Is it worth it?

You will regret not marching. Then again, you might not be ready. It's ultimately up to you. Drum corps is both a sacrifice and a commitment. There will be MANY moments of seemingly aimless pain and long hours that make you want to go home. You will hate drum corps for a short period of time. But donning the uniform and performing? Those ten minutes will make DAYS of pain, hurt, and hardship worth it. I promise.

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

To the OP:

No. It's not for you. At least not this summer.

Given your list of complaints, it may not be for you ever.

Understand. Drumcorps is hard. It is a lifestyle of discomfort and hardship. You will hurt. A lot. The pain is constant and unending. And just when you think things can't get any harder, they do. You will be pushed well beyond the realm of what you ever thought was possible. You will be asked to do things normal humans would walk away from. Heat, fatigue, cramps, heavy instruments, broken-down busses, hard gym floors, sleeping sitting up for 3 months, being yelled at by staff, crotch-rot, cold showers, sunburns, tan lines, blisters, chronic diareaha from tour food, not having a moments peace, lines just to take a dump, nuclear mosquitoes, I could go on.

Do I think it's for you right now?

No.

Is it worth it?

You bet your ### it is.

As drum corps auditions are coming up in a few weeks I've been thinking a lot about whether or not, for me, it would be worth it to march this year.

There are a few reasons I don't want to march, among quite a few others.

Firstly, I really don't want to give up my entire summer.

Second, I hate running. And pushups, and hot weather in general, and marching fundamentals, etc.

It's a ton of money.

I'm young, so I have quite a few years left, and I'm not sure I'm ready for that commitment and intensity.

Then again, I've never met anyone who has regretted marching drum corps. So if I just put these issues aside and do it, do you think in the end it will be worth it? Or realistically is it wiser to wait a year or so?

you never know where life may take you, so if you want to do it and have the chance, take it

As drum corps auditions are coming up in a few weeks I've been thinking a lot about whether or not, for me, it would be worth it to march this year.

There are a few reasons I don't want to march, among quite a few others.

Firstly, I really don't want to give up my entire summer.

Second, I hate running. And pushups, and hot weather in general, and marching fundamentals, etc.

It's a ton of money.

I'm young, so I have quite a few years left, and I’m not sure I'm ready for that commitment and intensity.

Then again, I've never met anyone who has regretted marching drum corps. So if I just put these issues aside and do it, do you think in the end it will be worth it? Or realistically is it wiser to wait a year or so?

It would be helpful if you include a little more information about yourself. I don't mean anything personal - just general things like age, general geographic location, experience, instument/guard etc. That would help people to formulate a better opinion which in turn could lead to more constructive advice. :worthy:

I think it's definitely worth it for you, OP. Why? Because by facing down these things you say you don't like, you'll learn a HUGE life lesson: life is not easy, but with self-discipline and motivation (and sometimes not a small amount of frustration and discomfort) you can overcome adversity and accomplish more than you ever thought possible.

Lastly, you posted here on DCP of all places, so I think you really do know it's worth it, deep down. :worthy:

So, let me get this straight. You're asking if it's "worth it" by posting in a forum created by and specifically for people who are fans, former marching members, current marching members, or all three. Anybody who didn't think it was worth it wouldn't think it was worth it to even go to this website.

Agree up to a point but where else are you going to find people knowledgable on the subject?

And by seeing a number of DCA/Open Class answers the OP is being given an option on full tour or stay home. Not sure if he/she was aware of the choices.

Heh, for me doing competative DC when I was in HS/college (6 friggin' years) was worth it. BUT given the choice of being a "Weekend Warrior" (All Age corps) or trying a full tour corps... well being a member of a local DCA corps fit my life better and never regretted.

PS to CaviesFan1- what's your location????

Edited by JimF-3rdBari

march an Open Class Corps. Keep your summer, find out what its about.

theres a new corps starting in nashville that looking pretty cheap about 1K.

Understand. Drumcorps is hard. It is a lifestyle of discomfort and hardship. You will hurt. A lot. The pain is constant and unending. And just when you think things can't get any harder, they do. You will be pushed well beyond the realm of what you ever thought was possible. You will be asked to do things normal humans would walk away from. Heat, fatigue, cramps, heavy instruments, broken-down busses, hard gym floors, sleeping sitting up for 3 months, being yelled at by staff, crotch-rot, cold showers, sunburns, tan lines, blisters, chronic diareaha from tour food, not having a moments peace, lines just to take a dump, nuclear mosquitoes, I could go on.

Man...............I want to run right out to a basics block right now!!! Your words are taking me back to a better time....

BTW, to the Original Poster: The element you're either missing or haven't thought of yet, is that EVERY SINGLE PERSON you are marching beside is going through the same thing that you are.

YOU'RE ALL IN THIS TOGETHER.

And you just CAN'T find camraderie like that ANYWHERE ELSE. You will bond with these people in a manner indistinguishable from family.

Worth it? Immeasurably. Start running and doing pushups now so they won't seem so bad when you go try out LOL

Is it worth it?

You bet your ### it is.

Going on my facebook.