That Would Never Fly Now

Trying to discern a theme in these selections:

1977 Guardsmen had a show that included:

Henry V - Walton

Move Over - Duke Ellington

Lincoln Portrait / App. Spring (Shaker Dance) - Copland

Barry Manilow Medley - Mandy & Could it be Magic

I think that closer just makes the whole show - don't you?

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

and of course the song that would Never Fly Now (hence, bringing the title of the thread full circle), Gonna Fly Now, from the first Rocky movie.

besides the fact that the bluecoats used it this year and got a great crowd response?

If I picked "Conquest" BAC would flame me. If I picked "Battle Hymne" the Troopers would flame me. If I picked "Legend of the one eyed Sailor" BD would flame me. If I picked "Rainbow" the Cavs would flame me. If I picked "You'll never walk alone" the Scouts would flame me. If I picked "Send in the clowns" SCV would flame me. If I picked "Danny Boy" 27 would flame me. The list goes on and on. It's a no-win situation. :tongue:

Before drum corps went all "professional" on us, there was less emphasis on coordinating show music with show "theme." That said, there were certainly some interesting musical combinations that today would be looked at askew. Your job, think of a corps show selections that, if done today, would have everyone scratching their heads. The only rule, it has to be a specific corps and a specific year. For example, 1975 Royal Crusaders, then state what they played. And like the other thread, this is not limited to DCI corps.

Ready? GO!

I'd go with "If" by Bread (like anyone would remember that group these days) by the Purple Lancers, 1974...

How about the '92 Velvet Knights? Magical Mystery tour, Brazil, Carol of the Russian Children, Trepak, and Hungarian Rhapsody, among other things. Now we all know VK was known for some off the wall stuff, but that always stood out to me as being extra "WTF?" Great show too.

I believe that show was a "world tour" so while the styles were all over the place they fit together for the theme. They used that theme a couple of times I believe

Hey Fran, didn't the final fanfare after S&SF sound like the last half of "Happy Birthday"?

Yes, there were some "Happy Birthday" quotes written into that fanfare.

Fran

I'd go with "If" by Bread (like anyone would remember that group these days) by the Purple Lancers, 1974...

"If" was our exit in 1977 as well.(Salina Silver Sabres) Others included Brass Roots, Farandole (sp?) Karn Evil #9.