually, your second statement is 100% accurate. :satisfied:

:thumbup:

I'm hoping to see at least 2 in Crossmen's pit this year. I'll give you a few years to work up to 4-5.

As for the Madison Scouts, hell, I'm all for it. It's been years since I've heard an entertaining musical program from them (even '05 was kinda boring imo), so perhaps the synth will give them some fresh ideas and a fresh sound. Honestly I hope that all corps start using synths with a quickness. Voice, ok, I never liked that. Pre-recorded material, totally lame. But synths still produce MUSIC, and personally I think they add a lot (if used correctly) to any musical production.

Yes, there can be bad uses of synths. There an be bad uses of hornlines, too. You can't hate on something just because some podunk band sounded like crap with them in the past (not saying all bands do). I'm very excited to see how the top DCI corps implement synths into their music books.

ehhhh, that's a good point actually. im kinda looking forward to see how some of the top designers in the activity use this new sound medium

Honestly, I don't - the introduction of voice has been a bit of a mess so far, and before we've even gotten that fixed (where's it being judged again?), we're just adding more. And in retrospect, there are far *more* shows with voice that haven't worked for the audience than have.

Mike

The introduction of voice has been a mess? How so? As with anything, there have been great and not-so-great uses, and everywhere in between.