Rochester Crusaders and Drum Corps Community Lose a great.

My condolences to the Rogers Family and Drum Corps Community.

WAY TOO YOUNG!!! I will always remember that smile!

Joe Taylor

My prayers and condolences to the Rogers family and to all of the organizations and students that he has inspired during his long and productive career. He will be missed by so many people...which is the real testament to his time on Earth.

Rest in Peace, Rick.

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It has been a long day talking to Rick's many friends on the phone, and watching this thread develop. I am still in shock over this.

What I want to say is about Rick's chops as a drummer and percussionist. Aside from the work he did teaching so many young students how to be a better performer and drummer, he also still was doing it himself. I could look at Rick during rehearsal while he was playing the drum set, and for instance I would only say I wanted a samba feel...and there it was. He knew grooves and had such fluid ability to control his licks on a set that it was remarkable. He could play ANY style of music with ease. I just needed to say this. Most people just knew him as a drum corps teacher and writer, but he was one of the BEST trap drummers I have ever known or played with in my life.

As Joe T said, too young my friend.

Donny

What a shock.

Rick was an amazing man. A guy who you could talk to about anything. An amazing dad, a drum corps great.

This man had a heart of gold. He would do anything for a fellow friend of Corps. He worked with any organization small or large, any level of achievement. He recently even offered to make some drums for the kids in South Africa. As I sit here in Cape Town, SA with a broken heart, I send my warmest thoughts and love to Sara, Josh, and Cheryl.

And, to those Crusaders who have been close to Rick, keep the ethic - and through the tough times, remember to keep the smile Rick always had on his face in your minds.

I will miss your two hour phone calls, Rick.

Dave

On behalf of Sean Green who is in Afghanistan with our military.

Rick was a very dear friend to me, when I came to cru in 1999 he took a kid that was a Contra player and taught me how to play Bass Drum. He never got impatient with me and did the best he could with what he had in me. More importantly he gave me back the love I have for the Drum Corps activity. I will always be a better person for having known him. I am sorry I can’t give this message and my condolences my self because I am deployed to Afghanistan, but please know that Rick’s influence is felt even half way around the world.

Sean Green

On behalf of Sean Green who is in Afghanistan with our military.

Rick was a very dear friend to me, when I came to cru in 1999 he took a kid that was a Contra player and taught me how to play Bass Drum. He never got impatient with me and did the best he could with what he had in me. More importantly he gave me back the love I have for the Drum Corps activity. I will always be a better person for having known him. I am sorry I can’t give this message and my condolences my self because I am deployed to Afghanistan, but please know that Rick’s influence is felt even half way around the world.

Sean Green

I cried when Stacy IMed this to me. It's amazing!

I cried when Stacy IMed this to me. It's amazing!

He was an amazing man and always gave everyone a shot. I received a phone call last night from Kevin Hassan and he told some stories about their time together at the Sunrisers. Lots of great stories

I also was going through some pictures that we have and we keep talking about how he was always smiling. I came across this picture from a show early last year. He performed in the Front ensemble last season with us. The whole Pit looked totally miserable and right in the center was cousin Rick with the BIGGEST smile on his face. I couldn't help but chuckle.

To the rogers family are condolences go out to you. Rick was one of the coolest people that my wife and i have ever met in Drum Corps. I loved talking to him at waterloo outside the school before breakfest on that cold morning last year about Corps. his smile could light up a room and :tongue: his drive and enthusieasim for Crusaders and the activity in general goes far beyond anything I have seen. :sad: Susie and I will miss him dearly I'm trying to hold back crying I dont want to short out my computer(LOL). Kevin and Robert send there condolences as well. Cheryl,josh and Sara Sue and I love you all hope to see you all in Feb if not then March.

Please let us know any details my email is drumcorpnut2003@yahoo.com

I am totally shocked and extremely saddened to hear of Rick's passing. He was always the gentleman and a extremely competent player, arranger and judge. My sincerest condolences go out to his family, he will be missed.

Please post any funeral and visiting hour information here as soon as it is known. There are a lot of his friends and ex-corpsmates from Geneva that want to pay their respects.