Getting news on the road

Bob J

In 94, we did not find out about the OJ car chase and arrest until a month after it happend. We were executing a "rape and pillage" of a grocery store and we saw it on the cover of People. Man.... life before cell phones and the internet.

We heard about it the next day, as our brass caption head used to read us the daily news and sports updates.

Dick Trickle...

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

We heard about it the next day, as our brass caption head used to read us the daily news and sports updates.

Dick Trickle...

You beat me to it--I was going to mention both. I still laugh thinking about the story of Dick Trickle flipping out after loosing.

USA Today and Drum Corps world were pretty much the two staples for News during tour back in 91 and 93. In 93 one of our Corps housing sites was less then 50 miles away from where they caught Jeffrey Dahmer.

Edited by Zeke

I remember hearing about JFK Jr. dying in the plane crash on the bus. That really sucked. I think it was mid July and I thought aloud....."OMG, who won the NBA Finals?" My DM turned to me and said....San Antonio won...they beat NY. I was, for the first time, truly cut off from the world.

Big events that I remember were the death of the King (Elvis) during Finals week in 1977, and the death of Pope Paul during tour in 1978. Little did I know at the time that 27 years later, I would be in Rome writing about and photographing the funeral of another pope.

We were on a European drum corps tour in 1977 and in Rome the day Elvis died. I watched the television news. The next day we had an audience with the Pope and played Amazing Grace. It was a long 2 days for me. I also remember tour 1978, finals in Denver. My oldest's wedding was April 2nd.

Practicing in Denver in August of 77 we heard Elvis died. After the shock wore off, the drug/fat jokes started flying.

Yup. We were practicing at the School of Mines when we heard about Elvis. I can still remember we were stepping on a bus to go somewhere. Funny how those moments stand still in your mind.

I actually found out most news stories through my phone...through my mom, in particular. I know she told me about Tim Russert's death, as well as when Obama got the nomination. But I had limited internet on my phone, so I was also able to find out about when Tony Snow died, too.

Edited by Mellofone08

In 2007, on the bus ride to the Lubbock show, I got a text message from a friend from home, telling me that the 35W bridge collapsed in Minneapolis. It didn't really hit home until I saw the footage on the TV under the stands that we were watching while waiting for the weather to get better (which didn't happen, show got cancelled.)