Michael "Cozy" Baker Passes Away

JohnD

• Replies 114
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Good by my friend.

Play high and loud forever.

I'm glad I got to hang out with Cozy at last summer's DCI Championships - we had a couple of good laughs. He will be missed. <sigh>

See you shedding a quiet tear for a friend,

- Greg

I never had the pleasure of meeting Cozy, but I have always enjoyed reading his column in Drum Corps World. From the tributes and reminiscences here, he apparently was a great guy to know.

Sincere condolences to the close friends and family of Cozy Baker. We have all lost another friend and 'brother' from our drum corps family, and he will be missed by the thousands of us who faithfully read his "Cozy's Corner."

Rest in peace, Cozy.

I had the distinct pleasure of marching with Cozy in Racine a few years back -- his dog, Shadow, sitting out in front of the hornline in a silent critique.

As others have noted, he perhaps didn't always remember your name or the exact details in how he knew you but his words were always kind and full of life. Whether it was a quick hello in passing or a wide open, intense conversation about any possible topic, it was always apparent that he loved this crazy drum corps activity. Moreover, he loved the participants of said corpsdom.

He is missed today.

He will be missed during the upcoming season.

He will be missed at DCA Championships.

He will be missed forever.

WWBD,

It seems like whether you knew him very personally or just met a few times at a drum corps show, no one will be the same now that he's gone.

The words I read here, especially of those who marched with him or knew him very closely, seem desperate...like trying to reach out and bring him back. It's like no one can believe he's gone.

But he is.

The only true way we can "keep" him around, to even just have a little bit of that feeling we had when we hung with Cozy in the parkinglot before/after a show is to emulate him.

Keep him around by doing the things he did that we loved about him. Love and honor your corps. Realize that from the moment we stop onto the field to the moment we step off, we are all competitors, but other than that, we are all brothers and sisters, not related by blood by what sometimes seems stronger and deeper than blood: a love for an activity that transcends everything: time, race, wars, poor economy. Really love the activity and your fellow corps mates. Its seems to be one of the many personality traits that everyone loved about Cozy.

We are all lucky to know him, to have read his articles, marched with him, competed against him.

Lets all try to be "Cozy" if even just a little bit. It's the best way to keep him around and close to us forever.