Bluecoats Update

I think the Blue Devils-ish argument is off base.

Similar uniforms? That issue is around 37 years late. Both are blue.

Similar music? That's a pretty wild guess if you only know what one piece is. And as for using that one, that fact wouldn't get any mention whatsoever if it wasn't a championship show. But still, it's one piece.

Similar concept? The difference between being imaginative and novel and being almost-absurd is a generous one.

What I saw of their video before my computer randomly stopped working was quite neat. I liked the vocal chorale in the background... I can only assume that's something important, and it sounds nice. The battery stuff was under a mound of dirt, but it's January, and who knows if that's their actual line.

Overall, I'm very excited to see what the show ends up as... but something like this is probably not very competitively safe for them. But that's fine.

The concept is the same as BD...different words to describe the same thing

at least one of you seems to agree with me.

When Bloo unveiled their current uniforms. It was heavily criticized and discussed on here how many people thought they looked similar to BD.

It's still the same piece of music. That's a fact. Here's BD's repertoire from '96:

1996 1 97.400 Club Blue: A Gangster Chronicle - Children's Hour of Dream * Desi * Tess' Theme (from Dick Tracy) * Trouble (from Mission Impossible)

Conceptually..."let's do things that are different and not normally seen by a drum corps show." {paraphrased from Bloo's staff interviews on the video} That's exactly what BD tried to do last year. Now it's yet to be seen exactly how Bloo interprets this idea.

Edited by chaos001

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Honestly, as well as Bluecoats have been playing lately, I haven't much cared what the show theme is. I couldn't give you a short synopsis of what "Connexxus" or however it was spelled was supposed to be "about", but I can easily conjure up the music, even without having heard it for a couple years. BD's show last year was stunning visually--I also have no idea what it was supposed to be "about" (as is true with many "abstract" works). If Bloo can do what they have been doing musically and mix in some of that kind of thing visually, I think it will be a great show, and I don't care what kind of name or theme they decide to use.

Conceptually..."let's do things that are different and not normally seen by a drum corps show." {paraphrased from Bloo's staff interviews on the video} That's exactly what BD tried to do last year. Now it's yet to be seen exactly how Bloo interprets this idea.

I'm pretty sure every drum corps design staff says this in November.

And (not responding to your post) I'm struggling to see the relationship between Cadets 05 and BD 08. Cadets 05 was about a girls descent into four different zones of dreams, each with their own theme and visual idea. BD 08 was based on a poem about risking absurdity and basically found them packing as many absurd concepts and acts into their show as possible (from the skirt-thing to the guard uniforms to the plume bobbing to whatever). Very different.

I have a werid feeling this is going to be a cadets 2005 like show, Some people will love it and others will hate it

Now I have been a fan of bluecoats since 2006 With Connexus (Which to me is still on the of the best shows ever, but then again, its my opinion)

and this one i will have an open mind too when i hear it live at San Antonio this year.

I just hope they don't go too crazy with the idea

I'm pretty sure every drum corps design staff says this in November.

And (not responding to your post) I'm struggling to see the relationship between Cadets 05 and BD 08. Cadets 05 was about a girls descent into four different zones of dreams, each with their own theme and visual idea. BD 08 was based on a poem about risking absurdity and basically found them packing as many absurd concepts and acts into their show as possible (from the skirt-thing to the guard uniforms to the plume bobbing to whatever). Very different.

not Regiment! ;)

Neat video.

Overall, I'm very excited to see what the show ends up as... but something like this is probably not very competitively safe for them. But that's fine.

The design team is bent on taking a few risks with the show that will come to the field in June, and I think that I find it a bit more exciting that way.

The concept is the same as BD...different words to describe the same thing

seriously, chill out. trying something different implies that we are going to do things that are not mainstream. that doesn't mean we are going to do the same thing as another show that explored a theme that was "different"

what im trying to say is that there are different ways to be different.

:smile:

and yes there were saxophones in the recording of Children's Hour of Dream that was playing in the background. clearly that was not a drum and bugle corps recording.

not Regiment! ;)

Yeah Regiment just plays the same #### they have before. How many impact chords were exactly the same?? I lost count..

But I did seriously like Phantom 08 it was a great show, but you need to chill out. You are taking a statement of "something different" as "risking absurdity", two totally different meanings to those statements. One says, "I am going to reach into white space and attempt innovation", the second says, "I am going to do things that no one else does, because they go against any sort of logic that I can fathom".

Edited by idlethreats

There are some posters on DCP, including me, who would say that the Bluecoats looked like the Bluecoats until 2007, at which time they began to look a lot like the Blue Devils.

In 07 when we wore the new uniforms for the first time, we kept making jokes about how we thought we were in the Bluecoats and not the Blue Devils. Seeing the rest of the corps in dark blue and black just felt like I was watching a BD show.