Corps that needed to be put out of misery

• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think the corps are what they are and to place blame on any one person is a mistake.

People stay out of loyalty, perseverance, friendship, inability to go to a better place, etc.

I have seen corps that were, performance wise, pitiful. but you could tell that they were doing their best not to be pitiful. So, who then, put forth the greatest effort on the field?

The large, well financed corps? Or, the small corps, lacking in everything, but heart, effort and determination?

If you were to start a thread that asked, "Which corps, even if they came up short in your eyes, came out onto the field of competition against all hope of winning?", you would get a better response.

I think the corps are what they are and to place blame on any one person is a mistake.

People stay out of loyalty, perseverance, friendship, inability to go to a better place, etc.

I have seen corps that were, performance wise, pitiful. but you could tell that they were doing their best not to be pitiful. So, who then, put forth the greatest effort on the field?

The large, well financed corps? Or, the small corps, lacking in everything, but heart, effort and determination?

If you were to start a thread that asked, "Which corps, even if they came up short in your eyes, came out onto the field of competition against all hope of winning?", you would get a better response.

My very first corp, The Saint Catherine of Sienna Queenaires were that bad. But here's the thing: we worked hard, saw what could be done and tried like all heck to do that. Our horn instructor Mt. Norman was tireless, but esprit doesn't cut it when you've got little talent to work with and although wearing the cast off uniforms of the once great Queensmen gave us a little cache at first sight - Nope.

When I had the opportunity to remove myself and take that long (over 2 hours bus and subway train commute to Brooklyn) I did. And nearly every single guy in the horn line and drum line decided to beat the ever loving crap out of me every chance they got. I got into a great corps and after a couple years so did others. But that kind of loyalty? And just to be clear - like members move around now, I just wanted to be among winners. And I was. So after seeing everyone else dance around this issue, I will add my: "Don't knock the kids on the field. They are what they are and they are trying."

Puppet

I marched in a corps that many people would say needed to be put out of misery. There was a silver lining in that three of us aged out with three finalist corps in 1980 and countless others went on to other finalist or very competitive corps.

Remember those corps that were so bad you felt embarrassed and wanted to slap the "so-called staff" around for putting the kids through the embarrassment?

What corps would you put on the list?

Kingsmen post 74...let the hate mail begin. :thumbdown:

I think it's tacky to list corps that were less fortunate. Some of the kids marching in them had no other choice. They wanted an opportunity to be able to perform on the field, no matter who it was with. You have to remember, not all kids are able or have the ability to make the cut of a top drum corps.

I think the saddest thing I ever saw at a show was Iron Cross, the old Crossmen "feeder corps" performing at Allentown Prelims in about 1978. If you remember, back in those days all the Open Class corps went on during the morning and the afternoon for prelims, with the top 12 returning that evening for Finals. (What a great, great, LONG day of drum corps!)

Bridgemen were on super early, due to "issues" the year before. Other good or at least larger corps were on early in the morning too. Suddenly Iron Cross took the starting line, and I can't remember if they had 7 horns or 7 kids total. My heart broke for them, and while the fans tried to be encouraging, this just seemed like a cruel exercise to put a group of very young people through.

Now, I'm not at all suggesting that this corps shouldn't have existed (per the original thread) or that there weren't appropriate places for them to perform/compete. I just think that the decision of their staff to put them on in this venue surrounded by all the "big boys and girls" was just wrong and unfair.

My two cents only, and if some of those marching members remember this differently and truly enjoyed the experience, more power to you!

Cheers!

Karen

Corps like Vengeance, Iron Cross, Silver Bullet and the list can go on and on. The kids were the one's getting the shaft because the people"teaching" had no business being in the activity.

Corps like Vengeance, Iron Cross, Silver Bullet and the list can go on and on. The kids were the one's getting the shaft because the people"teaching" had no business being in the activity.

I think that's a bit harsh, how do you determine who has no business being in the activity. Undereducated, underfunded or misguided, maybe but I think most of those who you refer to thought they were doing their best

I have seen people teaching corps that did not know how to teach. I was in a corps in the 70's that had a horn instructor that never marched in corps, never played in corps and didn't know how to teach. His schtick was he "wanted to win!" We were more realistic and saw through this guy. He was fired before the first competition but the damage was done. Maybe I am harsh but for a while I was one of those dedicated kids that stuck it out and endured crappy seasons. I wouldn't say we were terribly embarrassing but when you are last in shows in NY or near the bottom...you know what's going on.

How do you determine? No teaching skills, no people skills, lack of drum corps knowledge, etc. I think most of those who you refer to thought they were doing their best. I slightly agree with you but the point is they did not know how to create a show nor how to teach.

Any NYers remember a winter guard called the Scarlett Knights? Some qualified DC people (big names in this activity) said that the person that did this guard should have been strung up by his *#@&s!" They were ridiculed and called Scarlet Fever.

I think that's a bit harsh, how do you determine who has no business being in the activity. Undereducated, underfunded or misguided, maybe but I think most of those who you refer to thought they were doing their best