Marching Band controversy

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

In 06' the Cavaliers offended robots the world over. I would shed tears every time I heard one of their little metal hearts breaking. :big hug:

----------

Marching Band Routine Offends Mental Health Organization

SAN ANTONIO -- A recent performance by the Churchill High School marching band is being called offensive by some who say the performance was insensitive to those with mental illness.

The band's performance at the University Interscholastic League's state band competition -- entitled "Symphonic Schizophrenia" -- included props resembling padded walls and had some band members dressed in strait jackets running around the field in an erratic manner.

The head of the local chapter of the National Alliance on Mental Illness said he was contacted by several people who were upset by Churchill's performance...

----continue the rest at http://www.ksat.com/news/17985375/detail.html -------

Obviously another show made by someone who obviously has a thing for Star of Indiana(and their 93 show).

Anyways, while the party being involved wasn't technically a drum corps, I figured it is worth discussing.

My opinion:

The show itself looks rather terrible from a design standpoint(drill-wise...spelling out words is never a good choice IMO).

Though, the guy representing the mentally ill "being offended" is a ##### who can't appreciate an art form, and is taking their show WAAAAAAAAY out of context.

I wonder what that guy would have thought if he saw Blue Knights(WGI) 2005 show, or if he would have been offended by Phantom Regiment's violence used in their recent 08 show.

Thoughts?

I wasn't offended by the violence in PR's show, but I was uncomfortable with BK 2005 and Project 2003 in WGI. The mentally ill get a bad enough rap with way too many incorrect stereotypes like violence, incoherence, padded walls, straightjackets, etc. And, incidentally, I'm not the only one who holds this opinion at all; I've discussed it with other people who were uncomfortable with those WGI shows. I think a lot of people don't realize that it hits close to home for more people and/or their families than they think; it's just that nobody really talks about it due to stigmata.

I understand the art form argument, but that would seem to imply that "anything goes" in shows and nothing can be offensive because it's just a work of art. I disagree though; I think there's a fine line (especially in youth activities).

Just my respectful opinion.

Edited by Supersonic

Yea, kinda agreeing with Supersonic here...

I called the show sloppily designed because I think it represents what a lot of shows do: Take a broad stereotype about something and build your show around the most recognizable aspects of that stereotype, pounding you over the head with the theme relentlessly the entire show.

Anyhow, people with mental illnesses are a suffering minority group. What if the show had been based around broad, blatant, and outdated stereotypes of another suffering minority group? A lot of people seem to be saying that this is "just another example of political correctness gone wild," "people being offended by the stupidest things," et cetera. I don't think it's that stupid or trival of a thing. Mental illness is an incredibly nuanced, sensitive, complex subject; the marching arts, by their very nature, are at best only able express concepts with broad strokes. I don't think this kind of thing should be banned, or the group should have to change their show, but I can certainly be offended by it.

Is this the same show as Key Poulan's "Classic Schizophrenia"? http://www.keypoulan.com/admin/view_marchi...inal.php?id=137

I have no idea what exact music Churchill is playing, but I'm guessing the title of their show, and a good portion of the music, comes from Danny Elfman's Serenada Schizophrenia. BD played some movements from it this past summer.

So the show design really "needed" straightjackets and padded walls as props? :big hug:

What's for next year, salute to the Civil Rights struggle with German Sheppards and fire hoses? Or how about a nice racial stereotype to go with the MH stereotype? Won't that be a nice "art form".

Yeah, had a distant family member who struggled with MH issues off and on for years. The straightjackets, padded cells and running around in erratic manner is offensive to me. In our case (fortunately) the strongest thing used was meds that needed rebalanced once in a while. And yes the STIGMA which kept these things from being opening discussed was THE biggest hinderance to treatment. This "show" adds to that stigma.

Also given the percentage of people with MH issues in this country willing to bet some members know people with these issues. Who woke up on the stupid side of the bed with this idea?

Edited by JimF-3rdBari

So the show design really "needed" straightjackets and padded walls as props? :big hug:

Unfortunately, I feel some of this is due to judges. I can't tell you the number of times I've had a judge in critique tell me "They just don't get it" and "You need to beat us over the head with it." A lot of times that means playing a stereotype and really nailing home the point. It's the unfortunate setback to being in a judged setting and having to make sure that they "get it".

www.marchingbandplanet.org.

Ever hear of it?

What he said!!!!

So what should I do about this concept I have using the music of Maslanka and calling the show ###### Strength?

Unfortunately, I feel some of this is due to judges. I can't tell you the number of times I've had a judge in critique tell me "They just don't get it" and "You need to beat us over the head with it." A lot of times that means playing a stereotype and really nailing home the point. It's the unfortunate setback to being in a judged setting and having to make sure that they "get it".

:thumbup: Wonder how many of these judges are from the "Time Before Themed Shows"? Still it's hard for me to believe that a fully staffed band put on a show with elements that are demeaning and insulting to a group of people and their family and friends. Either no one had the sense or power to say "Whoa" or the bands placing had a higher priority. What a great lesson to teach the youngsters. :big hug:

Irony for me is my family member started showing signs of mental illness when I was in High School. Much as I loved being in the band my ### would have been out of ther with my families blessing.

Edited by JimF-3rdBari