Spirit Announces 2009 Program

All this conjecture is a matter of trust. The drum corps community does not trust groups outside the top six, or a fast up and coming corps like Blue Stars, to make decision that will be solid for success. I am not knocking Bluecoats at all, love them, but...they release a cool image and people think the show is going to be great. Why, the image is interesting, but anyone who thinks it through knows it is just an image and promises no success in and of itself. This cool image plus of recent love of Bluecoats helps us trust that something great will come from the group this summer.

That's a great point, I think. If Spirit had said they're going to do Billy Joel, we'd raise a metaphorical eyebrow (like folks are doing here), but when the Cavaliers did it...

Mike

• Replies 174
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

the music is kansas is better than that pretentious BS we got the last two years...

This is not what I expected...however, I am very excited. Kansas is my father's favorite band, and I had to listen to them a whole lot growing up. After a while, I began to like them after I became familiar with their music. This could be pretty cool, and even though my dad doesn't know much about drum corps, he'll probably like hearing that a corps is doing their music.

But when cavaliers did it...everyone went "0_o really?"

This is also an example of not considering all of this in context.

Though not everyone's favorite Cavies show, they were great. It hurt that Cavies were being compared to Cavies. Every year cannot be a winner.

They were 3rd. Hello, 3rd. That doesn't suck. I wish they would have stuck with going out on the limb with rock music, instead of back to the formula show in 08, also 3rd place.

Wouldn't most any corps, including Spirit, love to be 3rd?

Bring it on Spirit.

I believe The Knights did some Kansa tunes back in the 80's with a small corps and it worked. I am excited to hear what Spirit does with this HIGH energy music.

I'm sorry, but I just don't think this is going to be a great show. Having marched several of Boerma's brass books, I think he's an arranger that can make just about anything sell...I just don't think Kansas is a great fit for the field.

Maybe it will, but I can't say that I believe it will be a success.

My apologies for not noting the name of the poster who charaterized Kansas as having one hit, but if all you listen to is a classic rock station you're probably only going to hear one or two songs by just about any group.

To understand the essence of Kansas, or any group, you have to go WAY deeper than the Top-40 to "get it."

I've listened to Kansas for years with a "drum corps ear"...you know, where you can actually "hear" an all brass and percussion ensemble performing while listening to the original? There are some great possiilities in the Kansas repertoire.

Before we torpedo this show (not knowing exactly what Spirit will do with it), let's give it a chance, and give the corps a chance in the process.

BTW, I don't think the announcement from Spirit quoted in the first post said anything about actual music selections. It just mentioned a couple of their more popular songs as a reference to the group's success.

Garry in Vegas

I'm happy for two reasons...

1. It's not wind ensemble music.

2. It doesn't take a long dissertation to explain the "concept" or the "vision" that the corps is trying to present.

That's good enough for me. Whether it turns out great or not, at least this isn't a show where the majority of the audience will be scratching their heads trying to figure it out.

Edited by ssorrell

Edited by ajawon

I have not liked much of anything they have done for a decade. They just seemed to have no identity, certainly not like their hey day.

All this conjecture is a matter of trust. The drum corps community does not trust groups outside the top six, or a fast up and coming corps like Blue Stars, to make decision that will be solid for success.

Nothing against Spirit, but the trust level is no where near the same.

I don't agree with must of your post so I edited it, seems you don’t agree with much of your post so we kind of agree

that first line of yours, is why many don't trust them or we trust them to keep putting out the sameish stuff...so when they show me something better for more than one year in a row so I know it wasn't a fluke..

their show last year, IMO, well...

that other chip about the top six, I don't buy it...whne Cavies announced Billy Joel, I was all ugh...I hate Billy Joel

but really being party of the top 6 Means you deliver year after year, so they earned the benefit of the doubt and that shows up in placement

Not sure if I buy this quest for a new identity, I mean every year when you have a new identity ….why are they running from their past so much? They had an identity and they rocked, there is still a lot undone in that identity

To me, a crucial part of identity is being yourself and this reeks of them again, trying not to be themselves… but differently this time