Famous Drum Corps Alumni

The green leaf from the Fruit of the Loom guys marched in the Colts, but he didn't play drums like his alter ego.

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Didn't Peter Bond of the Metropolitan Opera Orchestra (trumpet) march Phantom Regiment?

Yes, he is a regular poster on trumpetherald.com.

-G

Nobody has mentioned Jason Mackenroth, former drummer for Rollins Band (Henry Rollins) and Mother Superior. He has also played for Daniel Lanois and is currently the set drummer for Blue Man Group in Vegas. He marched Sacramento Freelancers in 87 and 88, center snare.

Scott Steward, sop for Freelancers & BD ....plays trumpet for Denver and The Mile High Orchestra, on tour right now with Casting Crowns. I'll see him on Sunday, for lunch and then the concert.

• 2 weeks later...

Glenn Kotche marched in Cavaliers in 1988 or 1989 and is now the drummer for Grammy award wining group Wilco. He recently performed with Indie Classical group "eighth blackbird" on November 18 2008 at the Prestigeous Harris Theater for Music and Dance in Chicago. I attended the performance. Below is my review. Keep in mind my percussive talents are measured by my four years on cymbals.

Glenn Kotche's performance was ...

Very avant garde. Most of the pieces could be best described as a geometric progression of a theme that I can't possibly figure out how to score (musical score). For instance, one piece required the 7 performers to play a 65 note phrase starting with first just the first note, then notes 1 & 2, then notes 1 & 2 & 3, then ... until notes 1 thru 65, then notes 2 thru 65, 3 - 65. Each player ignores the others if they make a mistake and don't attempt to re-synchronize.

The show opened with a hand clapping piece where the performers all clapped the same pattern but never together. sort of a fugue. It was pretty cool. Especially when they all ended together after quite a long progression of members entering and leaving the pattern.

Another 15 minute long piece required the performers to play low, medium or high notes of their choice with everyone synchronized to a non-repeating rhythm without measures or time signature. Dynamics and tempo changes were somehow written into the score. And the performs had some sort of "score" they were reading.

Another piece had Glenn accompanying a prerecorded random percussion piece while a strange shadow puppet film was projected on a large screen behind the performance. His drums were amped and morphed electronically. The grand piano's sounds were morphed with socks filled with BB's and weird shakers placed on the strings.

If this was a book it would contain random words without capital letters or punctuation that are vaguely grouped together to tell a story.

If you've ever heard of the composer Steve Reich, you would have noticed that the music was heavily influenced by his work. Think of it as the percussion equivalent of drumming the Fibonacci series as one song, Prime numbers out to 10 digits is another song. PI to 100 digits to the right of the decimal as another song. etc. etc ...

I was exhausted by the end and not just because of the time of day - 9:45 PM. I'm such a Philistine

Glenn's drum kit was the same sparkle green to champagne center that was photographed in that Modern Drummer article listed below.

Glenn's web site: http://glennkotche.com/

Theater web site: http://www.harristheaterchicago.org/calend...=1391&mos=7

Article in Modern Drummer where he briefly mentions drum corps - check out the color scheme of his drums:

http://glennkotche.com/press/moderndrummer_pdf/md_01_05.pdf

Scott Steward, sop for Freelancers & BD ....plays trumpet for Denver and The Mile High Orchestra, on tour right now with Casting Crowns. I'll see him on Sunday, for lunch and then the concert.

Justin Carpenter, one of the trombone players, marched with the 2004 Cavaliers.

Chick Corea marched with the St. Rose Scarlet Lancers of Chelsea,Mass in the old emass circuit

I was curious to hear how many Drum Corps members went on to do great things in music. One example I know of was Billy Cobham use to march with the St. Catherine Queensmen and is known throughout the world for his jazz. How many other drum corps members have gone on to do great things in music?

-Jesse :thumbup:

Well, I just learned inthe historic thread that JerryGarcia marched Velvet Knights. I thought he was older than that. :shutup: