Cadets in Parade

I sometime forget just how awesome DCI corps sound and look. Put them near a college band. :thumbup: It's very easy to remember.

Kudos to South Cobb Hugh School Band from Georgia - Director is BAC!

Colts and Cadets were excellent, but in this parade the top dogs were University of Tennessee followed by The Ohio State University.

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The great thing about the parade was that after Obama passed, most of the people went home in my section. so I moved to the very front. But a police person blocked my view. Both groups sounded great!

Colts and Cadets were excellent, but in this parade the top dogs were University of Tennessee followed by The Ohio State University.

in 2000 when I marched in the parade (University of Tennessee) they [the people in charge of the parade] told us that if there were riots [many people were upset about that election if you recall...] we would be one of less than 5 of the 100 bands to give a stand-still performance of sorts to Bush... but that never happened- but it was nice to be thought so well of... :)

I thought that claim to fame belonged to the Govenaires from St. Peter, Minnesota.

http://www.govenaires.org/

As far as I know it is Jubal from Dordrecht the Netherlands, founded in 1911

http://www.jubal.org/

The Scouts and the Governaires are the oldest corps. But, they had years of parade only.

Back in the 20s parades were about all the competition corps had. No idea about Racine Scouts and Govies but some corps stopped field competitions at times and just did the (competative) parade bit.

Just read up on early DC from histories of Racine Boys of '76 and Hanover Lancers. Hard to describe how different things were back then. Boys of '76 had roots from WWI and ended in the 1980s. Lancers existed 1920-1984 then came back as exhibition only.

Edit: Noticed the post on the Gay/Lesbian group. NY paper had an article on two of the members. One is about my age (51) and the other was older but couldn't tell the age by the way they marched (one of the few things I saw in the parade).

Edited by JimF-3rdBari

I had on ABC, as all the other networks had already gone on to the news. I had the order and knew when they would be on, but ABC had something else on at that time. Bummer. (I don't have cable or satellite, so the networks were my only option.)

Same here. I was very unhappy they had local news after ABC said they would have FULL coverage.

I know the local stations can decide what they want to do but in my city ABC has the worst local knews. I'm emialing them and complain.

curious that all of the parade participants had to be credentialed and had to have them on their person the whole way. that had to be a monstrous task for the Secret Service.

Way back in 1984, Spirit played at a fundraiser for an Atlanta politician running for Congress. Pres. Reagan attended and Spirit was given the honor of playing "Hail to the Chief" for the event. We had to surrender our horns and uniforms to the SS for something like 24 hours, so they could inspect everything before allowing us to play and perform. We didn't get our equipment back until we showed up at the hotel where the event was held.

I can only imagine with the beefed up security for this inauguration what a nightmare everything was for the SS and all of the bands concerned. I read somewhere yesterday that the bands had to report to the parade route around 7:30 or so in the morning...what was it...19 degrees then? And then the parade didn't start until after 4pm?

Kudos to anyone that had to endure that kind of scrutiny. And then to stand there and wait for 8 hours or more in frigid temps. Wow!

Dr. Sonjay Gupta....future Surgeon General. Get it right!! Just kidding.

Dr. Sanjay Gupta not Sonjay