That thump you just heard was my father rolling over in his grave

I was thinking of using a hologram of, say the 1974 Santa Clara Vanguard along with a small Open class corps. You know, like American Idol almost made me think Elvis wasn't really dead and came to sing a duet with Celine Dion. Speaking of Dion, whatever happenened to him and The Belmonts?

Or my proposal to allow for the levitation of pit equipment. I'm starting with a maximum field clearance of six inches so that corps that don't levitate all that well won't be at a competitive disadvantage. Once it catches on, I'll introduce a new proposal to allow for unlimited spatial hovering for pit and all marching members. The constraints of stadium configuration will keep designers in check. One can't hover 50 feet above the field and expect the Effect judges to not find their visual focus split.

Such levitation, even of a few inches, will allow for pit equipment to be effortlessly repositioned during a show for all sorts of drill purposes. Hovering of members (beyond traditional concepts of levitation) could result in a new marching style that is fluid beyond what we could reasonably expect today.

I expect some people will have trouble wrapping their heads around my proposals, and I'm ready to take the arrows that will be shot my way. But, as I've long said, "When levitation is outlawed, only outlaws will levitate."

• Replies 264
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Have you even read your bottom add ons? If BOA already exists, then why is drum corps merely copying it? Having two distinct groups with different rules for instrumentation is a GOOD thing. Variety. It won't matter if it is the most "tastefull" thing ever intro'd to corps, it is still BAND.

Drum corps has been "merely" copying band istruments for decades, ever since they added a valve to a straight bugle through to multi-kley horns of today...added timpani, mallets, and assorted other percussion instruments. And...if DCI's marketing is aimed at the scholastic music area for new fans and members, why is it automatically a good thing to have an activity that in general excludes 1/2 of the musicians they are targeting, the WW players?

Drum corps is and always has been 'band', fyi.

But the subjective part is when do two groups appear so much alike that they lose what makes them unique? Like I said it's subjective so some feel MB = DC already and some (like myself) feel it's heading that way (at least in the DCI arena). My question is would be "From a show perspective, what makes DC different from MB". If the only answer is corps are more intense or work harder than bands, then the two groups are no longer unique. At this point the biggest difference is lack of woodwinds which ain't much.

I'd say a lack of WW is a big deal.

Personally, what is the need to keep drum corps "unique" anyway? Unique from what? IMO it's marching band, esp HS competitive MB, that has modelled itself after drum corps in show design, far more than corps changing into marching band.

Back in the day DC fans and marchers were proud of the differences between DC and other music groups. Part of the pride was that we worked under the handicap of less instrumentation (horns/drums only) and missing that third valve. Now it appears a bit of fear has crept into the mix and DC has to have and do what other groups do "or else".

Just because that's the way it "was" doesn't mean that 1) it was a good way to think then, and 2) it should stay that way forever. It's hardly "fear", IMO, it's just a changing environment. In the day drum corps was a fairly self-contaied pyramid-shaped activity...the 'big corps' pulled from the myriad small corps and their own feeders, even if there were kids from band, as I was. Today, corps are marketing themselves directly to the band world.

I'm hoping to see at least 2 in Crossmen's pit this year. I'll give you a few years to work up to 4-5.

Although I do find the singular (synthesizer) of this thread amusing, this taboo isn't really about the number that is used.

It is about the implementation, and, more importantly, the fact that "electronics" (such a generic term that I use here only because it's the word with which most can, or think they can, identify) are not an afterthought in the design process.

If "electronics" are used at all, then their use should be considered at the root level of design and orchestration, and because of such, can then be integrated into the product in a much more streamlined, sophisticated, and coordinated manner.

Unfortunately, this is generally not the process taken, causing the use of "electronics" to be careless and poorly represented.

Personally, what is the need to keep drum corps "unique" anyway? Unique from what? IMO it's marching band, esp HS competitive MB, that has modelled itself after drum corps in show design, far more than corps changing into marching band.

Argee that MBs changed show design to corps style but now DCs are "returning the favor" :satisfied: by changing instrumentation to match what bands have. To me the instrument change is what I think of when I say DCI is becoming band like. As for being unique, I'd like someone to explain to me in a satisfactory matter why becoming a clone of another group is a good thing.

Just because that's the way it "was" doesn't mean that 1) it was a good way to think then, and 2) it should stay that way forever. It's hardly "fear", IMO, it's just a changing environment. In the day drum corps was a fairly self-contaied pyramid-shaped activity...the 'big corps' pulled from the myriad small corps and their own feeders, even if there were kids from band, as I was. Today, corps are marketing themselves directly to the band world.

First part of my "back in the day" was for historical info. Was responding to glory and think he has said in the past that he doesn't know much of DCs history. Was hoping the info would explain my feelings/opinion. As for the "fear" part I still say there is fear involved. The fear is if DCI doesn't model itself after MBs then the band kids won't be interested. And to think that DCI has only been pulling a lot of band kids in the last few years is a false assumption. There haven't been that many smaller corps and (especially) feeder groups for many years. I'd guess that went away with the majority of the little local corps but you'd know better than me.

Edit: Just saw the "gotta change" response. Difference is reason for the requested change. Changes I listed were submitted for corps to become more "musical". That's part of the reasons for the last few years worth of changes but keep seeing recruitment listed as another reason. No idea how the offical proposals were written but that's what I've seen on DCP. And if it's on the internet it's gotta be true right? :thumbup:

Edited by JimF-3rdBari

Biggest two purposes I saw when I joined was having the corps survive and entertain the people.

None of which are due to just having bugles, drums and guard. That's how they WERE at the time, but it's not written in stone that they HAVE to remain that way forever.

Scouts looking for a synth. I am extremely disappointed, and hope they rethink this decision.

I've been looking at a lot of corps audition sites, and it seems all of them(the ones I looked at anyways) are including a synth spot. I guess I don't have a choice in the matter, I'll have to give it a chance. If Madison screws this up then consider me done with auditioning for a drum corps until it changes. Put g-men and CapReg back on my list of audition spots as well.

Drum corps has been "merely" copying band istruments for decades, ever since they added a valve to a straight bugle through to multi-kley horns of today...added timpani, mallets, and assorted other percussion instruments. And...if DCI's marketing is aimed at the scholastic music area for new fans and members, why is it automatically a good thing to have an activity that in general excludes 1/2 of the musicians they are targeting, the WW players?

Drum corps is and always has been 'band', fyi.

There's this thing called "learning a new instrument" that helps woodwind players like myself branch out and learn new things we otherwise wouldn't be so inclined to do so. Drum corps is an incredible outlet for many Woodwind players to experience brass/percussion playing & colorguard they otherwise wouldn't be motivated to learn. Personally, I don't want to take that opportunity away. Despite your ingenious view of how today's youth think, the most of us do NOT feel excluded. Put woodwinds in drum corps and you'll see extreme hatred from a HUGE amount of people INCLUDING ww players.

My experiences talking to my peers and talking to people on MBP over the years tells me that there is no way in hell that most(if not all) woodwind players interested in marching drum corps would want to march a woodwind instrument in a drum corps. Might as well cut off your balls and eat them yourself.

And if you told me that "most brass players would like to march a woodwind instrument, so it works both ways" you'd be lying.

Also:

Since drum corps have been copying band instruments for decades you would obviously see Sousaphones, Trombones, and French Horns on the field at this point, right? I mean, they are brass instruments and it would only make sense to include them in an all brass/percussion/colorguard ensemble right?

"Biggest two purposes I saw when I joined was having the corps survive and entertain the people."

None of which are due to just having bugles, drums and guard. That's how they WERE at the time, but it's not written in stone that they HAVE to remain that way forever.

Should have rewritten that part after I logged back on last night as I didn't finish the thought. :satisfied: Problem started because I was thinking of DCIs mission back in the day when talking about DCI and it's current mission. :thumbup: (Two really different ani-mules)

Rest of thought was ".... now DCIs priorities (purpose) are geared more for education of the members instead of fan entertainment..." or sumthin'... kinda... maybe... I forget....

Edited by JimF-3rdBari