What bugs you...

Wait...could it be? (Nah, no way he'd admit that.)

So, Mike, if all brass and percussion, and no woodwinds/electronics/amplification, is a "distinct sound", then maybe they should have left it alone? The "purpose" of a "drum and bugle corps", from it's very name, should be about drums and bugles (brass), should it not? Doesn't that ensemble have a "distinct sound"?

Garry in Vegas

No, because it's pretty obvious to me that the "sound" has not been frozen at some distant past point as the ones I mentioned have been. If the powers-that-be had decided to go that way along the way...sure. But...they did not...and IMO I like what is...and would like to see even more changes.

I am glad they did not leave it alone, or IMO it would be totally gone by today if it were, say, frozen at 1960 instrumentation. There is no "should" in something like this, again IMO, unless you say it should be what those who decide these things want it to be. It "could" be anything, but it is what it is.

• Replies 290
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What bugs me?

Homers.

It drives me crazy when a member, fan or alum of a corps is so biased that they ALWAYS think that THEIR corps got robbed. When someone refuses (or is unable) to acknowledge the accomplishment of another corps or show, I just feel sorry for them.

What bugs me?

Homers.

It drives me crazy when a member, fan or alum of a corps is so biased that they ALWAYS think that THEIR corps got robbed. When someone refuses (or is unable) to acknowledge the accomplishment of another corps or show, I just feel sorry for them.

Well...you know that's not me, Dave (except for the ring joke, perhaps). I've said any NUMBER on times on this and the BD board that I was thrilled Regiment finally won on their own, especially with that show....even if it was at the expense of my old corps.

New thing that bugs me:

The Mandarins arrangement of Cajun Folk Songs

What bugs me?

Homers.

win

Well...you know that's not me, Dave (except for the ring joke, perhaps). I've said any NUMBER on times on this and the BD board that I was thrilled Regiment finally won on their own, especially with that show....even if it was at the expense of my old corps.

No, Sam, my rant wasn't directed at you or even anybody in particular. I've certainly never thought of you as a homer. Sure, you're proud of your corps (as you should be—the Blue Devils are AMAZING), but you also appreciate a great job by a competitor. To me, awesome is awesome—no matter what color uniform the unit is wearing. And I have enjoyed drum corps a lot more since I have learned to put my personal bias aside. I just wish more people could "get" that. When folks tear down a competitor just to tear them down, all it does is make THEM look bad.

the whole idea of judges and "numbers management"

The idea of leaving "space at the top" drives me crazy

Edited by shostahoosier

No, Sam, my rant wasn't directed at you...

I know it wasn't, Dave....we made peace with each other on that train ride YEARS ago when we first met and I first told you "YOU'VE GOT MY RING!!"

*heh....been awhile for that one!*